Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

coconut milk replacement

• 20-01-2009 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm looking for suggestions for substitutes for coconut milk for curry type recipes as the low fat version is still extremely high in calories. I have thought about 0% fat greek yoghurt but can't find it anywhere.

All suggestions welcome - yum yum

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭niamh.brady

cozmik wrote: »

Cozmik, that sounds absolutely brilliant. You are a star!:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

the lite coconut milks are not extremely high in calories at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

No they are just coconut milk mixed with water!
    Seriously have a look at the can the ingredients are the same but just more water.
    Ripoff, just buy a can and use half water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

I was actually going to post on this topic...I was at my weight watchers meeting the other night and one of the members gave a really good tip regarding coconut milk. She uses the creamed coconut and just scrapes a bit off so to get the flavour. Id imagine she uses stock as the liquid for the curry

I thought this was a brilliant idea. Does anyone do this or know if the creamed variety is higher in fat???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

CJhaughey wrote: »
    No they are just coconut milk mixed with water!
    Seriously have a look at the can the ingredients are the same but just more water.
    Some might be, but stuff I saw had no water in either one, I am guessing it is like low fat milk, they just separate the fats out.
    mrsberries wrote: »
    Does anyone do this or know if the creamed variety is higher in fat???
    It is much higher in fat, this is probably the by-product from the low fat coconut milk, think of it like dairy cream, or butter.

Coconut is ~65% fat. But it is meant to be really quite good for you, I eat coconut flour, whey, oats & milk all mixed up for breakfast.

Thing is if you are counting WW points then coconuts are really high in points, since they seem to demonize fat in the WW formula. So many will probably tend to avoid very nutritious foods, like coconut, nuts, avocado, which is a shame.

You can have 2 items, one with over double the points of the other, but having the exact same calories.

I reckon 10points worth of coke would be a lot more fattening than 10points worth of coconut or nuts

Advertisement