Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Fiaich College

Options
  • 20-01-2009 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Anyone been to O'Fiaich College to do any of their PLC courses? JUst wondering what the college is like and what the courses are like? Thinking of doing Art & Design at it so any opinions are appreciated! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

My son is doing that at the minute. He's hoping to get into ncad this year. It seems to be a really good course, he's working on the ncad project at the moment. His teachers are really good and full of sound advice. I also read an interview in the Argus recently with a girl who won some big fashion design award, she said she did this course too and also thought it was really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Cpt Tremendous

It can provide some good courses in regard to PLC's, I just wouldn't recommend leaving your car near the place or anything you hold of value for that matter. The second level education end of the college has many students which have been expelled from other schools, a lad was expelled from my secondary school for incidents involving drugs, less than a week later he was entering 5th year in O Fiaich

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

fifomania wrote: »
    Anyone been to O'Fiaich College to do any of their PLC courses? JUst wondering what the college is like and what the courses are like? Thinking of doing Art & Design at it so any opinions are appreciated! :D

I attended O'Fiaich in 2005 to do a Computer PLC and really enjoyed it. The course was easy enough to be able to enjoy it, but hard enough that it wasn't a breeze, it took a bit of work. The teachers were all great and my classmates (ranging from 23 - 65) were fantastic, some of whom I still call friends. I say go for it. :D Might I also add that most of those who attended drove in and never had any problems parking in the carpark (I cycled), nor did we ever have any problems with any of the younger students, who are in the other building anyway.

I'd thoroughly recommend it. I was 34 btw when I attended.

mod9maple wrote: »
    I attended O'Fiaich in 2005 to do a Computer PLC and really enjoyed it. The course was easy enough to be able to enjoy it, but hard enough that it wasn't a breeze, it took a bit of work. The teachers were all great and my classmates (ranging from 23 - 65) were fantastic, some of whom I still call friends. I say go for it. :D Might I also add that most of those who attended drove in and never had any problems parking in the carpark (I cycled), nor did we ever have any problems with any of the younger students, who are in the other building anyway.

I'd thoroughly recommend it. I was 34 btw when I attended.

They must have had sh!t cars

They must have had sh!t cars

And you obviously have no idea what you're talking about. ;) Which is good enough reason not to make asinine comments.

• Advertisement

And you obviously have no idea what you're talking about. ;) Which is good enough reason not to make asinine comments.

Wow, you used some really nice words their, obviously I didn't understand them as I have no clue what it is Im talking about but I can respect someone who reads a Thesaraus. Oh and by the way, if you were to read my original post you would know that I did actually know of a person who went to O' Fiaich from my old school, but I will tell you again, he got kicked out for dealing drugs and no school would take him, but O' Fiaich took him without question, I'm not saying its a bad school or building, I attend DkIT which is right next door. All I'm saying is the school takes on students who aren't exactly angels. And I know of severl people who had their cars damaged and vandalised while attending both DkIT and O'Fiaich.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I think you are both right. There is a rough element in O'Fiach-students who find it hard to get accepted in other schools.
    In saying that, there are some really good caring teachers and quite a lot of students who do well. My best friend attended it when it was the 'vocational' school and a nicer girl you'd find it hard to meet, she acquired an excellent education. Along with any other school the lower graded classes are prone to contain an element of students that don't really care about school and spend their days trying to disrupt classes. The Plc course my lad attends is really good. He attended the Marist..got 450 points in his leaving cert and at the moment feels he'd like to be an art teacher. He didn't have a port folio for ncad prepared, they now request a project to be completed to apply to get in. O'Fiach's Plc art course is really good, he stays late nearly every day, the teachers are really supportive. Anyone who is attending the same course he is, seem to be serious about what they're doing. There is a fair bit of craic but more maturity than you'd see in any secondary school class. Best of luck op, I know how hard it is to decide.

fifomania wrote: »

Go for it - good course, good teachers, good PLC section to the school. :D It was the best thing I ever did since leaving school at 17. I haven't looked back. The course I did laid the foundation for another course and a whole new career path. Whatever you decide fifomania, good luck.

Wow, you used some really nice words their, obviously I didn't understand them as I have no clue what it is Im talking about but I can respect someone who reads a Thesaraus. Oh and by the way, if you were to read my original post you would know that I did actually know of a person who went to O' Fiaich from my old school, but I will tell you again, he got kicked out for dealing drugs and no school would take him, but O' Fiaich took him without question, I'm not saying its a bad school or building, I attend DkIT which is right next door. All I'm saying is the school takes on students who aren't exactly angels. And I know of severl people who had their cars damaged and vandalised while attending both DkIT and O'Fiaich.

You obviously need a dictionary. :rolleyes: I'm going to ignore you now; your contempt for others is palpable. You are, what is referred to as, a scandalmonger.

You obviously need a dictionary. :rolleyes: I'm going to ignore you now; your contempt for others is palpable. You are, what is referred to as, a scandalmonger.

Ok then you go ahead and ignore me, it will be hard to deal with the rejection but I'm pretty confident that I will get over it.

Maybe you should consider reading some of the other quotes in this thread, who do agree that there is a rough element in the school, would you be happy if you came out to your car after a hard day in the college/school to find dried curry sauce all over your windshield and bonnet, and then when you try to use your wipers to clear it you discover that chips have been stuck beneath them so you now have a nice thick spud smear to go along with the curry?

I don't know many people who would appreciate that, personally I don't view that as contempt for others or as being palpable, I do however find the fact that you are correcting my spelling to be somewhat unusual, but never mind.

maybe if you spent more time reading the positive thing I said about the education that O'Fiaich college offers you would see that I was offering advice to the OP but simply issuing a warning that the college can have a rough element. And I fully agree that many people have had no problems while at the college but at the same time many people are unaffected by the war in the Middle East, that doesn't mean that there is no war now does it? No, because there is a war in the Middle East, and while many people haven't been affected by the small population of students who do cause hassle that doesn't mean that there isn't people causing hassle.

But just for the record I would recommend doing a PLC course, but just be careful as you may experience trouble.

Now, no contempt there was there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fifomania

God, I'm nearly sorry I asked about the place! :P but thanks for those helpful comments. and I will be driving there! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭McConnon

You might wanna check out the Visual Education and Portfolio Preparation in Art, Craft an' Design at Drogheda's Institute of Futher Education too.

Here's the link: http://www.dife.info/2008/visual_education.htm

Advertisement