Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alice In Chains singer, yay or nay?

• 20-01-2009 11:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭

The new lad im on about now.

Got my ticket to see them in oz, i know they played afew years back in Ireland.
    Does anyone who went have any opinions on them now that they would like to share?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

He does his job well. Got decent stage presence too. No complaints from a fan point of view and certainly none from a technical point of view. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Chaosangel

Duvall isnt it?..saw em a few year back alrite thought he had a great stage presence,good singer considering who he's stepping in for,the band were tight out anyway so your in for a good show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

From what I remember of seeing them, he did the job very well indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Hopefully people don't expect a Staley clone and AIC can get past the "It's not Alice In Chains without...." bull**** which has plagued the likes of Sepultura. Expect something different and enjoy it. He seems like a good singer and a decent bloke and it's great to see that band in action again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Its not AIC without... o sorry Doctor J
    but it's not though. Saley as AIC in my eyes i'd have no inerest in this band now. Saw AiC waay back in the Point supporting Megadeth 1990?. Staley poured his heart out in those songs and became them that is why I think now they are just another band.

• Advertisement

I was also at that gig. Mike Starr was pouring his heart out too ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭h8red

Is Jerry Cantrell still with them? He was as much AIC as Staley was.

Yep, it's Cantrell, Kinney, Inez and Duvall now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭h8red

Sweet. Cantrell is the business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭finbarr

Never saw 'em with Layne. Did see them supporting Metallica a few years back and they were fantastic... Duvall did justice to the old stuff and has me looking forward to any new music from them.

Some of my favourite music is Jar Of Flies and their Unplugged album but we all know there'll never be a Layne Staley in AIC again so...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

so change the name!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

How come people let AC/DC off for replacing Bon Scott, but AIC get slagged off....

seachto7 wrote: »
    How come people let AC/DC off for replacing Bon Scott, but AIC get slagged off....
    or Iron Maiden, or Faith No More, or Pantera etc ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭lurrrvs2sp00ge

meh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭finbarr

Doctor J wrote: »
    or Iron Maiden, or Faith No More, or Pantera etc ;)

You could add Anthrax, Cryptopsy, Skid Row, Helloween, Sabbath, Trouble, Queen, Thin Lizzy, Van Halen...

Myself and the wife were talking about this years Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame and the whole 25 years after your 1st album requirement. She jokingly mentioned that it should only apply to a band that maintained the same line-up for that 25 years... Silly I know but when we started thinking about it there's actually f**k all bands that haven't changed line-up in that time frame. Maybe they should all change thier names too... After all it's not the same band anymore is it???

A band name is nothing more than a label to print on the front of a record sleeve. It's not a guarantee of good tunes, of adhering to any genre or musical style. Seeing Metallica on an album does not guarantee that the music within will bear any resemblance in sound, quality or anything else to Master Of Puppets, for example. It's just a brand name, like Volkswagen or Mr. Kipling. Times change, people change, music changes, it's a good thing. Enjoy the journey.

Crosby, Stills and Nash, however, now if one of them goes, fair enough, but if the keyboard player from Rammstein leaves, is it really less Rammstein?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

i know they played afew years back in Ireland.

Mainstage support to Metallica during the Summer of 06 because Korn pulled out at the last minute to Alice In Chains were moved from Tent Headliners to Main Stage openers. Metallica, especially James, has always been a huge supporter of this band in any formation - he played with them at Rock Am Ring the same year - and I think the new guy knows enough of the old classics to put on a good show. But I would hope the new album is enough to get them through the usual "Im going for the old ****" phase

The OP would be wise to watch the footage below, the view is terrible, but the sound is excellent....

Anthrax replaced their singer, didn't do them too much harm. I can listen to both but prefer John Bush era for sure.

I think he was referring to Neil Turbin too, the first singer. Anthrax's success came during the eras of their second and third singers ;)

Doctor J wrote: »
    I think he was referring to Neil Turbin too, the first singer. Anthrax's success came during the eras of their second and third singers ;)

forgot about Neil Turbin, and Anthrax replaced Bush with Belladonna, and now have a new singer again...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭toffo

DuVall was excellant when they supported 'tallica.
    Rock Am Ring stuff from 06 here
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Alice+In+Chains+Rock+Am+Ring+2006

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

I dont see a problem with the members of a band maintaining the name should one member leave/die/get kicked out. Axl is pushing it abit though.

Why bother change the name? They are gonna be playing the old favourites anyway and it gives the band a helping hand when trying to get going again.

With or without Layne i cant wait to see alice in chains play, there is too much sh1te and not enough of the bands that i grew up listening still touring in any shape or form to be getting bogged down in specifics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Seen them at the Metallica gig too. Great stuff! Good singer!

Was talking to him after Metallica played aswell. he was just standing at a side barrier when everything was finished watching all the fans leave so me and my sis went up for a chat. Real down to earth guy.

http://www.stellarproducts.biz/alinchroamri.html

This DVD should be a must since the band have yet to release a new album with a newer lineup

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Saw them with Metallica, and also in Austria the same year. William DuVall is a solid singer and front man. Definitely a show to enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Neo#

http://www.stellarproducts.biz/alinchroamri.html

This DVD should be a must since the band have yet to release a new album with a newer lineup

Is that a bootleg because I cant find it on amazon or anywhere else? Might be worth a purchase.

Neo# wrote: »
    Is that a bootleg because I cant find it on amazon or anywhere else? Might be worth a purchase.

Yes its a bootleg but its pro shot from a German TV programme so its watchable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Neo#

Must get it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

The whole "Not the same without Staley" arguement is dependent on whether you ever seen them with Layne Stayley. Most people on this thread mention the Metallica show, but having seen Alice in Chains in the SFX back in 1993 (i think), I cant muster up any enthusiasm for them since Stayley's death. "DIRT" is easily the best album of the grunge era, inc "NEVERMIND". You can really sense the turmoil that the frontman was embroiled in throughout the album. "Down in a hole" is a monster of a song.....hear, "...I have been guilty of kicking myself in the teeth, look at me now Im a man who wont let himself be". Their show in the SFX was f@cking intense and I remember reading Jerry Cantrells tour diary in Kerrang at the time where he said, the Dublin show was the first time he was actually scared of the crowd such was their entusiasm. It was a privilage to be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

Wow... I had no idea about this. A huge AIC fan from the get go, saw them support Megadeth in the Point and was at the aforementioned AMAZING SFX gig (also interesting re tour diary, thanks for that, there was an atmosphere there alright) but to get to the point even though I am a HUGE fan of Staley's voice (he really was unique, NO ONE sounds like him) I'd be very open to listening to the new guy and to any new music AIC put out. Interesting news indeed.

Advertisement