Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netgear - restricting access?

Options
  • 20-01-2009 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi - tech dunce here.

I have a Netgear wireless modem that I bought recently (using Smart broadband). Can anyone tell me how I set a password on it to restrict it for my use only..........so as to prevent my neighbours from stealing my broadband access?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

King Ian wrote: »
    Hi - tech dunce here.

I have a Netgear wireless modem that I bought recently (using Smart broadband). Can anyone tell me how I set a password on it to restrict it for my use only..........so as to prevent my neighbours from stealing my broadband access?

Many thanks!

You'll need to set an encrpytion type, WPA2 ideally, and you'll then be prompted for an encryption passphrase.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭King Ian

Spear wrote: »
    You'll need to set an encrpytion type, WPA2 ideally, and you'll then be prompted for an encryption passphrase.

:confused::confused::confused:

How might one do that? As I said, dunce here..........

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

King Ian wrote: »
    Hi - tech dunce here.

Many thanks!

Well it should have come with a manual!!!! Usually on the cd by the way.

Access the wireless security settings - in the same way you accessed the router to set up your Smart settings - http://192.168.0.1 usually for netgear.

Choose your security type - wpa or wpa2 - name your wireless network - enter your password - save your settings and exit.

The newly named network should now show up on your laptop or pc and when you go to enter it you will be asked for your password.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭King Ian

Oh cool, thanks to you both!

Advertisement