Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor billpay contract

• 20-01-2009 9:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

Hi. I'm with Meteor billpay for over 12 months now and I rang them yesterday, wanting to switch to Meteor Pay as you go. The woman on the phone told me that they would send me a txt, then i would have to turn me phone off for half an hour. However no text came- was wondering if you have to wait a month before you can cancel your contract?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

They were very insistant with me before that you have to wait 30 days regardless. They said the process then would simply involve them changing my account type and me rebooting my phone and shortly after sending out my final bill.

From what you've told me I'd guess they were switching you. Have you rebooted your phone? Have you checked your account online to see if bill or prepay? Have you called 1905 back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

To be honest, I could barely understand the woman, her accent was so strong. Probably have to wait a month then, damn. I want to get the LG viewty on PAYG:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

kaji wrote: »
    To be honest, I could barely understand the woman, her accent was so strong. Probably have to wait a month then, damn. I want to get the LG viewty on PAYG:mad:
    Just buy it as an upgrade on Meteor PAYG, it wont involve a new contract as its only a prepay one and you can register it in 90 days, maybe less cos you're on Meteor already!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Labhaoise

They let you switch to pay as you go without paying the cancellation fees???, I was told that in order to cancel my account i would have to pay out the rest of my contract!! 400 euro or more!!

Labhaoise wrote: »
    They let you switch to pay as you go without paying the cancellation fees???, I was told that in order to cancel my account i would have to pay out the rest of my contract!! 400 euro or more!!

you must still be in contract, ask to drop down to the lowest tariff and then move back to prepay, pay the small fee and bobs your uncle:L

• Advertisement

kaji wrote: »
    If you don't understand fully where you stand then call them back and speak to someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

I too on Meteor bill pay and thinking of switching to PAYG. Bills seems to be getting more expensive each month. But am mad for the Nokia N95 and too expensive to buy Sim Free. Dont know what to do.....

Funny they dont tell you these options!!, I know so many people who have been ripped off by them, I am having major coverage issues where i live and am eager to be rid of them without having to fork out hundreds!! Thanks for that though!!

Funny they dont tell you these options!!, I know so many people who have been ripped off by them, I am having major coverage issues where i live and am eager to be rid of them without having to fork out hundreds!! Thanks for that though!!
    How long is it since you signed up to bill pay/ got ur last upgrade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

Started my contract last January so a year has passed. I just assumed that they would switch me over. What do they need notice for. Gonna ring them tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    How long is it since you signed up to bill pay/ got ur last upgrade?
    I started a new contract in Oct and since then have moved home. With zero coverage in my house its frustrating and I have rang up to see if i can cancel my account. They say not unless I cough up 400 or so euro cancellation fees, or if i can prove there is no coverage by making calls them sending out engineers blah blah..... this is just them causing me hassle so i will give up and stick with them....:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Im out of contract since Nov and they wont give me an upgrade until Feb!!! That cant be right. Seems the majority of people are not happy with Meteor but yet we stay with them.

DonFred wrote: »
    Im out of contract since Nov and they wont give me an upgrade until Feb!!! That cant be right. Seems the majority of people are not happy with Meteor but yet we stay with them.
    I had that problem in Oct also, my contract had been up since aug!!! Its ridiculous!! And here we all are giving out about them! THey told me they had changed their criteria for upgrades or some such rubbish...

I had that problem in Oct also, my contract had been up since aug!!! Its ridiculous!! And here we all are giving out about them! THey told me they had changed their criteria for upgrades or some such rubbish...

Did you upgrade in October so? I'd just drop down to the lowest tariff- ask for your unlock code as you're "going to England"/ need to put your work sim in which is 02/vodafone for a month and port to another network if you're not happy with the network...

Did you upgrade in October so? I'd just drop down to the lowest tariff- ask for your unlock code as you're "going to England"/ need to put your work sim in which is 02/vodafone for a month and port to another network if you're not happy with the network...
    I reckon they will send me a bill in any case??, they know all the tricks. And that unpaid bill/ abandoned network will give you a bad credit history I think. They have it all covered. That sounds feesable but too good to be true maybe????

I reckon they will send me a bill in any case??, they know all the tricks. And that unpaid bill/ abandoned network will give you a bad credit history I think. They have it all covered. That sounds feesable but too good to be true maybe????

If you're unhappy with Meteor and you're still in contract with them, drop down to the lowest tariff, ask for your unlock code, wait until you're sure you're tariff has been changed and then move to another network, you'll get a final bill for the remaining amount of months in your contract(if you're still in contract) pay it(so you don't get a bad score) and you're free from Meteor...

If you're unhappy with Meteor and you're still in contract with them, drop down to the lowest tariff, ask for your unlock code, wait until you're sure you're tariff has been changed and then move to another network, you'll get a final bill for the remaining amount of months in your contract(if you're still in contract) pay it(so you don't get a bad score) and you're free from Meteor...
    Think that may be my only option if my plea of no coverage doesn't cut it with them....:rolleyes: Thanks!

Think that may be my only option if my plea of no coverage doesn't cut it with them....:rolleyes: Thanks!

Best of luck with that one:L let us know how you get on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

solitaryman, or phuqer as you like to be known now :P

When you say you don't use your minutes, are you sure it's not just that you're using the phone most at evenings and weekends so most of the minutes you use aren't counted?

If so, you could find your bills shooting up on a lower tariff, if not, ignore this post :D

• Advertisement

-Phuqer- wrote: »
    Surely I'll be able to do it after next month as that would be 6 months because I paid two months on my first bill and you pay your line rental ahead
    that's not how it works i'm afraid, you get that extra month back at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭7.Ronaldo

They will allow you to cancel based on coverage issues. A plea isnt enough though! If that was the case everybody would call in and say they want to cancel due to a coverage issue and their would be no point in having a post pay / contract option.

If you are having bad coverage then call 1905. The representative will go through a full troubleshoot and you may be required to provide 3 examples of dropped calls / calls where you had poor coverage and driving directions to your home address.

They will then log a call with tech support who will be able to determine if you are experiencing poor coverage. If you are then you will be entitled to cancel without contract penalties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

-Phuqer- wrote: »
    No I have the free meteor to meteor calls and texts. Would be lucky to go over 100 minutes a month and I have 300. I do ring and text the girlfriend a good bit but if I switched to the €20 a month tariff I could just get her to ring me (she's on prepay with free calls and texts too) and still get my free texts.

so according to your bill you use 100 minutes but you probably use way more than 300. but if you can get the gf to ring you it's all good. i know my spend dropped massively when my gf signed up to talk 300 :D

she actually signed up about 2 months before the free calls and texts offer came out on prepay. we were well pissed off about that

7.Ronaldo wrote: »
    They will allow you to cancel based on coverage issues. A plea isnt enough though! If that was the case everybody would call in and say they want to cancel due to a coverage issue and their would be no point in having a post pay / contract option.

If you are having bad coverage then call 1905. The representative will go through a full troubleshoot and you may be required to provide 3 examples of dropped calls / calls where you had poor coverage and driving directions to your home address.

They will then log a call with tech support who will be able to determine if you are experiencing poor coverage. If you are then you will be entitled to cancel without contract penalties.
    I have done all of that, made my 3 calls and all three dropped, directions etc so just waiting to see what they have to say. I'll be out of luck no doubt, they will find a spot in my yard that has full coverage!!!
    I know a plea wont cut it but damn they make it difficult!!!:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

FYI you can no longer drop your talk plan to the lowest plan and pay off on that. Penalties are now calculated on the original tariff you signed up on, multiplied by the amount of months left on your contract. You can switch down to a lower tariff still after 6 months, but doing so in order to cancel won't work anymore.

chrislad wrote: »
    FYI you can no longer drop your talk plan to the lowest plan and pay off on that. Penalties are now calculated on the original tariff you signed up on, multiplied by the amount of months left on your contract. You can switch down to a lower tariff still after 6 months, but doing so in order to cancel won't work anymore.
    Yeah somebody told me that just today... I know people try these things to get out of paying bills etc, but for somebody with genuine reasons for wanting to change its so much more difficult!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

If it's a genuine reason, you can drop to Talk 60, pay it for 5 months, then 30 days notice. Use a different number in the meantime, but honestly, the vast amount of people do it to just buy out of a contract out of pettiness. I've seen countless people who have complained that 3, O2, Meteor and Vodafone have screwed them. All 4 of them screwed one person? Hmm. Me thinks the problem lies elsewhere.

Case in point: I had a 'gentleman' who signed to Talk 400. He was spending 140 plus each month on credit, all calls, no texts. Got a free phones. Bills working out about 65 to 70 per month. He broke the screen on his phone, Meteor offered to pay the cost of the repair (by taking it off his bill) but he cancelled in anger, because he wasn't given a new phone, despite the damage being caused by himself (the phone was a Nokia 2760, 49e brand new). Crazy.

If it's a genuine reason, you can drop to Talk 60, pay it for 5 months, then 30 days notice. Use a different number in the meantime, but honestly, the vast amount of people do it to just buy out of a contract out of pettiness. I've seen countless people who have complained that 3, O2, Meteor and Vodafone have screwed them. All 4 of them screwed one person? Hmm. Me thinks the problem lies elsewhere.

Case in point: I had a 'gentleman' who signed to Talk 400. He was spending 140 plus each month on credit, all calls, no texts. Got a free phones. Bills working out about 65 to 70 per month. He broke the screen on his phone, Meteor offered to pay the cost of the repair (by taking it off his bill) but he cancelled in anger, because he wasn't given a new phone, despite the damage being caused by himself (the phone was a Nokia 2760, 49e brand new). Crazy.
    I guess they have to cover themselves when people just simply change their minds about the bill contract. I was bill for a year living in galway and no problems at all. i have since moved home for work and now i have zero to very poor coverage... its so frustrating that i have been paying monthly bills for a crappy service! and if my coverage is sufficient in their eyes when or if they check it out, then either sticking with them or paying up are my options!! I miss payg sometimes, less hassle!!!!

• Advertisement

Surely in month 6 of your 12 month contract you can still ring up and drop to talk60. Then the next day port to Vodafone. Then Meteor will send you talk60 x 6 months bill?

No ?

Advertisement