Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.17HMR-What sort of accuracy can be expected?

Options
  • 20-01-2009 9:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭

The .17HMR are know for their high accuracy but how good are the different brands on the market today.
    Please feel free to comment on sporters and match grade barrels.

PS
    Who is making the cheapest and how do they compare??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Ivan I cant comment on match grade or sporter barrels, i personally have heavy barrrel in a varmint 17 HMR. On a nice calm day at 100 yards I will put a 5 shot group through a 1" circle, the 17 is pretty flat out to about 130 yards but wind is a HUGE factor. Run a few different brands of ammo through yours to see what it likes. Here is the model I have and i cant fault it.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/17HMRMagnum/917VS-CF.asp

You cant beat practice and time you put in with it. Learn to shoot safely in all conditions within reason.

What firearms did you purchase and will you be putting some pictures of them up ??

You must have the record for staring the most new threads in one day :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Well theres no harm in a few good thread starters, some days theres nothing happing here but luckily i,m around.

i have a Marlin .22lr 70PPS, Anschutz .22mag and a Remington Swift (waiting on licence still for swift)

might get Shot of the mag and replace it with a .17HMR:D

Anyway does the acu-tip style bullets make a difference to accuracy

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Well theres no harm in a few good thread starters, some days theres nothing happing here but luckily i,m around.

i have a Marlin .22lr 70PPS, Anschutz .22mag and a Remington Swift (waiting on licence still for swift)

might get Shot of the mag and replace it with a .17HMR:D

Anyway does the acu-tip style bullets make a difference to accuracy

Got to say mine loves Federal Premium V shock 17 grain, a friend in my club has the same model rifle but his is not a fan of them at all his likes cci in 20 grain. Its try as many brands as you can till you find the ones your barrel likes..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Here's a link below for you ivanthehunter, you should find a lot of information on it, personally myself I find the .17hmr very accurate once you haven't wind's about 15mph upwards, I had a .22 mag and don't regret changing to the hmr.
    http://www.varmintal.net/17hmr.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Callow Man

Ivan

I picked up a CZ 452 .17HMR American just before the christmas and have to say it's a great little rifle. Made my decision based on the great feedback it got from reading through previous threads on this fourm.

Have only used one type of round in it yet, the federal .17 17gr Vmax and a 5 shot group on a 1" circle at 100 yards is easily acheivable on a fairly calm day. It does labour a bit past 150 yards or in a stronger wind but I would rate it highly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

CZ 452 Varmint is the best to go with unless you want to spend 550euro plus just for the rifle.

Mine is very accurate at 100yards on a calm day half inch groups are not unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭lordarpad

is it available as a leftie?

lordarpad wrote: »

not currently!

AFAIK and i just looked at their advertisement in the back of a magazine

I got the left hand version in the American(100 euro extra):(

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭lordarpad

Callow Man wrote: »

getting tempted. How much was it? and what kind of scope?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭philog

i have cz 452 .17 hmr very accurate little gun shoots brilliant with cci 17 grain 12.50 a box in griffin hawe in athy

scope is a 7x50 meopta illuminated brilliant scope

Callow Man wrote: »

I'll have to decide now if I'm truly ambidextrous or not! :p

geoff cooney in meath 046 9054167 great man for cz 452 best prices around and sound man to deal with

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

philog wrote: »
    geoff cooney in meath 046 9054167 great man for cz 452 best prices around and sound man to deal with

I can definitely concur here. Geoff's the soundest gun dealer by far I've had the privilege of dealing with.

getting tempted. How much was it? and what kind of scope?

Rifle(CZ452.17HMR),Scope(hawke 6x40) and Sak moderator for 680 euro.
    Not a bad package for my first rifle.

I'll have to decide now if I'm truly ambidextrous or not! :p

It would work out cheaper if ya were because us lefties always get screwed:mad:

Advertisement