Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptop disk drive on the fritz... HELP!!!

Options
  • 20-01-2009 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

so, my laptop decided to stop reading cds.:(

any time i put them in, it tries to read them, then eventually does nothing. i've tried to start them manually, in the control pannel, but to no avail. it just says ' insert a disk'. you can hear the noise it normally makes when trying to read disks... but its not reading them.

its a sony vgn n31z, it thats any help... running on windows vista.

as you can imagine, its fairly annoying, seeing as i need it to play and cd's, or even any games that require a disk to be read.

anyone have any suggestions on what to try? i need this fixed soon, as i'm going to berlin next week and i need it there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

are you in dublin?, try right click on camden street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cathalred88

yeah, drumcondra to be exact.

any thing i can try myself? or price estimates for repairs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the folks in the laptops forum should be able to help, best of luck:)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

^^^^^^
    yeah what he said

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Moved to Laptops.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

You could try cleaning the drive itself with a Cd cleaner kit, But it sounds as if the drive is busted. If it's under warranty get it replaced. If not fit a new drive yourself ~ €60-70 euro or get somewhere to install it for you. Can't tell you off hand how you replace the drive on that model

Hopefully it's a standard CD drive and ya only have to change the bezel.

Advertisement