Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to sell "Death"

Options
  • 20-01-2009 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

A close relative has published a book about "Death". He's promoted it by doing radio / newspaper interviews but hasn't really sold many copies.

I've given the book to a few friends, who found it an interesting read, but said they wouldn't have originally bought it in a book shop, and weren't sure who would - given the subject.

I was thinking a more targetted approach might be better - but am not 100% sure who'd be the target audience!

Any ideas would be welcome.

A basic website with some information on the book is here:
    http://www.thefactsofdeath.com/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭ArmCandyBaby

I know it's not much use now but the title choice seems very cold and discomforting to me. I'm quite suprised that somebody who knows so much about the subject and knows that the average person doesn't like dealing with it (hence the euphemisms...) chose such a stark title. It's surely the average person he's trying to educate? In my opinion he probably should have ripped off a line from a poem - it appears more sensitive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

As a 20 something year old, I have to tell you, that is a book I would not read. Credit to your relative for writing it, but sounds depressing. Hope you dont take offense to this.

*Also the cover of a cross in what I presume is a graveyard isnt jumping off the shelf at me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭girlbiker

Is it supposed to be funny? or Serious?

If its serious there is no way I'd buy it, imagine if you were facing death or someone you know was, it looks crass really, if it was a manual on death(which might be useful or helpful to some, mostly to prepare or to arrange things)it would need to be a lot more sensitive sounding and appearing. Sure death happens to us all and everyday but who wants to prepare for their own death? No one!

Why did he decide to write this?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

lazing wrote: »
    Any ideas would be welcome.
    You could randomly post on message bor.... oh, right. :pac:

Unless the writer has had brushes with death, and in fact been revived after flatlining, I kinda doubt his credentials.

I'm sure there's a market though. Perhaps amongst 'emo' heads with a penchant for CSI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lazing

Thanks for everyone's input. Thought you'd be interested to know that I managed to sell a few of the books - people are interested in knowing more about death as it happens!

• Advertisement
Advertisement