Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway alliance against war

Options
  • 20-01-2009 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

For such a small organisation they seem to get an awful lot of media coverage:confused:. They seem to have weekly letters in the advertiser and flag waving ceremonies in town every saturday. Last weekend they were protesting outside Galway shopping centre.

Im getting tired of seeing and hearing them everywhere i turn. Anyone else feel the same?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

No.

Have you considered starting a pro-war alliance and getting media coverage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 JStand

snubbleste wrote: »
    No.

Have you considered starting a pro-war alliance and getting media coverage?

Ive just moaned about media whores why would i want to become one:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

+1 for the pro-war alliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

+1 for the Pro-War Alliance

Instead of Food Not Bombs lets have Food for Bombs (Hot curry that gives people a bad case of the trots)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Have they ever protested against any war that didn't involve the USA, GB or Israel?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

galwayrush wrote: »
    Have they ever protested against any war that didn't involve the USA, GB OR Israel?:rolleyes:

So true. They really do get a lot of attention.
    There seems to be a group in Galway that just want something to moan about , the bypass & the airshow being examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

schween wrote: »
    So true. They really do get a lot of attention.
    There seems to be a group in Galway that just want something to moan about , the bypass & the airshow being examples.
    Not forgetting almost all developements proposed.
    Same people seem to be against everything.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Wompa1 wrote: »
    +1 for the Pro-War Alliance

Instead of Food Not Bombs lets have Food for Bombs (Hot curry that gives people a bad case of the trots)

+1 for the curry trots campaign.

Replace skud missiles with scutters, I say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭5times

Have they ever protested against any war that didn't involve the USA, GB or Israel?:rolleyes:

Exactly right. It seems that if people are getting killed by countries other than the above, it's fine. Seems to me that they are just attention seekers that target the countries it's "politically ok" to bash. Wonder if they've ever thought of visiting the North/South Korean border and protesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

No is the short answer. At this time there are 26 ongoing wars and conflicts around the world, 9 of which, are causing the violent deaths of at least 1000 people a year. And why don't they campaign for the prevention of war, a prime example is Zimbabwe, were there is a very real possibility of civil war.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bearclaire

vulcan57 wrote: »
    No is the short answer. At this time there are 26 ongoing wars and conflicts around the world, 9 of which, are causing the violent deaths of at least 1000 people a year.

no one would be saying there fed up with this group, if we were in a war torn country and a real possiblilty of loosing innocent lives everyday.
    im grateful for being in this country. counting blessings

so no im not fed up... but i am fed up with war, and lifes being taken for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

bearclaire wrote: »
    no one would be saying there fed up with this group, if we were in a war torn country and a real possiblilty of loosing innocent lives everyday.
    im grateful for being in this country. counting blessings

so no im not fed up... but i am fed up with war, and lifes being taken for no reason.

+1

Yes, they could campaign against all 26 (or whatever it is was), but their efforts are better targetted at conflicts where Ireland's opinion might have some chance of influencing things.

Good on them for caring, and good on them for finding out what it takes to get media coverage and getting it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

JustMary wrote: »
    Good on them for caring, and good on them for finding out what it takes to get media coverage and getting it.
    By media coverage you mean lengthy, rambling letters in the Advertiser alongside John O'Shea's latest missive, someone cultureless American looking for any O'MacHanrahanran's that lived in Galway between March 1872 and St Swithin's Day 1874 and a diatribe from An Taisce about anything that may be constructed from now until the end of the world?

Some day, I'll take some bottle rockets and start firing at them on Shop St. Then we'll see what their measured and proportional response is...

War is a terrible thing, and I don't think anyone on here would deny that. The problem with the GAAW is their utter one sided and selective view of war. Their answer to the letter linked in post number 6, about the Russian navy down the west coast, was that they are not privvy to the military information that the writer did. That information was on practically all the major news channels and their websites amongst many other forums. If they were so interested in this topic these would be the places they would be keeping an eye on. The recent Iraeli attacks on Gaza were only a day or so old when they were crying foul, yet the slaughter of innocents in the Mumbai attacks were 3 weeks old before they even mentioned it, and then only because the fact of their silence was highlighted in a letter in the Advertiser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

but their efforts are better targetted at conflicts where Ireland's opinion might have some chance of influencing things.

Wake up woman Ireland is a small Nation with little if any Political sway in world Politics, the most a Non Alligned Nation can do is shout out "Condemn".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

War is a terrible thing, and I don't think anyone on here would deny that. The problem with the GAAW is their utter one sided and selective view of war. Their answer to the letter linked in post number 6, about the Russian navy down the west coast, was that they are not privvy to the military information that the writer did. That information was on practically all the major news channels and their websites amongst many other forums. If they were so interested in this topic these would be the places they would be keeping an eye on. The recent Iraeli attacks on Gaza were only a day or so old when they were crying foul, yet the slaughter of innocents in the Mumbai attacks were 3 weeks old before they even mentioned it, and then only because the fact of their silence was highlighted in a letter in the Advertiser.

just looked for the response.
    http://www.galwayindependent.com/letters/letters/no-double-standards-on-gaaw-part-/

so it's the military industrial complex now...
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Steyr wrote: »
    Wake up woman Ireland is a small Nation with little if any Political sway in world Politics, the most a Non Alligned Nation can do is shout out "Condemn".

I'm wide awake.

Agreed, the most a small nation can do is make noise.

But that noise can, if appropriately targeted, have an effect.

As someone famous once said "all it takes for evil to flourish is for good people to say nothing" (or words to that effect).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

As someone famous once said "all it takes for evil to flourish is for good people to say nothing" (or words to that effect).

all it takes for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing.

• Advertisement

On Sky news this morning. Between 100 and 150 thousand civllians caught between fighting factions in Sri Lanka. lets see how long it takes the GAAW to pick up on this one. I for one wont be holding my breath!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

I know they're not quite the GAAW but it was funny walking down Shop St the last day, someone is trying to annoy the Galway branch of Hamas! Posters had been stuck up on the wall of Taafes, describing people as Nazis and anti-semites, who did not support the Israeli government's action in Gaza. Yesterday they had been ripped off and replaced with Wanted for War Crimes Posters depicting several members of the Israeli cabinet. Fun fun fun.

On Sky news this morning. Between 100 and 150 thousand civllians caught between fighting factions in Sri Lanka. lets see how long it takes the GAAW to pick up on this one. I for one wont be holding my breath!

Now 1/4 million civillians squashed between Sri Lankan forces and Tamil Tigers. Reports of civillians being forced into fighting the Sri Lankan forces by the Tamil Tigers and so being killed by returning fire. Terrible situation, but yet another week on and still not a meg out of the GAAW, just proves with out a doubt that they are anti US, UK and Israeli and nothing else matters and that GAAW should stand for Galway Against Anything Western!.

ARGINITE wrote: »
    all it takes for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing.

I think the best thing to do would be nothing. If everyone just stops doing everything the goverment will have to give in because the economy would collapse and they'd have nobody to serve...groovy man! Maybe tomorrow though I'm busy today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

GAAW must be all of a dither since Obama came to power. No one will take them seriously if they attack him. They still have Israel but for how long? No doubt they'll wander off and try another cause somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

GAAW must be all of a dither since Obama came to power.

Ah Bush will be fondly missed by their likes. He propelled what were krusty malcontents into the mainstream, they had 8 good years of it. Now back to similar images of a handful of protesters at the airshow pre 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

No doubt they'll wander off and try another cause somewhere.

Hopefully not in Galway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

woohoo! war! war! war! drop the bomb!

GAAW must be all of a dither since Obama came to power. No one will take them seriously if they attack him. They still have Israel but for how long? No doubt they'll wander off and try another cause somewhere.

I say change the Gaza appeal to the Gazza appeal. Everyone in curly black wigs wearing England jerseys (Ohhh controversial) and holding signs saying get well soon Paul! I think it could be what he needs on the road to recovery and imagine the publicity from that eh?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement