Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Braking

Options
  • 20-01-2009 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭

Hey guys

Really silly question: Do I need to have the clutch depressed to brake?

Or can I just brake or will the car cut out if I do this.

thanks for the advice

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭DancingDaisy

You break without pressing the clutch to slow the car down, when you want to stop the car, you should press the break and clutch in before the car begins to struggle. Not sure if I'm describing it particularly well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

Depends on what type of braking you're doing. If you're just braking to slow down you don't press the clutch in but if you're braking to stop, you must press the clutch in before you come to a complete stop.
    In the above situation be careful not to press the clutch as you start to brake as this is called coasting, the clutch goes in at the very end.
    Just to complicate matters a little, if you're stopping in either 1st gear or reverse, you would generally depress the clutch before braking, as you're going so slow in these gears that if you were to brake first, the car would probably cut out.
    In all other gears think of BBC (brake before clutch)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

thats great guys thanks

Advertisement