Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Financial Assistance

Options
  • 20-01-2009 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm in a bit of a crap situation at the moment. I went back to college as a mature student last Oct (TCD) and had a small amount of savings to get me through the first few months. I assumed i'd be able to get a part-time job but haven't had any success yet despite sending in numerous applications. I'm not fussy at all either - i've applied to tesco, aldi, lidl amongst others but I don't know if there is a shortage of part-time jobs or what. Anyways I'm existing in my overdraft and credit card, which I do not like, and I'm gonna drop out if I don't get some job soon. At least then I can look for a proper full-time job or at the very least get the dole and be able to pay my bills. Borrowing money is not an option as I already have a bank loan which I cannot top up until I am working. I do get the maintenance grant and I have heard about the financial assistance fund which I am now in the process of applying for, but I'm just wondering has anyone ever applied before with or without success? If they turned you down, I'd be curious to know what they said and if it was appoved, what was the procedure involved? Were you interviewed and what supporting documentation did you provide? Also, how much would they give?

I'd appreciate any feedback. Needless to say I'm worried sick, I can't concentrate on my coursework and I'm freaking about wasting the opportunity to study in Trinity - I have visions of me working a deli-counter when I'm in my 50s like Mickey Rourke in the wrestler. Although I'd be very grateful for a deli job now!

Comments

Hi SaintHubbins,

For the Student Assistance Fund (I assume that's what you applied for) if you are unsuccessful you should contact the Students' Union. They can appeal the decision for you if needs be. It will either be Hugh (Education Officer) or Orlaith (Welfare Officer) who you would be going to.

As for jobs (since it says you're in Trinity) have you considered working within the college? As in, in the SU shops? Alternatively in Trinity there's the possibility of getting a job as a 'student shelver' which is a job in the library. I'd say right now they'd be difficult to get but worth to get. Be sure to look around the other college libraries in the city too.

If you're finding it hard to get by, it might be worth talking to your tutor and/or the Mature Students' Officer to let them know of what is facing you at the moment. You never know, they might be able to help you out with something.

Dónal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Firstly there's a lot of support out there for you so don't let the panic get to you:
    Use the student support services Trinity have provided for you : list of some of them are at the link below .

2. You are not the first nor will be the last student to experience this- so the sooner you talk to those who can help the better (and easier) it will be. (you've already started, but better to talk to trinity direct.
    3. What they say in Trinity is :if you experience a problem, come talk to us, but talk early before its too late.
    4. If a family member can lend you money, -take it- and pay off your credit card- 16+% per month is not recommended to fund long term debt- if this is not possible, then talk with the bank and try and come to agreement with them- they will want their money back at some stage of course, but if you don't explain whats wrong, then they won't be in a position to help you- talk to MABS (money advice bureau) if you are apprehensive about approaching the bank directly- they will help you through that.
    5. Finally, do something tomorrow morning- i.e. talk to trinity, mabs, family etc etc -it will make you start to feel as though you are taking back control
    6. WHEN you graduate from college and go off to earn millions, remember who helped you

Best of luck- it will work out but try and reduce the panic a bit by alerting those who care about you- family, friends, college- you'll find they'll help you, as I'm sure you would help them.

http://www.pleasetalk.ie/tcd/node/2

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hi OP

As a Mature Student you are eligible for the Back to Education Allowance. Are you aware of this. You are entitled to it, regardless of your previous income. It is the equivalent of the social welfare allowance (204 euro p/w). I hope you were unaware of this as you are entitled to it. Good luck.

Here are some links. You are also allowed to work up to 20 hours I believe on top of this.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/back-to-education/back_to_education_allowance

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/pages/bte_all.aspx

http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp7237/back-to-education-allowance/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭SaintHubbins

Thanks for all the replies. I have applied on numerous occasions for jobs within Trinity without any success but I will keep an eye on the other colleges as well. I've completed the application form for the student assistance fund and will be submitting it this morning. Hopefully I'll get to have a chat with the senior tutor as well. I'll also probably go to the mature student office and see if they can offer any advice. I'm not too hopeful about my tutor - when I was originally supposed to meet him in the first couple of weeks, he missed the first meeting, the rescheduled one and then when I e-mailed him about meeting up again, he never replied.

With regards to the back to education scheme, you have to be receiving a social welfare payment for 12 months to be eligible and I'm not (I wish I had been on the dole - it would be worth more to me in the long run!).

Thanks for all the replies. I have applied on numerous occasions for jobs within Trinity without any success but I will keep an eye on the other colleges as well. I've completed the application form for the student assistance fund and will be submitting it this morning. Hopefully I'll get to have a chat with the senior tutor as well. I'll also probably go to the mature student office and see if they can offer any advice. I'm not too hopeful about my tutor - when I was originally supposed to meet him in the first couple of weeks, he missed the first meeting, the rescheduled one and then when I e-mailed him about meeting up again, he never replied.

With regards to the back to education scheme, you have to be receiving a social welfare payment for 12 months to be eligible and I'm not (I wish I had been on the dole - it would be worth more to me in the long run!).

One other thing - for some unknown reason I'm still on the SU Jobs list, so if you drop an e-mail to sujobs AT tcd DOT ie and ask to be subscribed, a nice lady called Suzanne Stewart should add you to the distribution list.

One was e-mailed out today. While not many are sent out these days it's good to keep in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭SaintHubbins

Hey,
    I'm signed up to the job notifications from Suzanne already. Haven't had any luck yet and have applied for most. Even that job that came in today I applied for after around 2 mins of getting it! I applied for financial assistance today so now I just have to wait on the decision and keep plodding away looking for a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Hi SaintHubbins, great replies here on the thread, most things I had thought of have already been covered. Just one more angle on this, not sure of your age and what you're studying. You could advertise for work in whatever area your studying in, if appropriate, or sell your associated skills. There can be advantages to being older, especially when it comes to being a tutor.

For example, if you're doing languages, maybe advertise yourself as a tutor in that language, or if you're a computer expert teach that. If you're good at computer office applications maybe you could offer to do word processing for thesis, CVs, etc.... You could put up notices in supermarkets, and shops near where you live, not just in college. You could also take out a small ad and an ad in the free papers. Also think about targeting different markets, for example, teaching children, non-nationals (english teaching) or senior citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,799 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

just wondering if anybody can help here.
    i was working until feb of last year, left and went travelling.came back for college in september.qualify and getting the mature students grant.havent managed to get a p/time job.just worried bout the summer months,as the grant will run out.is there any additional benifits ill be entitled to does anybody know?
    cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ditmature

Hey papagormo,

Unfortunately, the two primary sources of funding for Mature Students - the Higher Education Grant and the Back To Education Allowance (BTEA) are not available during the summer months. If you're in receipt of the BTEA, you can switch back to getting your unemployment benefits during the summer and resume the BTEA when you go back to college in september.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Does any of this apply to people who already have a degree and are returning to college to do another one??? 8 years later...

• Advertisement

Hi Ste05,

Unfortunately, the Higher Education Grant won't fund you to take a second qualification at the same level as one you already hold - e.g. another level 8 (or honours degree) if you already hold a level 8.

If you decide to study a Masters (level 9), you should qualify for the grant.

If you have a level 7 (ordinary level degree) and wish to study a level 8, the Higher Education Grant Scheme is less clear - if the level 8 is considered an "add-on" (i.e. an extra year of study after completing a level 7 in order to gain a higher qualification in the same field), then the grant will fund you for that single year.

However, If you hold a level 7 and enter an unrelated level 8 program, you may only be funded for the final year of that program.

As previously stated, the Higher Education Grant is aimed at first time students, hence their unwillingness to fund you to take a second degree. That there has been an 8 year gap between your programs of study does not matter. They will simply look at your previous qualifications, see that you've already got a level 8, and will deem you ineligible.

Sorry the news couldn't be better.

From the HEG Scheme 2008/09: (text in bold by me)

The scheme applies to:
    3.1 Candidates who are entering an approved course for the first time in the 2008/09 academic year.

3.2 Mature candidates, who in the 2008/09 academic year, are:
    a) re-entering in order to complete an approved course at undergraduate level for the first time, or
    b) re-entering in order to pursue or complete an approved course at postgraduate level for the first time, or
    c) with reference to Clause 7.7, mature candidates who already hold a postgraduate qualification and are re-entering to progress to a further postgraduate course which represents progression.

3.3 Candidates, who having attended but not successfully completed an approved course, are returning following a break of at least five years in order to pursue an approved course at the same level in the 2008/09 academic year (i.e. Second Chance Students).

More information available at: http://www.dit.ie/study/mature/support/finance/hegs/

Best wishes,

Bob

• Registered Users Posts: 14,799 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

ditmature wrote: »
    Hey papagormo,

Unfortunately, the two primary sources of funding for Mature Students - the Higher Education Grant and the Back To Education Allowance (BTEA) are not available during the summer months. If you're in receipt of the BTEA, you can switch back to getting your unemployment benefits during the summer and resume the BTEA when you go back to college in september.

hi there, thanks for the response. would i qualify for a jobseekers allowence? as technically i will be looking for work?

You might have to check that with your local Social Welfare Office - or have a read of this: http://www.dit.ie/study/mature/support/finance/btea/

Bob

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Thanks for that Bob, much appreciated, even if it wasn't quite what I wanted to hear... :(

Advertisement