Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company Seal

Options
  • 20-01-2009 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

When incorporating the company a year ago, I never got around to get a company seal. How does one go about getting one? Various company formation services offer it as part of an incorporation package, but I haven't come across someone that offers one, separately.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭elgransenor

jerryob wrote: »
    When incorporating the company a year ago, I never got around to get a company seal. How does one go about getting one? Various company formation services offer it as part of an incorporation package, but I haven't come across someone that offers one, separately.

Google 'legal stationers' and see what comes up.

Also contact The Law Society.They have a company formation service and so are obtaining these all the time.

There is also an office shop on Capel Street,don't know the name.
    They do all sorts of stamps and if they don't do them they will know who does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭jerryob

Thanks elgransenor. I've found a couple places on the web, but, while I'm sure they're legit, the who process sounds a bit dodgy. I went through the process of ordering on various sites, without pushing the purchase button. Only one site asked for my company number and 'seemed' to search against it.
    What's stopping someone else from getting a company seal for the company? My impression was that the company seal was uniquely assigned to a company. What am I missing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭elgransenor

The unique thing about about your seal will be the number which is freely available on CRO.ie

I have 2 seals and I have never looked at them but I am nearly certain they just contain the name and no. of the company.

Ring the Law Society or your solicitor to be sure but I came across some legal stationers recently on Google doing seals.

Casteltown Press,who have a website,supply the Law Society but I am not sure about the seals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Pretty sure this shop on Bolton Street does them, can't buy online but give them a call http://www.flynns.ie
    Don't see it on their site but they have more stuff in the shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭thecleverone

You'll get one at www.expresscompanyseals.com on Amiens Street

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gaffney99

Jerryob, there is nothing to stop anyone ordering a company seal for your (or anybody else's) company. So there is no real necessity for a company seal supplier to do a search against your company. There would be a definite issue in law if someone who was not an authorised officer of the company was found to be using a company seal without the consent of the company. Furthermore in most situations the seal of the company on its own is not sufficient evidence that the company has entered into an agreement as it will still need to be witnessed by the signatures of two directors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

And therein lies the stupidity of a lot of legislation in this country. Whenever I registered a company I left it with my accountant who came back with everything including the seal, so naturally I thought the seal was done by the CRO. Im a bit shocked to see that anyone can get one of these for any company.

It's a bit like walking into a motor factors and ordering reg plates. IMO a company seal should be provided with the registration and only replaced by the appropriate authority.

/RANT

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Google 'legal stationers' and see what comes up.

Also contact The Law Society.They have a company formation service and so are obtaining these all the time.

There is also an office shop on Capel Street,don't know the name.
    They do all sorts of stamps and if they don't do them they will know who does.

The Company formation section in the Law Society ceased operations last year...which was a shame as they were handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

DubTony wrote: »
    And therein lies the stupidity of a lot of legislation in this country. Whenever I registered a company I left it with my accountant who came back with everything including the seal, so naturally I thought the seal was done by the CRO. Im a bit shocked to see that anyone can get one of these for any company.

It's a bit like walking into a motor factors and ordering reg plates. IMO a company seal should be provided with the registration and only replaced by the appropriate authority.

/RANT

Yes I agree...in a professional capacity I had to order a fresh Company Seal for a company I acted for...I was surprised that I got it with no questions asked...I could have been anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 johnc2212

the company seal is rarely used anymore and there is a process, legally acceptable, whereby the initials LV circled and signed by the directirs is acceptable once directors have signed a letter on company heading stated that it's acceptable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Old thread I know, but I have a question about Company Seals.

I run my own ltd (I'm the only employee), and I have a letter from the revenue I need to fill out which has a space for "Company Seal".

I don't have a company seal yet, can I just sign my company name, or should I leave it blank?

Advertisement