Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I want a cheap film slr (suggestions please)

• 20-01-2009 9:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭

As the title suggests, i'd like one for where my a200 was likely to get a good few knocks....

Looking for something totally mechanical except for metering. Strong body too would be nice. Ohh it needs to be cheap too (like that nikon em that was got for a fiver)

I'm not totally tied in to any brand aswell

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

landyman wrote: »
    As the title suggests, i'd like one for where my a200 was likely to get a good few knocks....

Looking for something totally mechanical except for metering. Strong body too would be nice. Ohh it needs to be cheap too (like that nikon em that was got for a fiver)

I'm not totally tied in to any brand aswell

Any suggestions?

Nikon FM/FM2/FM2n/FM10
    http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonfmseries/index.htm

Probably pick it up cheap enough on Ebay. The FM and FM2/n are pretty robust bodies, the FM10 was made by cosina for nikon so its build quality is more on par with modern slrs. lots of plastic.

If you want to eschew the completely mechanical except for metering then the FE series is IMHO far superior. I have an FE2, it has aperture priority and full nikon TTL flash. Without batteries you're stuck with 1/90th of a second though. The batteries however are cheap as chips and last for years. Mine have never run out, I just replace them every year just to be on the safe side. Two button batteries and you're off again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Have a look at minolta cameras for lens comparability, personally I have a nikon f90x and f100 film bodies, both excellent, f90 is pretty cheap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

I don't know if this is allowed by the mods or not but I have a Minolta Dynax 300si .............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

jaqian wrote: »
    I don't know if this is allowed by the mods or not but I have a Minolta Dynax 300si..............

take to a pm :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    take to a pm :)

Cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

I have a fine Pentax MZ 50, which is probably obsolete by now. However I still prefer the photos it takes to the Canon Digital Rebel ones.

This is an interesting group which might help you choose:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/pentax_k/discuss/72157607580146264/

I have to admit I cannot grasp the K and non-K debate, but the Fa zoom lens I chose for the MZ 50 is delightfully smooth to use:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/9541-opinions-pentax-zoom-telephoto-smcp-fa-j-75-300mm-f-4-5-5-8-al.html

Film is so sharp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I got my cosina C90 pentax K mount with a (crappy) zoom, a very nice small bag, a roll of film and a lollipop off ebay for 36 euro :D All manual except for a very basic light meter..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

An Olympus om1 or om2 for the win :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

For what you are looking for I would go for an early Nikon as they had a very strong build. The only problem is that a lot of these are now going up in value as they become collectors items.

The Olympus OM1 OM2 & OM10 were also solid beasts.

If you dont need an SLR I have a couple of 35mm Compacts that are available for loan. They have survived inside Series Landrovers already, so are tough enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭La La

i shoot with a Canon EOS 100. it's a dream, cost about 20 euro on ebay (there are tonnes) and have been loving the results over the last year.

I also have a Nikon FM that was handed down to me. havent developed that film yet but it's a pretty sweet piece. the canon is hardier though and i have no qualms about it getting knocked around a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Thanks all..........

Couple of options i was thinking about.

1. Oly om series. Om 1 or two going for about 60 to 80 on ebay inc a fifty lens.

2. Nikon fm2 or fe2. I like these except there expensive. These going for about 80 to 110 euro excluding a lens.

3. Minolta srt series. Nearly the same as the oly but slightly older. Bout 70 to 100 euro including a rokkor lens.

Thanks for the offer cabinsail, theres a 35 compact goin round at home somewhere so im alrite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 RobH

I got a Phenix in the Camera Exchange on George's street for around €100 a while ago, savage little camera. Have since upgraded to a Canon Film SLR but the Phenix still comes out when I want to go fully manual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Go into Camera Exchange or Conns Cameras and see what they have. They will also advise you on lens options.

I personally would second an OM1 or an OM10. I have an OM10 myself - they are, however, aperture priority (although I have the gizmo for switching it to fully manual).

If you can rise to it at all, a Canon A1 is a wonderful wonderful camera. Again, get it with a 50mm if you can at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

there's an OM10 in Gunns but I don't think the OP is in Dublin...

jaqian wrote: »
    I don't know if this is allowed by the mods or not but I have a Minolta Dynax 300si .............

A truly cryptic post.

I tried to buy a Phoenix 50mm in Gunns, but it was not the correct Pentax mount.

It was just within my price-range at about 60 euro.

I've seen mixed reviews of Phoenix lenses on the Internet, but since this applies to all brands, I keep an open mind.

Does anybody know if this is a good wide-angle lens?

http://www.adorama.com/SY1935KPR.html

It seems good value.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Anouilh wrote: »
    A truly cryptic post.

I tried to buy a Phoenix 50mm in Gunns, but it was not the correct Pentax mount.

It was just within my price-range at about 60 euro.

I've seen mixed reviews of Phoenix lenses on the Internet, but since this applies to all brands, I keep an open mind.

Does anybody know if this is a good wide-angle lens?

http://www.adorama.com/SY1935KPR.html

It seems good value.

they stopped making them less than 3 months ago... so in short supply, a million of em in college for students to get their heads round the basics of photography, nice cameras, well built, never understood what mount iit was, suspected pentax, but 50mm 1.7 is all ya need starting out and learning anyways

Thanks for taking time to explain.

Pentax was taken over by Samsung and it looks as if lenses for film cameras will have to be second-hand from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

The FM 2 is a very solid camera; quite compact as compared to modern dSLRs.
    the OM 1 is even more so plus a nice big bright viewfinder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

landyman wrote: »

I got a Pentax Super ME second hand last year on www.photographyireland.net. For €100 I got a the body, Zoom, wide angle prime, 2x50mm primes (one I think was an after purchase, a bit faster), two flashes I have never used and a bag to carry it all in. Fully manual except the metering. I love it. Not a fiver but there you are.

Advertisement