Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Digiweb Metro

Options
  • 20-01-2009 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Someone i know was asking me about Digiweb metro.

He says he has a modem(?) and wants to get a wireless router so he can use his laptop around his house

He was saying the tech told him he has to connect the router to the modem that digiweb supplied?

I dont no anything about Metro so if someone could inform me some info that would be great (watty! :pac:)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

He just needs an ethernet router (not modem) and connect it via ethernet to his Digiweb modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You need an Router/WiFi box with a fifth "ethernet WAN" port, not the kind with a phone socket for ADSL.

Sometimes they are called ethernet Routers, other times Cable Routers or Cable/DSL Routers. They have no built in modem for cable or DSL/ADSL.

Connect the separate ethernet port (usually different colour or slightly separate from other 4) direct to Modem ethernet port.
    Unplug Modem from mains, count 10 and plug it in again so it gives an IP address to the Router instead of the PC/Laptop/

Follow the Router's manual to access its web page via ethernet first and set up WiFi with WPA. No software need be installed, even if there is a CD. The "WAN" or "Internet" ethernet port just needs DHCP/Automatic IP and Automatic DNS.

You may use Static IP or DHCP for the laptop. The DNS and Gateway for the Laptop are always the IP of the Router/Firewall/WiFi.

Even if not using WiFi and only one ethernet I recommend EVERYONE with Metro, Cable, Ripwave, FWA Wireless gets such a gadget as the Firewall part stops the majority of internet attacks. Otherwise disable your telnet server, Microsoft Sharing and Microsoft client, Server and Computer Browser in services or Network card properties

Works for any OS.

Maplin, Argos, Komplett, Dabs and others sell suitable Routers + WiFi.

An ADSL/DSL "only" Router with built in modem for phone line can't be used at all.

Dlink, Buffalo, Netgear, linksys, Sitecom are brands possible.

Look for 54G or 54G turbo compatibility. There is virtually no value to a more expensive 802.11n or "N" WiFi as the Laptop is unlikely to have it and even old 11Mbs 802.11b is fast enough for up to 6Mbps Broadband.

The WiFi part should be compatible with 802.11b (11Mbps) and 802.11g (54Mbps) as a minimum. 802.11a, 802.11g Turbo (108Mbps) and 802.11n(250Mbps) are no harm as long as the first two modes supported. MiMo is no harm as an option, but not needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Brilliant Watty couldn't ask for more, he will be delighted with this information :)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭bindybandy

watty wrote: »
    Y
    Look for 54G or 54G turbo compatibility. There is virtually no value to a more expensive 802.11n or "N" WiFi as the Laptop is unlikely to have it and even old 11Mbs 802.11b is fast enough for up to 6Mbps Broadband.

Good post Watty but I thought I'd throw my own recent experience in just on that last bit as I just upgraded to an 'N' speed router.
    I had a 54G Netgear router for 3 years and it was ok but had to be constantly rebooted for the past few weeks to maintain a connection so it must have become faulty.
    Even when it worked fine, it used to take ages to stream files between my other pc's and PS3. I also had some online gaming lag issues despite being only 3 rooms away from the router (was fine when I was 2 rooms away but had to give up my pc room for new arrival in the house).

So off I went to PC world and bought a Belkin Wireless N for 69 Euro a week agoand the difference is amazing so far. With the Netgear, I used to connect at 36megabits to the router this one does it at 150megabits (or so the windows icon tells me anyway). With the Netgear, the best I could stream files was at 5mb per sec but this manages 15mps so it seems to be 3 times faster and my online gaming is lag free. So while there is nothing wrong with your advice what I'd say is for the sake of a few quid more (69 was cheap enough) might be worth considering a faster one in case at some point your speed needs change like you get a second pc or Xbox etc. True the laptop might not connect that fast but I got a usb adapter in the box so that could be used with the laptop as needed if you don't mind plugging something in.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

However
    http://i.gizmodo.com/5133627/belkin-rep-pays-for-positive-reviews-of-belkin-products-on-amazon

And
    http://i.gizmodo.com/5134652/belkin-employee-sheds-light-on-belkins-supposedly-dirty-practices?skyline=true&s=x

I bought 3 Belkin WiFi USB adaptors, same package, same model, same shop, same day. ALL 3 used different incompatible drivers, had different chipsets, yet looked identical and no plugNplay between the laptops!

The OP has I think just one Laptop,

I have many Laptops & PCs and server. Some of it uses 108Mbps TurboG wifi and some 1Gbps ethernet. Six laptops. Archos and E65 phone have built in WiFi, none are "N". It's a MIMO router that supports 11Mbps and 54Mbps/108Mbps at the same time.

The Router and the laptop need to both have "N" and signal needs to be good also. It only helps LAN speed, not the Internet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement