Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Sligo

Options
  • 20-01-2009 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Ok I'm moving to Sligo in 2 weeks and have no idea where is where! I'm looking to live on the N4 side of town (easy access to galway road!), somewhere quiet and safe as I don't work regular hours.

Any advice on where is dodgy would be great, even if it seems obvious

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Nowhere in Sligo is far from the N4, at least not by Galway standards.

- Do you have a car?
    - I assume you'll be renting?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Galwaaygirl

I mean on the galw side of town, just so I dont get stuck in traffic coming from, say Strandhill side of a Friday afternoon.
    Ya I'll be driving so am looking at a place in Coolooney but am also still considering living closer to town and am a bit weary as I dont know Sligo at all!!!

Will you be working in Strandhill?

(The reason I'm asking all these questions is because in order to NOT get stuck in traffic in Sligo we'll need to know where you're likely to be headed)

No, I'll be working all over actually, community work you might say. I'll be travelling home to Galway whenever I can so I mean I want to avoid living Strandhill side and having to come through town to get on the road home.
    So somewhere on the Galw side of Sligo!!!

Well, Collooney would suit then, if you don't mind living in a tiny town. You'll be about 10-20 minutes closer to Galway that way.

I'd say rents are cheaper than in town as well.

Strandhill side of town isn't the side you want to avoid for traffic, btw. It's only residential and afaik not too bad on the traffic side of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

No, I'll be working all over actually, community work you might say. I'll be travelling home to Galway whenever I can so I mean I want to avoid living Strandhill side and having to come through town to get on the road home.
    So somewhere on the Galw side of Sligo!!!

no from strandhill doesnt means going back to sligo, you can go the otherway and avoid town to go to the n4

Ps gaalway girl do you have bleu eyes and black hair like the song??:D

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭red bellied

Rusheen, Caltragh or Crozon estates are all very handy for getting on the dual carriage way if you are living in town. Shouldnt be hard to find rented accommodation here either. Its sign posted for the Caltragh exit on the new road so you will have no problem finding it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The rent in Colooney, Ballisadare or Coolaney should be cheaper than in town & all have easy access to the Galway road... there's a road from Coolaney that'll take you out past Ballinacarrow.

Thanks, I need all the help with direction I can get I'm sure ye can tell. I actually got lost looking for Bridge Street last week. Properly late-for-interview-lost!!!!
    Maybe Coolooney a bad idea considering I know nobody in Sligo! Think I should be considering town really....

No darealtulip, I don't fit the Galway girls lyrics I'm afraid! Great song all the same.....

Next time you're in Sligo, swing by the tourist office (next to the Cathedral on temple street) and pick yourself up a map :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

print a map off through http://maps.google.com/ type sligo ireland and you can see every thing you want!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

When I first moved here, I didn't leave home without a map of the town for months! If you need any directions or help, just post here and someone will be able to help.

What type of accomodation are you looking for? How many bedrooms, share or not? I agree Crozon/Caltragh area is very handy, but tbh, you will spend time in traffic anyway just getting around the town, getting out of it is fine!

That area is perfectly safe and quiet, its also only a 10 minute walk from town if you didn't want to drive. It is mainly houses though, rather than apartments, so maybe too big for you.

Ya I think I need a good map badly, and a wander around town to get my bearings!!

I'm looking to share with one or two others ideally. Those areas seem to fit the bill thanks guys.

How did you find moving to Sligo, Tequila?

Maps are for women.. just drive like a demon, get lost up some backroad & you'll never forget that place. It's called "manorientation"! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

If its getting back to galway you're worried about, then you should only be worried about living in the town or out north sligo where you have to go through the town to get to galway.

Strandhill, Cranmore, either side of the town thats south of the Garavogue you can get out by back roads and avoid the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Strandhill might be an option with the winter behind us, . There is a road from Strandhill to the n4 interchange at Ballindrehid that avoids Sligo completely. It is a bit out (5 miles) from town but a young person of my aquaintance tells me that "Strandhill is cool". So if beaches surfing, skateboarding is your thing Strandhill might be your place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Strandhill might be an option with the winter behind us, . There is a road from Strandhill to the n4 interchange at Ballindrehid that avoids Sligo completely. It is a bit out (5 miles) from town but a young person of my aquaintance tells me that "Strandhill is cool". So if beaches surfing, skateboarding is your thing Strandhill might be your place.

Qualiy of living is fairly good out there too. Quiet in the winter, nice bars and great buzz in the good weather in the summer. It'll be tough to get somewhere to rent down there for the summer though. Mate of mine was living in a house on the airport road paying average rent (Lets say €600pm for arguements sake) and they are turfed out during summer season as the landlord can get that for a week in peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

cant recomend strandhill enough. Been livin out here since the summer and love it. I reg have to get on the n4 to go to Athlone/Galway for work and always takes the back road to join the n4 and avoid town in the process!Saves a few mins and it is a lovely drive esp on a sunny mornin. When you moving up as i may know someone who is renting a room. Pm me if your interested and welcome to sligo.

frag420 wrote: »
    cant recomend strandhill enough. Been livin out here since the summer and love it. I reg have to get on the n4 to go to Athlone/Galway for work and always takes the back road to join the n4 and avoid town in the process!Saves a few mins and it is a lovely drive esp on a sunny mornin. When you moving up as i may know someone who is renting a room. Pm me if your interested and welcome to sligo.

She hasn't arrived yet & yr hitting on the poor girl. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Time waits for no man!

• Advertisement
Advertisement