Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote stopcock

Options
  • 20-01-2009 10:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi,

I was wondering is there such thing as an electricl powered stopcock? the stopcock is in a really awkward place in the house (behind kitchen cupboards - I need to take the back off the cupboard to access it) - and wanted to fit a remote stopcock. Something I could switch off using an electrical switch. Could I gerry rig one of those central heating zone powered stopcock? or would that take mains pressure?

thanks,
    J
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

A heating zone valve would not be suitable, as they are not designed to take mains water pressure.

A suitable solenoid valve would work, something like this.

Make sure you install it upstream of the stopcock, and it might be an idea to put a manual bypass valve around it so that when the coil eventually burns out you can still get water into the house.

How often do you need to turn off the mains water supply?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭jdpl28

thanks for that.

it's actually a secondary stopcock going out to supply a shead with water. I want to be able to turn it off on cold nights. Don't want the outside pipe freezing and bursting...

A stopcock won't stop the pipe from freezing and bursting, as it will still be full of water. It will stop the burst pipe from flooding its surroundings when it thaws.

If you use plastic pipe outdoors you should be reasonably protected from frost damage. For example, Qualpex is resistant to frost damage down to -20C. Not sure about PVC pipes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

just curious....

but is a stopcock not the floating thing in the attic and in the toilet,

thought those mains valves were called quarter turns

mukki wrote: »
    just curious....

but is a stopcock not the floating thing in the attic and in the toilet,

thought those mains valves were called quarter turns

A float valve in a cistern is a ballcock.

A quarter turn isolating valve is a ball valve, look inside one and you'll see why :-)

A mains water isolating valve is called a stopcock.

Can be confusing, especially as there are lots of slang terms in use as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 secondstream

You can get a unit from a company called Express Valve Services in Dublin - www.expressvalveservices.com
    It is a remote radio controlled automatic stopcock which you can operate from a controller. It's great also for giving you peace of mind if you go off on holliers as it detects abnormal flows and automatically turns off the water supply to stop leaks or flooding your house. You can just turn off the water alltogether with this as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 glassmullan

know this tread is two years old but thought i would post this option, I was actually trying to search if there was something cheaper on boards, but found nothing http://www.eastmidlandswater.com/Details.asp?ProductID=1211

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

bit pricey that, tho ive seen one before it looks like a gas emergency push button thing but its to turn off the water main, was looking to price one myself actually, especially for older customers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

This type of device has become very popular of late because it's a very simple Autodial piece of kit that’s adapted for various bits of kit ranging from switching on the heating remotely to operating a motorised valve to switch water on or off. First developed for lifting barrier gates.

Hi, yep after aa bit more looking around its was very price all right. was able to get one on ebay.co.uk for £20. I figure with having a switch it would be much easer to use as easy to access. Also thought it might be handy when going off for holidays etc and could turn off the water with just a switch of a button, repeat of the artic weather was my consurn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

Hi, yep after aa bit more looking around its was very price all right. was able to get one on ebay.co.uk for £20. I figure with having a switch it would be much easer to use as easy to access. Also thought it might be handy when going off for holidays etc and could turn off the water with just a switch of a button, repeat of the artic weather was my consurn

which one did u get on ebay? link/pic?

Went for "SureStop Remote Water Switch Complete Kit 22mm" I will let the forum know how i get on with it.

Advertisement