Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ag. Science *

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

as part of the project you must Identify 10 plants of agricultural significance (Generally Weeds),Identification of 10 animals of agricultural importance (Insects and Pests).i dont really know how to do this and was wondering if some1 could give me an example for 1 weed or animal in private message.
    Thistles and rabbits?
    **not a farmer, nor an Ag. Sc. student**
    Only went back a few pages on the Forum, wasn't expecting to see a revivable thread! Thanks for merging, lots of good information
    We keep beating it with a shovel, but it keeps coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

as part of the project you must Identify 10 plants of agricultural significance (Generally Weeds),Identification of 10 animals of agricultural importance (Insects and Pests).i dont really know how to do this and was wondering if some1 could give me an example for 1 weed or animal in private message.

As spurious said, thistles; also ragwort, docks, chickweed, groundsel, nettles, scutch grass, knotweed, and loads of others.

Rabbits, aphids, leatherjackets, crows, pigeons, spring to mind immediately and there's plenty more.

I'm sure these are covered in detail in your Ag Science book?

The trick is that you must be able to identify them, both for your project and indeed if you're picked for an oral with the Extern, so you need to become very familiar with them.

Have a read back through this thread, RBT has outlined in great detail how to approach the project.

(Also not a farmer, nor an Ag. Sc. student ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

Hi I was wondering do you get marks for diagrams in your exp copy, because I am such a bad drawer and my diagrams are noticeable but they are no way near compared to what they are in the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Hi I was wondering do you get marks for diagrams in your exp copy, because I am such a bad drawer and my diagrams are noticeable but they are no way near compared to what they are in the books.

Just make them as clear as possible and label them. Draw them in pencil so if you make a mistake you can correct it. Draw large diagrams so they are clear and you don't have a lot of detail squashed into one corner of a page. It always amazes me that students will draw tiny diagrams where you are squinting to see what it is, when they have a whole A4 page to draw on (assuming it's a science copy they are using).

I always tell my students when they ask the same question : It's an ag science exam, not an art exam.

Just make them as clear as possible and label them. Draw them in pencil so if you make a mistake you can correct it. Draw large diagrams so they are clear and you don't have a lot of detail squashed into one corner of a page. It always amazes me that students will draw tiny diagrams where you are squinting to see what it is, when they have a whole A4 page to draw on (assuming it's a science copy they are using).

I always tell my students when they ask the same question : It's an ag science exam, not an art exam.

Thanks for reply :)
    I was wondering is it allowed/appropriate to have the diagrams printed out and stick them in your experiment copy for each experiment that has a diagram in. The actual experiment will be written up, its just the diagrams will be printed off and stuck in.

• Advertisement

Thanks for reply :)
    I was wondering is it allowed/appropriate to have the diagrams printed out and stick them in your experiment copy for each experiment that has a diagram in. The actual experiment will be written up, its just the diagrams will be printed off and stuck in.

I wouldn't accept it from my students. That's essentially just photocopying the book and handing it up as your work. Draw the diagrams. You are not going to lose marks for a lack of artistic ability. Also you mightn't have done the experiment the exact same as in the book. Ag Science is all about personal experience.

You could always buy a science stencil. I used to have one in school. It meant my diagrams were always neat when I wasn't very good at drawing.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Major-Brush-Chemistry-Science-Template/dp/B006YQHGXI

Btw, TYPO, do you mean photocopy diagrams from a book, or generate drawings on your own computer?

Like RBT, I would say get a stencil and don't obsess over it, it's not art ... but I suspect the second would be more acceptable than the first.

Listen to RBT tho', she knows whereof she speaks on this subject! ;)

Btw, TYPO, do you mean photocopy diagrams from a book, or generate drawings on your own computer?

Like RBT, I would say get a stencil and don't obsess over it, it's not art ... but I suspect the second would be more acceptable than the first.

Listen to RBT tho', she knows whereof she speaks on this subject! ;)

This is what I mean, just cut out the diagram on this experiment and insert it onto the copy

This is what I mean, just cut out the diagram on this experiment and insert it onto the copy

It's not your work though. It's just lifted straight from a book.

That and experiments are asked on the LC paper. if you answer an experiment question you might have to draw a diagram. you should really get some practice and also discuss this with your teacher.

It's not your work though. It's just lifted straight from a book.

That and experiments are asked on the LC paper. if you answer an experiment question you might have to draw a diagram. you should really get some practice and also discuss this with your teacher.

Yeah, its just that when people are typing it rather then write it on the the exp. copy like the one I displayed, won't they be taking the diagrams from the book ?

• Advertisement

Yeah, its just that when people are typing it rather then write it on the the exp. copy like the one I displayed, won't they be taking the diagrams from the book ?

Not necessarily, they might draw in the diagrams.

Look, you've asked about this in about 3 posts on this thread. I've responded with the same answer 3 times. You want me to tell you to scan/photocopy/download diagrams, cut them out and stick them in. I'm not going to tell you to do that no matter how many times you ask, I wouldn't accept it from my own students.

You'd be better off talking to your own teacher.

Don't do that. >.<

Yeah I just got a reply from my teacher saying that I can just take photos of the diagrams and stick them in but some diagrams would be ideal aswell.
    So I am planning to draw out the easier ones and then take pics of the harder ones.
    Thanks for advice though both of ye.

Hey lads, I am just in the process of learning the experiments for Ag, I looked into the rapid revision and the way they layed out the exp. And the content are quite easy to learn but somewhat I don't know if they give you the full 24 marks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 Lera Manukovskaya

i am confused to what exactly Target plant establishment / m squared and grain m squared/. Factors that determine establishment rate means ???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 Lera Manukovskaya

would horses count as an animal for the project?

yes. it's fine.

i am confused to what exactly Target plant establishment / m squared and grain m squared/. Factors that determine establishment rate means ???
    Target plant establishment is how many plants you want growing per square metre.

If your seed has a germination rate of 85% that means that for every 100 seeds you plant you will have 85 germinate.

If you want a certain number of plants per square metre in a field you have to take germination rates into account and also establishment.

Establishment is how many of those germinating seedling will grow into plants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Tessa6

For section one: identify the five common plants and name their families to which they belong?

Just want to be doubley sure. that POLYGONACEAE is the family to which rhubarb crop belongs to?? Do I need to include Black Bindweed – Fallopia convolvulvus (A)?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Agricultural Science Project

Hi all,

I'm hoping some kind person may be able to steer me in the right direction on my Agricultural Science Project.

I've all the scientific experiments completed, however I am stuck on the genetics section. I was going to do a survey on a group of people to identify common traits. But I'm not sure how to go about this.

Would I have to go into a lot of detail on the survey?

I had thought about getting people to answer my survey based on whether they are right / left handed, colour of eye / hair etc. and do a write up about the dominant / recessive traits amongst the group.

Is this ok? Or should I make it more detailed?

Thanks!!

• Advertisement

Hi all,

I'm hoping some kind person may be able to steer me in the right direction on my Agricultural Science Project.

I've all the scientific experiments completed, however I am stuck on the genetics section. I was going to do a survey on a group of people to identify common traits. But I'm not sure how to go about this.

Would I have to go into a lot of detail on the survey?

I had thought about getting people to answer my survey based on whether they are right / left handed, colour of eye / hair etc. and do a write up about the dominant / recessive traits amongst the group.

Is this ok? Or should I make it more detailed?

Thanks!!

1. What is your teacher doing?
    2. You need at least 2 genetic experiments.
    3. They should be agriculture based not human based.

Are you sure the genetics experiment can't be based on humans?

My ag. science book says for the project link ' for the practical examinations, students are required to have carried out a genetics investigation. Activity 16.1 is an example of a genetics investigation'...which is based on a survey of inheritable characteristics on people??

Are you sure the genetics experiment can't be based on humans?

My ag. science book says for the project link ' for the practical examinations, students are required to have carried out a genetics investigation. Activity 16.1 is an example of a genetics investigation'...which is based on a survey of inheritable characteristics on people??

Ya I know. But things have moved on a bit. You could do a study of a herd of cattle and the inherited characteristics in calves or lambs

For part c. the farm layout section, what are they looking for exactly when they ask for 'planning for economy of labour' and 'aspect'... I'm not too sure what they need here. Does anyone have any idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭loveemmaxxxx

im onto animals and i dont know how many animals to do and what to put down im repeating my leaving cert and the teacher did not really explain. i would be grateful if anyone could help me

im onto animals and i dont know how many animals to do and what to put down im repeating my leaving cert and the teacher did not really explain. i would be grateful if anyone could help me
    You're in the right thread, now go back to the beginning and actually read it ;) ... some very detailed guidance re: project from RBT throughout the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 McLovin_Ward

Hi, I was just wondering does anyone have any idea as to what headings I should use for my project when talking about dairy cattle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

One from each line:
    Potatoes or root crop
    Any other crop

This means I can't do two root crops right?

I can do potatoes or fodder beet but i can't do both correct?

Boaty wrote: »
    One from each line:
    Potatoes or root crop
    Any other crop

This means I can't do two root crops right?

I can do potatoes or fodder beet but i can't do both correct?

That is correct.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

That is correct.

After months of being told I could do it by the teacher, I find out for myself today. I guess some teachers really aren't in tune with the Ag science course.

Advertisement