Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Eireann job cuts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ironcorona

I'm not sure? Are you taking the loss of Bus Eireann jobs as meaning that the country is in a worse economic condition than you had expected? Because a company with a 16m loss over two years is a company that has to reduce costs.

Or are you talking from the position of someone who works for Bus Eireann?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Nah, I'm selfishy talking about getting work on time! Selfish yes. But Galway and the routes i take i are crap enough as it is and i wonder where they will pull the buses from..

Not denying its a sad day for those employed losing their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

ironcorona wrote: »
    Because a company with a 16m loss over two years is a company that has to reduce costs.

<pedantic>
    profit of 7m in 2007 and loss of 9m in 2008 = loss of 2m over two years.
    </pedantic>

But I agree with you, a company with a 9m loss in one year is a company that needs to reduce costs.

Then again, one would hope that with the economic downturn more people would be taking the bus to work and saving their petrol money. For longer trips it's not cost effective to take the bus, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ironcorona

Sorry I misread that. Well then operating at 9m loss, same difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

bus eireann is suposed to make aloss-surely the guy living out in the back of beyond is entitled to abus service just the same as the guy from tallaght

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    bus eireann is suposed to make aloss-surely the guy living out in the back of beyond is entitled to abus service just the same as the guy from tallaght

The 9m loss is after including the subsidy they get from the government. They're supposed to break even after that.

And no, it's not reasonable for the
    bogger
    person who's chosen to live a long way from anyone else to expect the same bus service as someone who lives in a big urban centre with lots of other people who can share the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

There was some fella on the Matt Cooper show yesterday saying how in the past Bus Eireann have exclusive rights to operate to some of these remote locations that are supposedly making them loses. He went on to say many private bus operators say that they could operate these routes at a profit but Bus Eireann in the past have refused to let them tender for these routes.

Hopefully now if they are pulling out of the remote routes private operators will be allowed to service the areas in question.

Advertisement