Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Auto renewal of membership

Options
  • 20-01-2009 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭

Looking for opinions on this please...

I got a renewal notice today for a gym I am a member of.

Renewal date is Feb 11th. I was planning not to renew for another year as I am not using it enough

In the letter it states that I have to give 30-days notice prior to the renewal date in order to cancel the membership renewing for another year.

Now the letter they sent was dated 10/01/09, which would have given me time to give them 30 days notice...however, the postmark on the envelope was Jan 19th, meaning I only got it today and now cannot give 30 days notice.

I'm sending them a letter in the morning to cancel and will point out the dates on the letter and envelope do not match.

If they get snotty and try force me into another 1 year membership, what can I do?

Are they in the wrong or was it up to me to cancel without them sending out a renewal notice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

It's really up to you to cancel, as it is outlined in your contract.
    Their sending a letter is just a courtesy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

There was no contract per se. I just filled out a membership form.

It's not Jackie Skellys by the way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Were you given a copy of the form, or a receipt when you signed on? They may have the terms and conditions of your memebership on it.

There's no harm in approaching them, pointing out the discrepancies in the dates and asking them what they can do for you. If there's no joy, then hopefully you can cancel there and then with 30 days notice. You might have to pay an extra month.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

mick_irl wrote: »
    There was no contract per se. I just filled out a membership form.

It's not Jackie Skellys by the way :)

If you didn't sign an actual contract with all the T&C's outlined, then I think the law would be on your side.

Ask them to show you a copy of the contract you signed..they'll soon let you end your membership!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

dudara and eth0_, thanks for the replies.

Was never given a copy of the membership form i signed or any T&Cs.

All i was given was a photocopy of a photocopy listing the opening hours, prices and timetable for extra classes (pilates, spinning, etc), the rules for use of the pool/jacuzzi and a little gym towel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Either way, I'd say 30 days notice from now would be enough. Just write to them, or ask when you're next it, and tell them you're not renewing. Keep the envelope to show that their notice letter was pre-dated, and if the worst comes to the worst, ask them to produce the contract.

If you've set up a direct debit for the payment, make sure to cancel it with the bank.

Advertisement