Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Storing convertible outside

• 20-01-2009 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Anyone got any experience of storing a classic convertible outside??

Thinking of buying a convertible but don't have a garage but was going to get an expensive cover...? :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

I have stored my car outside under and expensive (covercraft) cover. It's not a convertible but a coupe with pillarless doors so there are gaps.

It has never let a single drop of water in.

You can never escape condensation with a cover but the main advantage is that rain just runs off it. I even had it out in a torrential downpour and it was fine (had to tie it down though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

3ps wrote: »
    You can never escape condensation with a cover but the main advantage is that rain just runs off it. I even had it out in a torrential downpour and it was fine (had to tie it down though).

If you're using a cover, especially with a convertible, also invest in a dehumidifier - this usually sorts out the condensation.

You can also buy tent like covers with built in fan systems if you want to spend a few extra Euro...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

you could try storing it upside down of course....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

i never once had condensation inside the car, just on the outside.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

BSPOKE20 wrote: »
    Thinking of buying a convertible but don't have a garage but was going to get an expensive cover...? :rolleyes:
    I have to park my convertible on the street. I have a fancy cover but tbh I just drive the thing all the time so using it would be a pain, and maybe also a magnet for vandals.

Do you have a driveway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I often wondered if putting a couple of say.. sponges on the car in order to keep the cover from actually touching the bodywork as much as possible would it stop the issue with condensation ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    You could try putting lots of those silicon gel packs in the car :)
    I was looking at those yesterday!

Would a couple of these fellas keep foggy windows at bay? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭mustang68

A bowl of sugar, or salt will help, it sucks in the water. try it in your fridge/cheese box on a small scale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    You could try putting lots of those silicon gel packs in the car :)

Ok, I shouldn't have said sponges ( I didn't really think of their water soaking properties )
    What I meant was, if the cover was kept off the car, allowing air to circulate, would it stop condensation ( defo stop scratching !)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭MercMad

Yeah the covers actually aren't much use unless there is a decent breeze to blow through it and dry the bodywork.Otherwise it just holds the damp against the paint. I use one if I think I'll get caught out with frost etc....

That dehumidifier box you posted Dades would work well enough, but you'd probably go through quite a few over a period of time. I collect those little silicon jell packs every time i see them and throw them into a container in my boot. I use the car reguallrly enough and there is a good heater so no damp inside but the boot can get damp with moisture as it is not lined so there is a lot of cold metal about.

Salt or sugar would work well and be cheaper I expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭guano_jim

use a good cover... or two: i use a dust cover over the car and then a fully waterproof one over that. leave the windows open 30mm or so the breeze gets through. tie the cover loosely to prevent it blowing away but still enough that it billows and ventilates.

on a dry day or days take the cover off and run the car for 1/2 or so, with heating up to 1/2 way.

better still if you can, take it for a spin, insurance & tax being in order of course. ;)

im into my second winter with this and the car survives really well. a good clean and wax before you start is also advisable.

Advertisement