Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Price differences in negotiations

Options
  • 20-01-2009 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭

Guys,

Little bit of advice required. I plan on going to my regular ford dealer in the morning to look for an 07 focus. My problem is that their website has used 07's for 17k whereas I can find many focuses in similar dealers in parts of Dublin for 12 to 14k.

My problem is, do I straight and tell my own dealer this when talking about prices or what would your advice be?

Will be trading in a car so this is not straight cash deal.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

In the case of trading in a car, you are not worried about the price of their car, you are worried about the cost to change.

One dealer might have it for 14K, and one for 17K, but they both still could ask you 7K to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

So at this moment in time, prices online are of little use to me?

*Forgive my ignorance by the way, this will only be my second car, first one was as simple as a family recommendation, me walking into dealership and driving out. All advice on this next trade up is very, very welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Draupnir wrote: »
    So at this moment in time, prices online are of little use to me?

Pretty much. It doesn't matter if so and so has the cheapest car, if they are going to allow you very little on yours their origional low retail price is of little benifit to you. Find a few cars you like, prices irrelevant, then get you cost to change. Although some people can be greedy, and have a high price and low trade in value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

The best way to see what the best deal is is to go to the dealer who's got the cheaper car and see what the cost to change is, then go to the dealer with the car you like and see what their cost to change is.

If they're similar, as LM says, at least you're comparing apples with apples.
    If they're wildly different, that's the time to pull a print out of the cheaper car out of your pocket and say "why's this car so much cheaper than yours?".

My one piece of advice is to go to the dealer you want to buy from last, rather than the natural instinct of going to them first. Give them a chance to beat the best price.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Draupnir wrote: »
    Guys,

Little bit of advice required. I plan on going to my regular ford dealer in the morning to look for an 07 focus. My problem is that their website has used 07's for 17k whereas I can find many focuses in similar dealers in parts of Dublin for 12 to 14k.

My problem is, do I straight and tell my own dealer this when talking about prices or what would your advice be?

Will be trading in a car so this is not straight cash deal.

Cheers.
    I went to a garage recently asking about trading a 07 car 18,000 miles on clock for a different make of car brand new. I was told that they would find it hard to sell my car so they advised me to hold onto it or else take a bit hit on the value of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement