Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problems with power city TV

Options
  • 20-01-2009 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Put a deposit on lcd tv in power city, heard that there tv's give a lot of problems. Anybody have any experiences or know any stories. Not sure if i should go ahead with purchase.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

g-bond wrote: »
    Put a deposit on lcd tv in power city, heard that there tv's give a lot of problems. Anybody have any experiences or know any stories. Not sure if i should go ahead with purchase.

Thanks

Well unless their warehouse staff are really terrible the TV's wouldn't be better/worse then Currys/Harveys/DID etc.

My parents bought a Sony Bravia that always gave issues and they constantly sent it for repair. Never once offered a different TV or their money, which I found a bit annoying tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Power City staff treat TVs like footballs. Never buy from them! I have lost track of how many people I know who had issues with TVs from there. Want proof? Go to the service counter in store - I bet there is somebody standing there with a bust TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Thanks

Powercity don't make tv's as far as I know :D

Seriously, I have one of their Philips LCD's, and I know of at least 3 other people who bought TV's from them and none have had a problem.

I'd say they have massive throughput in TV's and there are bound to be a few problems... so in this context, I wouldn't be too worried at seeing someone at customer service with a broken TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Considering the sheer volume of TVs that are sold in powercity, there's gonna appear to be *more faulty ones* sold from there. The return margin's are no worse than anywhere else. At the end of the day, the TVs come from the same place as any other electrical retailer gets their TVs from.

@JDxtra: Nah, think they've stopped using their TVs as footballs now, they're bloody heavy and there were too many broken ankles :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

It's like buying from any other shop OP. Magic worker trolls don't put the tv's together with fairy dust in the warehouse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 g-bond

Thanks for the advice, very helpful.

Cheers:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Put a deposit on lcd tv in power city, heard that there tv's give a lot of problems. Anybody have any experiences or know any stories.

From my two experiences of TVs from them

1: a 13 year old 33" CRT I got my folks is still going grand. That's a Sanyo.
    2: a 2 year old LG LCD hasn't given me a bit of trouble.

They're both from the Coolock shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I've bought two TVs from them over time. Never had a single issue at all. Last TV I bought from them was in 1996 (28" TV) and it's still working perfectly (my parents now have it).

They're as good or as bad as any other place that supplies TVs.

Bought a TV two weeks ago off them. Phillips 42". The screen kept "adjusting" itself when the picture was darker/brighter.

Got very annoyed with it. Changed all the settings and still happened. Was sure it was Power City's fault somehow. Reckon they'd dropped it or something.

Read up the user manual and turns out its a fault on a lot of the same model TVs. Just had to update the TV via USB and wallah.

Since my first purchase from Power City, i've never had a problem with their products. They're greatly priced (an RCA - 3.5mm jack wire from them costs €2, the very same wire was €23 from Dixons/Currys. I was furious when i found out. Good thing i hadn't opened the Dixons' one).

I recommend buyoing from Power City. Just buy online, as the prices are cheaper, and collect in-store. Ignore the staff. They're, for the most part, useless (based on my own experience, of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

I'm not sure where Power City get this reputation as a bad company with poor quality stock.

I was only talking to someone about this last weekend who blabbed on to me about how crappy Power City are and how poor their products are and that's why they are so cheap.

I tried to explain to this guy that they are just a retailer and you can buy the exact same make & model TV/toaster/washing machine etc as you can in any DID or Currys store.

If you do have an issue with the product then it's always best to cut out the middle man and deal with the manufacturer directly.

But he was having none of it and insisted that he would rather pay a higher price for a product to Currys etc because he thought it would be a superior product (mug:confused:).

I have no affiliation to any Power City store by the way. I am just a regular Joe Punter who over the years has bought a lot of goods from them. When I bought my house 6 years ago I bought all of my electrical goods from Power City (except my TV which I already had), I saved a few hundred euro and everything still works fine - touch wood :).

The guy I spoke to last week wasn't the first person who complained about Power City to me (and refused to use them) but I can only think that they must be the type of people who expect to be given a replacement product with no questions asked.

I mean, look at KKV's post regarding the TV scart issue?
    The guy I spoke to last week is not the type to bother reading a manual and would have been red faced shouting at the Power City staff because his TV doesn't work:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I'd hazard a guess that they sell more TVs than a lot of the other retailers combined so if the failure rate is the same accross all brands or models, there's bound to have been more of them sold by Power City. It'd be like saying you're not buying electricity from the ESB because everyone you ever met that had a power cut was on ESB.

Advertisement