Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orals

Options
  • 20-01-2009 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭

:eek: So with the orals creeping up how is everyone suited? Been preparing much or concentrating on the mocks.

I'm grand for French, but Irish I don't know anything bar the basics *hint hint people*

Comments

The word oral, coupled with the smiley :eek:, make quite an amusing combination.

Ok, I'm sorry: I'll keep sexual innuendo out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Watch TG4 till your eyes bleed. Aifric isn't bad, if it's still up on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Watch TG4 till your eyes bleed. Aifric isn't bad, if it's still up on their website.

Actually tried watching that programme today but couldn't handle it.:D

Are the orals really 15 mins?:eek:

Thinking off it I'm not to bad at Irish, should get full marks for the Sliocht and I know enough oral Irish to get me through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Oddly, I'm not that nervous about the Irish orals....

French is on the complete opposite end of the scale, I haven't a clue, and I cannot put even the slightest french lilt on my accent, with the result I sound completely ridiculous when I try to speak it :rolleyes:

Any tips for maximizing the number of marks I could get for it? I'm currently struggling to get an OD3; and I feel that the oral will be my downfall - and if that's so, no college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Dante

Hopefully an overload in friendly nods and striking arm gestures accompanied with the odd "aaahhhhh oui!" will get me through my french oral!
    As for Irish....the spamming of everyones favorite word "sea" might scrape me through!
    PS: Don't ruin my optimism.....it's all I have left :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

French will be grand unless they start takin the piss.

Ordinary Irish will be fine too.

French orals are where I'm hoping to pick up the marks. I can speak far more than I can write.

The writing will kill me as my teacher isn't doing it with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Dante

K4t wrote: »
    French will be grand unless they start takin the piss.

Ordinary Irish will be fine too.

There are no specific ordinary or higher level orals....Its all the same; the examiner doesn't know what level you do and they are told to mark you accordingly so I've been told!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

A bit worried about the Irish orals. . . but the strangest thing is our teacher says most always get an A.Don't know how true that is.
    The Italian Oral should be fine cos we have an excellent teacher for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Are the orals really 15 mins?:eek:
    15 minutes yes, feels like the time flies, tbh. When I think about my Irish Oral all I can remember is talking about going to the Gaeltacht... for like, 30 seconds, and then leaving. Maybe I repressed it all. : p
    Any tips for maximizing the number of marks I could get for it? I'm currently struggling to get an OD3; and I feel that the oral will be my downfall - and if that's so, no college.
    Tbh, and it's a bit late for this I realise, the best thing that helped me was going to the Gaeltacht in the summer. After that I felt happy to ramble in Irish about anything I wanted.
    For the Oral though.. well, just use Irish as much as you can, I suppose. It's just about being comfortable stringing sentences together without having to stop and think "okay how do I conjugate the present tense...". Also knowing what you'd say to certain questions, not in the sense of learning off answers, just so you're not thrown if they say "What would you do if you were principal?", so you can have an opinion already formulated.
    Ultimately I can't really help too much, Irish is one subject (well aside from maths etc. obviously) that I had a real passion for so I spoke Irish as much as I could, joined Irish language groups online (#gaeilge on quakenet!) etc., so I don't know tricks as it were. : p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Loving how the french book recommends we just stick our document in their face if we get asked a sticky question.

"Est-ce qu'il y a beaucoup des problemes sociale dans cette region?"

".... Voila, j'ai fait un docuthingy! Regarde!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I'm bricking it. I'm **** at french and irish, can't speak either plus I keep mixing the two up! and I'm doing honours in both, I think I may drop down in french

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Edsgravy0

French shouldn't be too bad. Irish could be quite tricky

I'm just worried that rather than sitting there with not a clue what to say, I'll turn into a gibbering wreck and the orals will go like the Spud interview scene from Trainspotting (i.e, a feckin disaster)

La crise financiére est trés grave... oui, bien sur...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

:eek: So with the orals creeping up how is everyone suited? Been preparing much or concentrating on the mocks.

I'm grand for French, but Irish I don't know anything bar the basics *hint hint people*

i'm the other way round...grand for irish,screwd for french

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Oooh my german will be a disaster. Ah well, you cant win em all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I'd definitely advise you to practice practice and PRACTICE the sliochts.
    Like, you can write in all the phonetics, as I'm sure you know yourself, so it's easy enoguh to get a lot of the marks in it. Even if the rest of your oral's not as you'd like it to be the sliochts are a great way to pick up marks.
    I'm not too sure about OL marking, but reading the passages is worth 5% overall of the entire HL Irish result! 5% for 1 minute of reading like!

Aside from that, focus on the basics.
    Don't worry about the difficult questions, just try to perfect the basic questions which you're going to be asked. Learn off things for your family, pastimes, school, etc and try get the examiner to stick on the topics you're most comfortable with.
    If there's a question you really don't like try bringing it back to something you're better off with.
    Do you like politics?- No, but I'm really interested in *something you're interested in*.

If you don't want to talk about drugs or economic issues, make no reference to it. etc.

If there's a question you don't understand or are struggling with, just say you don't understand and get back to a topic you know.

Hope I'm of some help...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,994 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Heya lads,

I did the Leaving last year, French and Irish higher level.

First of all, time wise, the 12-15 minutes will actually fly, don't worry about that.

Second of all, be sure just to have plenty of schpeal made up for key subjects, particularly family, hobbies, subjects, and the more abstract subjects, like economy, environment, etc.

Thirdly, the best thing to do is just stay calm, the worst thing you can do is cram the night before, because I guarantee, you will BLANK.

Just practise practise practise!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Irish should be ok, as should French if I just get around to learning off my document. For German I'm a bit worried as my grammar tends to be all over the gaff. But something like 60% of that oral is learned off beforehand so hopefully that'll get me through!

u do 3 languages??

Yeah

• Advertisement

:eek: Jeez you must have a knack for languages then? Is it not real tough... how you remember all the rules and stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭pepsicokeacola

irish oral is easy but then im near fluent in it, but the paper itself is absolute bull****. I HATE IRISH(LEAVING CERT):mad:

OH BTW dont learn it off word for it, try to get free with our language

http://www.tg4.tv/default.aspx?p=channels/CulaArchive&a=55289

if nothing else it gives u a good reason to watch the smashing clíona ní chíosan.

Thanks for the tips PFM and bythewoods. I badly need all the tips I can get!

:eek: Jeez you must have a knack for languages then? Is it not real tough... how you remember all the rules and stuff

Well Irish, French and German are all so different that it's hard to mix up the rules. The only time it gets annoying is when I can think of a word in one language and not the other. The words and sentence structures are so different that a rule in one language would be impossible to use in another, so a lot of the grammar fits the specific language.

Now if I were doing French and Spanish that'd be a totally different story! They're quite similar in their structure and a lot of the words are the same so I can see myself getting very confused!

Piste wrote: »
    Well Irish, French and German are all so different that it's hard to mix up the rules. The only time it gets annoying is when I can think of a word in one language and not the other. The words and sentence structures are so different that a rule in one language would be impossible to use in another, so a lot of the grammar fits the specific language.

Now if I were doing French and Spanish that'd be a totally different story! They're quite similar in their structure and a lot of the words are the same so I can see myself getting very confused!

Ye well good luck nyway;)

irish oral is easy but then im near fluent in it, but the paper itself is absolute bull****. I HATE IRISH(LEAVING CERT):mad:

OH BTW dont learn it off word for it, try to get free with our language

http://www.tg4.tv/default.aspx?p=channels/CulaArchive&a=55289

if nothing else it gives u a good reason to watch the smashing clíona ní chíosan.

Agreed. The Irsh paper is ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

These are the 40 French Oral questions which the examiners got as ideas for the 2008 Leaving Cert at a conference in Athlone. Hope they help someone.;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

This thread has not lived up to its title. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Had my German mock oral today! Went pretty well, since I was so lucky in getting the first picture sequence and first role play, the ones I actually knew well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Eeeeeek! Mock Irish oral either tomorrow or Friday - they won't tell us! I'm a little bit nervous, and just want it over, but it should be good practice and take away some of the nerves for the real thing.

French will be a whole different ballgame.

Advertisement