Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Team Pictures

• 20-01-2009 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

I'm having trouble with the sharpness in some pictures of teams I've taken recently.

What are the key rules for team portraits?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Any Examples?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Up the aperture to f/8 so they are all more in focus
    Also up the iso a notch or two so it will compensate for camera shake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

You might even need f/11 if it's GAA and you have subs in the shot too.
    The lower the aperture simply won't do.
    I always use a flash for team shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

might be a silly question - but are you in Servo mode or one shot when taking the team pics .... I'd say switch to one shot.

Depending on the light .... high shutter and AV and job done.....then change Focus back to Servo mode.

Use flash to get rid of dark eyes - but make sure you dont expose incorrectly and get burned out faces.

if other pics (action shots) are not as sharp I'd say time for a camera clean - all contacts/sensor etc....and contacts clean on lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭corkandproud

City-Exile wrote: »
    You might even need f/11 if it's GAA and you have subs in the shot too.
    The lower the aperture simply won't do.
    I always use a flash for team shots.

I've gone through a few shots and they're mostly at 6 or 6.4, Also like the flash idea. I done quite a few indoor presentations with Programme Mode and the results are always quite adequate (for press).

Can't post examples as they are mostly kids teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sasar

F stop depends on the distance between the closest subject and the furthest.

Check out this link and calculate what aperture to use.
    http://dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

f/6 should be ok, so long as you don't have too many rows of people.
    It might be down to the shutter speed.
    Do you use a tripod?

Also, if you're using a high ISO, that may be contributing.

You can of course sharpen afterwards.
    If you don't have Photoshop, the Canon DPP software would work.

Are you always using the same lens?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

I'm having trouble with the sharpness in some pictures of teams I've taken recently.

What are the key rules for team portraits?

In Cork its 15 Players who dont care who the manager is;) Sorry couldnt resist:)
    F.8 is what I found about best. I dont always use flash but have seen some and it works well.

Advertisement