Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Green influence vs the PD influence

Options
  • 20-01-2009 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭

While in opposition the greens bleated on about the provision of public transport, "more public transport & less roads for private cars" was their mainstay.

Now they are in government the heroes of public transport are overseeing the cuts in dublin bus & bus eireann, no doubt irish rail will have good news for their staff & the public shortly.

The greens have more or less the same numbers of TD's supporting FF that the PD's had but the PD's seemed to be able to get their policies into action, while a cornerstone of the greens policy is facing further cut backs.

Are the greens cut out for government or are they better in opposition? Notice how the use of shannon has (thankfully) disappeared without the green machine behind it?

Seamus Brennan said to them when the talks on forming the government started "You're playing senior hurling now" Are the greens just Junior B hurlers instead? IMHO, Yes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Nuttzz wrote: »
    While in opposition the greens bleated on about the provision of public transport, "more public transport & less roads for private cars" was their mainstay.

Now they are in government the heroes of public transport are overseeing the cuts in dublin bus & bus eireann, no doubt irish rail will have good news for their staff & the public shortly.

The greens have more or less the same numbers of TD's supporting FF that the PD's had but the PD's seemed to be able to get their policies into action, while a cornerstone of the greens policy is facing further cut backs.

........but was it as much PD policy as a PD/FF policy which was tagged on the PD's entirely as a matter of political convenience?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Are the greens cut out for government or are they better in opposition?

Come the next general election they probably wont be seen much on either side.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

turgon wrote: »
    Come the next general election they probably wont be seen much on either side.

Harney, McDowell, Molloy, Liz o'Donnel were astute politicians.
    The Greens haven't thought their policies through, so I would imagine just get kicked around the cabinet table.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

One of the big things is Money, the Greens have come to having some power when the State has... well none. The PD's came to power when the State had money (apparently not enough to solve our hospitals, sin a bhfuil), so to be fair you're not comparing like with like.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Cliste wrote: »
    One of the big things is Money, the Greens have come to having some power when the State has... well none. The PD's came to power when the State had money (apparently not enough to solve our hospitals, sin a bhfuil), so to be fair you're not comparing like with like.

The Greens really picked the wrong time to go into Government.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

well seeing as the greens are now pds....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Actually, we weren't always rolling in the money when the PDs were in government (just shortly after they entered), but the recession has alot to do with the Greens failures in government.

Although, tbh, allot of what people call failures are merely pragmatism in the face of the largest economic crisis in our history.

but the recession has alot to do with the Greens failures in government.

Explain this!

In fact explain how the Greens are to blame for the combination of Anglo Irish's Shady dealings, The worldwide slump, and the over priced housing market?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

The Greens have ensured Ireland's first Single Party Government in over 20 years. In name we have a coalition, in practice we dont. They have not acted as a buffer between the will of FF and the people.

The only influence is to burden the taxpayer even more with purported carbon taxes, and forcing employers to recompense those employees who ride bikes.

Their grass roots are dropping like flies, leaving the party with a careeristic driven set who will be gone after 2012 debacle.

The Greens are finished. By Bye Greens !

Explain this!

In fact explain how the Greens are to blame for the combination of Anglo Irish's Shady dealings, The worldwide slump, and the over priced housing market?
    Firstly, Anglo Irish did not cause the recession.

Secondly, I meant that most of the reason that the Greens are failing, is the recession. I was actually giving them an out.

• Advertisement

Firstly, Anglo Irish did not cause the recession.

Secondly, I meant that most of the reason that the Greens are failing, is the recession. I was actually giving them an out.

It's a combination of many factors, I was just listing some.

And I still can't read that from your first post, but I never did well at reading comprehensions:D

And I still can't read that from your first post, but I never did well at reading comprehensions:D
    My grammar in that sentence is woeful, I'm not surprised that you are confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ah the changing face of FF Lite :rolleyes:

The PDs had real heavyweight politicans (pardon the inference), whereas the GP are really lightweights.
    Compare Harney, Molloy, McDowell and their political skills with those of Gormless, Ryan and Sargant.
    Different leagues.
    Anyway FF appear happy to let Ryan and Gormless go out take the flak and believe that they are indeed making a difference in saving the planet.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

I think Trevor Sargant left them at the wrong time. He should have stayed on so that they could have got a better deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

he didn't leave

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

i heard on the radio lately that the national herd (of cattle) will have to be cut by 25% for our green house gas quota to be reached, no wonder jesus wept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Its all about the different strategies of the two parties

In practical terms the greens are content to just involve themselves in policy formulation in their own departments and are leaving FF to run (sic) theirs without comment or input. This means the mute button is pressed on issues like Anglo and Gaza, as finance and foreign affairs are not their lookout.

Wheres the PD's had an opinion on everything in every department they were given credit and took the blame for things they had no involvement with.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What nonsense!
    The first thing to indicate that the greens would do whatever Fianna Fáil tell them was Tara. Its gone downhill for them ever since!
    Bob Z wrote: »
    I think Trevor Sargant left them at the wrong time. He should have stayed on so that they could have got a better deal
    As already said, he didn't leave. He did something worse. He made a promise not to lead the party into government with Fianna Fáil before the election. He duped the electorate! How very Fianna Fáil of him!

Advertisement