Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Friendly Parks - Letterkenny

Options
  • 20-01-2009 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi Guys,
    I do not normally use forums etc. but an issue I have been experiencing here in Letterkenny is driving me nuts and making my blood boil!
    We have a town park currently that does not allow responsible owners to walk their dogs! - All dogs except guide dogs are BANNED! I was excited to hear about another new and much larger park opening in March 2009 and now have been told that dogs are not allowed there either. Its absolutley beyond belief that we as citizens cannot enjoy our local parks with our dogs. I am a responsible dog owner and would never dream of not picking up his poo, I live in close proximity to both parks and I have to actually risk life and limb on occassions to walk him beside the busy road as there is absolutely no where suitable to take him. I understand that owners need to take responsibility for their animals and that many do not, however, its not fair to ban all dogs/owners because of this. Surely the council can come up with some alternative to accomodate everyone in the local community. I just found a petition that has been started - but hardly anyone has signed up. Does anyone else feel like this ? Are there any other frustrated dog owners out there in the Letterkenny area who feel we are being very unfairly treated?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Im pretty sure dogs are allowed in Glencar Park..its not as big as McGlinchey or Ballymacool Parks but its something I suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

This country is a joke and we are far from being an animal friendly nation, quite the opposite in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Dog and Horse owners alike also tend to get a lot of flack for daring to make use of public beaches in Donegal when they'd be completely desolate otherwise for 10 months of the year! All of a sudden when the sun comes out people start complaining that we've no right to be there, when we've been there year round and suddenly we are not allowed to make the most of the good weather because other people want to and are worried about being bitten, trampled or catching rabies or some such rubbish! I'm not so hot on peoples kids running round me screaming while their parents laugh at how cute it is, but you don't see me trying to ban kids from public beaches and parks ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

They should ban parents of small children from beaches - as I've often come across used nappies.

Advertisement