Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ag. Science *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Cheiba wrote: »
    And one final thing, from what I understood from my teacher, we should write weekly entries. What I thought that meant was to go see the farmer, ask them what happened over the week and write it down. Should I only be writing what I see or what happened over the week?

Ask your teacher what they want, they will be grading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 gerard98

So I live on an a livestock(sheep,cattle) and tillage farm. What should I aim to to be taking photographs of for my project or should I just try to get everything I can?

Thanks in advance for any replies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

gerard98 wrote: »
    So I live on an a livestock(sheep,cattle) and tillage farm. What should I aim to to be taking photographs of for my project or should I just try to get everything I can?

Thanks in advance for any replies

Take pics of diff breeds. Calvin pens. Cubicles. Machinary(this really isnt important tough) Round bales
    Slurry tank
    Milking parlour. Bulk tank
    Medicines of animals. Fields.Sheds.Slats.Housing.Feed.Passports.Equipment.

Thats only from the top of my head. Maybe someone else can Include something I forgot.
    But when I went to a farm I took pics of everything but thats because it wasnt mine. So to save time and hassle.

If you read post no.13 by rainbow trout.
    He/she explains it very good.

Just a question I had here aswell, is it true that if you do ag science some colleges won't let you put it in your top 6 subjects for points with biology as they are very similar!!!!
    The subjects im counting and doing are maths.bio.chem.business.economics.ag
    So that means Ag wont count?!?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

You'll be fine, in that case Applied Maths, Maths and Physics could all be lumped in.

Biology isn't that similar anyways

Just a question I had here aswell, is it true that if you do ag science some colleges won't let you put it in your top 6 subjects for points with biology as they are very similar!!!!
    The subjects im counting and doing are maths.bio.chem.business.economics.ag
    So that means Ag wont count?!?!

No that's not true. That rule changed in 2005. You can count ag science and biology both for points if they are in your top 6.

Just a qs I had in regarding soil, if you dont mind answering.
    Explain how flocculation contributes to the development of the structure within the soil.
    The only answer relatively close to that qs is about how flocullation occurs which is quite long. In the book

2nd)
    With reference to one of the soil charachteristics you have mentioned describe how it might be measured.
    How it might influence the growth of a named tillage crop.

I picked texture for the characteristics. I have not done crops yet so all I could think about was potatoes, soil texture sandy loam best for growth.
    But how measured ?

Any advice help much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭hubluh

Just a qs I had in regarding soil, if you dont mind answering.
    Explain how flocculation contributes to the development of the structure within the soil.
    The only answer relatively close to that qs is about how flocullation occurs which is quite long. In the book

2nd)
    With reference to one of the soil charachteristicd you have mentions describe how it might be measured
    How it might influence the growth of a named tillage crop.
    I picked texture I have not done crops yet so all I could think about was potatoes soio texture sandy loam best for growth.
    But how measured ?

Any advice help much appreciated.

Are they exam questions? If so just check the marking scheme.

hubluh wrote: »
    Are they exam questions? If so just check the marking scheme.

For the second question the marking scheme doesnt really have an answer.
    For the first itd a huge block of text. Where it says any 4.
    Does that mean i can use any points there ?
    Even start 1 from the 1st. And 1 from last.

• Advertisement

Nobody will be able to comment because they don't know which question it is, and no one is going to trawl through the exam papers to find which question matches it the closest.

Nobody will be able to comment because they don't know which question it is, and no one is going to trawl through the exam papers to find which question matches it the closest.

its qs on soil. I posted the qs up. I dont really understand what your trying to say.

oh your referring to my relply to hubluh.
    Sorry my bad.
    it is 2003 qs2. a for how flocculation occurs. it says in marking schemes any 4.
    and the other is from 2008. qs 8a. where it doesnt really have a clear answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

Projects due in 3 weeks? I've my oral the week were back, I assume everyone has got them started if not finished.

I went down to get 140 photos printed yesterday, too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭iCrazzy

Can you get your project rechecked ?
    Because if I get the grade I do not deserve, will I be able to get it rechecked after the results come out. Or does it only apply to written papers.

iCrazzy wrote: »
    Can you get your project rechecked ?
    Because if I get the grade I do not deserve, will I be able to get it rechecked after the results come out. Or does it only apply to written papers.

There are no rechecks for the project only for the written papers. You are graded on your project by your teacher. The examiner coming to the school will check those grades to ensure they are fair. That means you have been graded twice. No appeal available.

Who do you usually pick for the external exam? People with the highest result in each grade?

Boaty wrote: »
    Who do you usually pick for the external exam? People with the highest result in each grade?

The teacher has no say in who gets picked. The examiner will pick a range of grades from the class on the day when they are given the grades.

Yeah, would you say most examiners would pick the highest result in the class?

Boaty wrote: »
    Yeah, would you say most examiners would pick the highest result in the class?

It's up to the examiner and the range of grades presented to them. Every class is different. Everyone in the class is equally likely to be picked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 swagmire

How does the interview process work. Had my interview today with my teacher but she never was markings a page during the interview. Does she just give a mark/percentage at the end

swagmire wrote: »
    How does the interview process work. Had my interview today with my teacher but she never was markings a page during the interview. Does she just give a mark/percentage at the end

You're given a mark before the interview, which you don't know about, the teacher grades it.

The interviewer will decide if the teacher has given a fair mark and either change it or keep it the same. They'll have read through the project before calling you in, so they're basically just making sure you know the information in the project as far as I could tell

• Registered Users Posts: 37 swagmire

You're given a mark before the interview, which you don't know about, the teacher grades it.

The interviewer will decide if the teacher has given a fair mark and either change it or keep it the same. They'll have read through the project before calling you in, so they're basically just making sure you know the information in the project as far as I could tell

But does the teacher have a marking scheme or does she just give a %

Yeah rainbowtrout has posted one early in the thread I think

Do you have to know your project inside out ?(As in basically just study it if its another book)
    Or would knowing the course and ur plant animal id, experiments, farm plan, experience of growing crop, details about your farm cover you ?.

I was planning on revising the course leading onto the interview and the rest mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭pmrc

Hi
    For the project do u reference your sources eg web pages?
    Can any one suggest a good book
    Or give hints and tips to get maximum marks. I am dyslexic so i am not the best at writing discripitive stuff.
    Can some give me a list of photos to take?
    How many pages under each topic?

pmrc wrote: »
    Hi
    Or give hints and tips to get maximum marks. I am dyslexic so i am not the best at writing discripitive stuff.

There is a ton of information on the project if you read through the thread.

If you are in Leaving Cert the project deadline was 7th April

Hi

Im assuming your doing this for your son , if so it would backfire if he gets interviewed and doesn't understand "his" project.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭pmrc

In 5th year. But hoping to it at higher level .
    He is hoping if the project is of a good standard he can do this. He is ok at the science parts as he understands it .
    As he is very dyslexic he has trounble describing stuff. In other words he socres 70s in higher level physics, maths but barly gets 40 to 50 in pass english.

• Advertisement

In 5th year. But hoping to it at higher level .
    So i am hoping if the project is of a good standard i can do this. I ok at the science parts as i understand it .
    But i am in big trounble describing stuff. It would be easy to cut and paste or buy a project from some one else but i want to do it my self
    Am i a fool?

You wont get big marks for big paragraphs of writing or generic google images.Since you are only in 5th you've plenty of time to read through this thread and you'll get an idea of what you have to do.
    Get photos of the processes involved each of your projects, so if you do grassland, you would take photos of a farmer spreadimg fertiliser, making silage etc.

From my own experience the people who get top marks are the ones that have pictures of themselves out on a farm and are able to talk about their experiences rather than the people who have pages and pages of writing.

Advertisement