Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

havent paid credit card for 3 years

Options
  • 20-01-2009 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

I have been away for the last few years and neglected to pay off my card.when I rang up the bank,they said my account had been cut off and referred to a debt company of some sort, and fowarded me to someone else who said that I owed 1500.500 of which was interest (I think).So I started to put money away to pay it off in one go , however now I have found myself unemployed.Its not much money but Im still finding hard to pay it off.

How much damage will this have this have done to my credit rating.will this affect me if I want to get a mortgage in the future.
    Please help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

well in fairness of course its going to effect you in the future. Its not going to look good that you didnt pay for 3 years:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I think the credit rating limit is 7 years. So, if you pay it off tomorrow, you'll be good to get a loan again on the 23rd of January 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I have been away for the last few years and neglected to pay off my card.when I rang up the bank,they said my account had been cut off and referred to a debt company of some sort, and fowarded me to someone else who said that I owed 1500.500 of which was interest (I think).So I started to put money away to pay it off in one go , however now I have found myself unemployed.Its not much money but Im still finding hard to pay it off.

How much damage will this have this have done to my credit rating.will this affect me if I want to get a mortgage in the future.
    Please help.

Order an ICB report and find out whats on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

bills wrote: »
    well in fairness of course its going to effect you in the future. Its not going to look good that you didnt pay for 3 years:confused:

Ya I know , you tend to forget about this when your on a beach somewhere sunny.

In 7 or 8 years Ill be just about ready to get mortgage so maybe im not too bad.:D

ICB report looks like the best idea thanks for that, I didnt know it was possible to get one of these.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Brainz

Believe it or not this might not even show on the ICB it depends what credit card company you where with. .

if this is the case then you could be in the clear and have yourself a clear credit rating . . .

if it is the case that your icb is clear you might be best off getting a solicitor to do a judgement search to make sure that there hasnt been a judgement registered as it has been passed over to a collection agency -

If there has been a judgment registered well then you could be in a tricky situation if you ever go to get a mortgage . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Brainz wrote: »
    Believe it or not this might not even show on the ICB it depends what credit card company you where with. .

if this is the case then you could be in the clear and have yourself a clear credit rating . . .

if it is the case that your icb is clear you might be best off getting a solicitor to do a judgement search to make sure that there hasnt been a judgement registered as it has been passed over to a collection agency -

If there has been a judgment registered well then you could be in a tricky situation if you ever go to get a mortgage . . .
    What's this judgement lark ?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Brainz

basically when you dont pay your bills and it is passed to a 'debt collector' if the cant get payment they go to court to start legal proceedings to get the money the owe if the cant recover this they can register a judgement against you.

quoted from MABS
    The worst thing you can do is ignore the summons, do nothing and hope that it will go away. The creditor will almost certainly apply for a judgment against you and will proceed to enforce this judgment to get their money. Ignoring later summonses that ask you to attend court to explain your circumstances could result in you facing prison, even though the debt itself is fairly small, as you may be considered to be showing contempt for the legal process.

I havent heard anything from them in 2 years.the last thing i recieved was a letter telling me to contact the debt collectors office which i didnt do because i was away.i did contact the bank when i returned however who basically just told me what i owed.Im currently trying to pay off this ridiculous debt so that i can avoid any further action.
    thanks for all your help

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

So I started to put money away to pay it off in one go

What was the logic behind that decision?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

No wonder the banks are in trouble, its all your fault.

What was the logic behind that decision?
    I was getting paid cash,workin 9-6 mon-fri , no time to go to the bank , this seemed like an easier option.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

nipplenuts wrote: »
    I think the credit rating limit is 7 years. So, if you pay it off tomorrow, you'll be good to get a loan again on the 23rd of January 2016.

Thats not strictly true.

The bad debt shows up on their checks alright. It doesnt mean that they will not give you a mortgage, loan etc. They will just take it into consideration in deciding whether or not to grant loans/mortgage to you.

Of course thats on the basis you have paid it off.

Its small figure amount and you can just blag your own excuses on why it wasnt paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I was getting paid cash,workin 9-6 mon-fri , no time to go to the bank , this seemed like an easier option.

Pay off what you can when you can directly to the overdrawn account. If you're saving money in your sock drawer you're getting no interest (and its very tempting to dig into when you're broke) and you will be charged interest on the amount overdrawn. So you pay more on an outstanding bal of 1500 than 1K

You could get postal orders in the post office & with some credit cards you can lodge directly to them at the post office.

Advertisement