Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any mature students doing Arts?

Options
  • 20-01-2009 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

I'm being led to believe that all the mature students, (women), are all opting to do nursing and midwifery.
    I'm just wondering in Sept will I be the only one my age sitting in on say a History class. I'm almost 40. what am I letting myself in for? don't get me wrong I'm determined to do this and see 3 yrs through, it's just will I have a chance to meet up with anyone my age?
    How do the younger students feel about having 'wrinklies' in among them?
    Yeah, I know I'm panicking, but this is the biggest thing I have ever done in my life.:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Hi there,
    I'm 35 and applying to do Arts - History and Politics. I'm looking forward to it. I spoke to the mature student admin guy today and he said that 15% of places are kept for mature students..so of the 1500 Arts students they take in 220 or so will be mature. Mature does mean over 23 but it made me feel a bit better knowing everybody won't be 17 :)

Have you sent in your personal statement? I can't manage to get started on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I'm doing Arts (Politics and Sociology) in UCD, and there are plenty of mature students doing it. The majority of female mature students are doing sociology, there's one or two doing politics (that I know of, they're big classes) but you get people that are doing social science taking a module or two of politics so they do turn up there. I did history as my third subject in first year, there was a few female mature students in that too from what I remember (I'm in third year now so it's hazy!). There seems to be a good few doing English too from what I can gather from friends that are in English.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Ell69

Feel a bit better now. Thanks.Great at least your in your 30s, so am I technically(till Nov;))
    Littlefriend, I sent off my personal statement to CAO yesterday. Took me all weekend to think it through. Need any help? I got a teacher friend of mine to have a quick look, shes' only in primary teaching but she thinks it was ok. So fingers crossed. Were you told to send it to CAO or direct to the college? am applying to UCC btw.
    If I get accepted I'm hoping to do History of Art, History Greek and Roman Civilisation and Italian. I would love to get into museum work someday.
    God if I'm this worried now about first days etc,what am I going to be like the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭getting worse

Hi Ell69 I am 40+ doing arts, Maths and Economics, not subjects favoured my mature students but am getting on fine. There are quite a few matures doing History.

The first few days are scary but you very soon get over it. The traditional students really don't care much about you one way or another and eventually relaise that you don't have an extra head.

In general there is a lot of support for matures. Mature Students Society is great cause really all you want is someone to talk to, who is closer to your own age.

Go for it, you will really enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Ell69

Aah thanks everyone. i just got a text off my sis who's doing midwifery, shes only 20. She was saying, she finds the older students much more approachable and not a bit bitchy etc. made me smile anyway:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭eire2009

Dont do arts ya big Dummy ...
    Its full of lil wreck the heads that fail half their subjects and piss around the whole year and go nowhere...

Nursin is a waste of time for the money you get for the time put in ..

Social care double the pay and half the work the course is only 3 years aswell plus with the amount of jobless youth in the middle of a ression, rest asured you`ll get a job as there will be a need ..

Nurses are the first thing they cut back in..

Your choice you can pick anything..

people will always have babies(not my idea of a job but lol) so not a bad option but seriously look around yourself ..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

eire2009 wrote: »
    Dont do arts ya big Dummy ...
    Its full of lil wreck the heads that fail half their subjects and piss around the whole year and go nowhere...

Nursin is a waste of time for the money you get for the time put in ..

Social care double the pay and half the work the course is only 3 years aswell plus with the amount of jobless youth in the middle of a ression, rest asured you`ll get a job as there will be a need ..

Nurses are the first thing they cut back in..

Your choice you can pick anything..

people will always have babies(not my idea of a job but lol) so not a bad option but seriously look around yourself ..
    That earned you an infraction and this is the second time you have appeared on my radar tonight.

Please read the charter before posting here again.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭eire2009

smashey wrote: »
    That earned you an infraction and this is the second time you have appeared on my radar tonight.

Please read the charter before posting here again.

Sorry I cant understand why??

Advertisement