Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roof overhang - too short

• 20-01-2009 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi all,
    I’m in a bit of a situation at the moment and any advice would be greatly appreciated. My timber frame company erected our house just before Christmas. No block work has been carried out yet.

The front elevation of our house is planned to be a combination of stonework at the bottom half and block and render up to the roof. All foundations are in-place for the stone to go against the block.

The timberframe company has made a mistake in the size they left the roof over-hang. They have left it too short in that the distance the joists are coming out over the timber walls will not carry the roof over the stone work when the walls are built.:mad:

Any suggestions what I can do? I cannot ignore the stone work as this is on the front elevation and a change of this magnitude would involve planning!!. It has been suggested to me that I could use fake stone (Hallmark for example) that could be used to carry the blocks on top. I’m not a fan of the fake stone, especially as we spent so much time choosing the sandstone we wanted to use.

Any roofers out there with advice of what can be done with the overhang? Is this an integral part of the build or just used for the soffit or is it not to be touched?

I do intend going back to the timberframe company but I’d be in a better position if I was armed with some advice from any experts ;)

Thanks in advance
    PJ

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

You may be able to take the fascia board off and extend the rafters by nailing extension pieces to existing rafters with new plumb cuts..

this will have the side effect of dropping the height of your fascia&sofit.

It may look odd depending on the upstairs window height.

What does your chippy suggest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 PocketJacks

Thanks for getting back to me.

He said something like you did – mentioned about stacking the rafters. He also wanted to know the distance from the tops of the windows to the roof. He said it should be no problem but he’s going to call out to the site to make sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

Without seeing it first hand, I think extending the rafters is the only option.
    However, as is always the case, there are knock on effects ! This is going to have to be done all round the house, which may or may not be a runner.
    Unless some detail can be drafted to marry the different levels, tricky!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

You are compounding a problem here, which is going to affect other trades. If the timberframe company made a mistake, then inform them and let them fix it.

Otherwise you are not constructing the house you got planning for (changed elements), the drawings and details you have will not reflect what is being built, lower eaves in parts of the house will mean changes for the blocklayer/stonemason, plasterer, carpenter, fascias, soffits, positions of downpipes, gully traps, etc., etc.,

A point to think on: The only trade not affected by your solution is the timberframe company who apperantly caused the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I'm with Poor Uncle Tom here. The timberframe company made a mess of it so I'd get them to rectify it.

I did an inspection on a house a couple of months back where the concrete slabs were the wrong size. I got the rep from the company on the phone and he started giving me a load of waffle about what to do. I listened for a few minutes and told him what to do.

They removed them all the next morning. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

smashey wrote: »
    I'm with Poor Uncle Tom here. The timberframe company made a mess of it so I'd get them to rectify it.

I did an inspection on a house a couple of months back where the concrete slabs were the wrong size. I got the rep from the company on the phone and he started giving me a load of waffle about what to do. I listened for a few minutes and told him what to do.

They removed them all the next morning. ;)

They will not agree to a reroof without one hell of a fight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

gsxr1 wrote: »

They'd change it if they were told they weren't getting paid for their mistakes. ;) That's the way I work things. Somebody screws up, they either fix it or they don't get paid and the cost of the fix will be deducted from their money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

gsxr1 wrote: »

It doesnt matter if you have to fight it, they messed up and they have to fix it. Nobody wants to spend money they dont have to and they may argue it but it really is up to them to supply the frame that was specced, thats what you are paying for.
    Extending the rafters may add alot of complications, reduced light to first floor windows, uneven look to the house and may even result in additional downpipes being needed if the gutters dont link up.

Advertisement