Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend somewhere to get a 8cup 1L Chemex?

• 20-01-2009 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Has anybody seen where you can buy a 8 cup chemex at a reasonable price? It is supposed to hold 40oz, which is just over a litre.

Any opinions on them too?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Check hasbean. I am pretty sure they stock several sizes, not sure about the size you specified.

Think I'll order one myself with next bean order, even if just for the novelty factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Hasbean, email Steve, I believe he's waiting on a delivery, though if you email him, he might have one about. I have the 6-cup, which I usually brew just 500ml with, but it can take up to about 1l (900ml anyway).

They're very nice looking, the design is wonderful. In the cup it's lovely and clean as you'd expect from paper filter. Is it any better than a mellita filter cone with paper? - I don't think so really. Back to back cups of the same coffee using the same grind, and the same brew time, show very little difference in the cup.

You may have seen Jim Hoffman's recent video about the process:

http://www.squaremileblog.com/2008/12/27/videocast-3-chemexpourover/

It's a sound technique, one I've been replicating. The only thing I would add is the use of a thermocouple / thermometer to have a consistent starting brew temp.

3210146137_e25d4de033.jpg
    3210146535_a6c2c70a3f.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 MarcoB

Thanks a lot guys.
    RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    It's a sound technique, one I've been replicating. The only thing I would add is the use of a thermocouple / thermometer to have a consistent starting brew temp.
    That is exactly what I am developing at the moment, and it was actually requested by squaremile. It is a font system which will dispense into the Chemex at specific temperatures. I have a prototype rig made which is surprisingly stable, I am able to get water to between 90-100C at approx +/- 0.2C for 1 litre being dispensed, usually it is stable within +/-0.1C.

Sounds like a cool project. Maybe taking the idea more in the direction of something like the clover, rather than the more traditional chemex.

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    Sounds like a cool project. Maybe taking the idea more in the direction of something like the clover, rather than the more traditional chemex.
    I would like to get to do some tests on the Clover, it is meant to have a very stable temperature and I wonder how they acheive this. You get temperature drops & fluctuations in most machines. I tried a few concepts before hitting on the current design, which is quite simple but requires manual control, which I figure some baristas might actually prefer.

The test rig is working well but is put together out of bits & bobs, I have to put a housing on it. Hopefully the finished prototype will be up and running at our (marco beverages) stand at the Catex exhibition in the RDS in feb.

http://www.catexexhibition.com/

I emailed Steve, he had one 10cup chemex left which is now on its way to me. Thanks again!

• Advertisement

I might check it out at Catex, I'll be there for the IBC anyway. The Clover gets stable brew temp using a PID controller, and some sort of solid state relay.

MarcoB wrote: »
    That is exactly what I am developing at the moment, and it was actually requested by squaremile.
    James Hoffmann has the unit discussed on his blog now.

http://www.jimseven.com/2009/02/11/the-marco-uber-boiler/#more-826

3270719150_2b6ced0e08.jpg

Saw the machine in action at CATEX. It behaves exactly as described, and the French Press I had of Muchoki from it was superb.

Would love to see some Irish Cafes embracing high end filter coffee stuff (as well as some high end coffee to match it).

Chuffed that an Irish company built this also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

*Gorgeous*

I want one :pac::pac:

Advertisement