Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

things to bring to rally ireland

• 20-01-2009 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on things to bring to sligo for the rally its my first time going and id like to be prepared

ill get the ball rolling wit a good flash light

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Well, as someone who's spent many a day in the past standing around in freezing cold and/or wet weather for hours on end waiting to see rally cars come tearing by, I'd have to say warm clothing and rainproof/wet weather gear is essential, especially at this time of year in this country. You'd be surprised at the number of people who show up at rallies in cold weather wearing light clothing or just a t-shirt and jeans. I've even seen girls at some rallies in the past wearing low-cut tops, very short mini-skirts and FMBs! ;):D Great to look at, admitedly, but when you see them shivering to death you have to feel sorry for them!

For sure, I'd say wear layers of clothing. I'd go with a t-shirt, then a jumper or sweater and then a good, warm fleece over that....... at the very least! Have a windbreaker or a good rain jacket handy that you can throw on if it starts p!ssing rain as well. A warm hat or beanie to keep the old noggin warm too. Gloves would probably be a very good idea this time of year as well. Good warm socks are essential and carry a spare pair too, just in case you get soaked. Nothing worse than having to stand around in wet socks or walk to stages with your feet squelching! And wear some proper footwear, a good strong pair of walking boots (runners will only end up getting soaked through if it's wet or raining), because you're inevitably going to do a fair bit of walking getting to stages.

The likes of the gloves, spare socks, rain jacket, etc. can be kept in a backpack until you need them. You can also use the backpack to hold your programme/stage maps, camera/camcorder if you have one (you're inevitably going to want to try and take some pics/video if you get the chance. I know I would anyway! ;) ) and there's no harm in bringing something to eat as well, a packed lunch/few sandwiches and maybe a flask of tea or soup or something warm like that as well because you don't know how long you'll be out in the cold or when you might get a chance to get something to eat.

Well, that would be my rally "survival kit", if you will! :D I'm sure others here will come up with more suggestions to help you out or mention something I've bound to have forgetten! ;) Most of all, though, be careful and keep your eyes open, listen to the marshalls and what they have to say (I know they get a lot of slack but they really are there for your safety and to help you) and enjoy yourself! Oh, and don't forget to post any pics you take up here for all of us to see! ;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

Aidan says it all right there.
    I have nothing else to add but wrap up warm and take some spare clothes socks etc.
    Good walking boots or wellies at thi time of year might be needed too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

unless you look good in said "low-cut tops, very short mini-skirts and FMBs" of course ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Due to the nature of Rally Ireland & the possibility of long walks from the car to stages, long waiting periods and the weather this time of year, dependant on where you are staying I would advise bringing a flask (that fits into a backpack) to fill with hot water for a cuppa (coffee, tea, soup ...or what takes your fancy) and make/pick-up a few sandwiches, nibbles for stage-side, never know when you might need a pick-me-up.

Most have it covered above, my list is: Boots, hiking socks, spare socks, thermal underwear (not sexy but to be appreciated in the cold), wooly hat, water-proof gloves, fleece, 3-layer wind-proof jacket, body warmer, ear muffs, wet-gear, complete chage of togs in the car incase of submersion/torrential rain, vasaline for the wind-beaten lips, scooter (too lazy to walk miles), small foldable (fishing-type) stool, car-charger for phone, camera (& plastic cover to protect from rain, if expensive!)...oh and beer drinking civvies - to look almost normal!

I've been standing in hedges since I was able to stand...the list of desirable equipment gets longer each time, but always worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Layer up like an onion. That's the key. Also, you could bring an umbrella, cause often in rallies if you're on a raised ditch it doesn't impede anyone's view. Obviously if it's going to be in someone's way, don't use it. Last year in the NI stages on the Saturday it was lashing all day. Myself and my mate were under the umbrella and dry, glad we had it. In a field with feck all other people up at a fence, so no one's view was blocked!
    Have the car full with fuel cause you could be a while in traffic. Wellies are ideal, and thick socks so that they're more bearable for the long walks. In the summer rallies I bring a good pair of boots, but for weather like today wellies are the only job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

De Hipster wrote: »
    I've been standing in hedges since I was able to stand...the list of desirable equipment gets longer each time, but always worth it!

You said it! Nothing like experience to teach you what you need to bring. Like yourself, I've been standing in fields, on stone walls and on hedges for nearly 25 years at this stage and when you've had a fair few soakings in that time or nearly ended up with hypothermia because of the cold, you definitely learn a few lessons from that and learn that the old boy scout's motto of "be prepared" most definitely applies when it comes to being a rally spectator! :D

For the O.P., as Biro said an umbrella is essential this time of year too. Can't believe I forgot that in my first post! :rolleyes: I knew there would be something I'd forgot somewhere! Make sure it's a good strong (preferably big, too) umbrella as well, none of those cheap pocket yokes that are liable to blow inside-out and collapse at the first little gust of wind. I've a great big old Maxol umbrella that has served me very well over the years and has yet to blow inside-out or collapse on me even once yet and that's even after seeing some pretty strong gusts over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

After standing out on Saturday at the Ford Testing session, I'm now adding ski-trousers to my list of items, bought extra hiking socks yesterday too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

A watch, and set it ten minutes fast so you don't miss any of the action.
    Hate walking up to the stage and hearing the first cars go by, often takes longer than you think to walk from that muddy hole in the ditch where you've abandoned your car to the where the action is.

Id also suggest taking a flask of tea/coffee and some sandwiches or something if you are planning on staying on a stage for a few hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Slightly off topic, just wondering typically how long between the first car through the stage and the last? trying to do up some kind of plan for the weekend now but don't think i'll get in two stages in one morning or afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Slightly off topic, just wondering typically how long between the first car through the stage and the last? trying to do up some kind of plan for the weekend now but don't think i'll get in two stages in one morning or afternoon.
    The WRC runs at 2 minute intervals so you're looking at 80 mins max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

looking at the weather here at the moment a plastic sheet and an anchor might be suitable see you on glenboy tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭adeypius

looking at the weather here at the moment a plastic sheet and an anchor might be suitable see you on glenboy tomorrow

:eek: what you makin ~ a kite or a boat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

well loeb reckoned he needed a boat and watching on glenboy i couldnt disagree (plastic to cover you anchor to hold it down :D

managed to get dried out on the way back going to have a nice hot shower now and cook me tea.

hopefully the weather might be better tomorow and sun might bring out a few more spectators rather than the nutters we were today

I was out at two stages today and can confirm that full waterproofs and wellies are the order of the day.
    I just had good boots and jeans and trust me it wasnt enough because both fields were flooded and ended up being big mud baths. Ill have the wellies on me tomorrow.

Advertisement