Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alice In Chains singer, yay or nay?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

poundhound wrote: »
    having seen Alice in Chains in the SFX back in 1993 (i think), I cant muster up any enthusiasm for them since Stayley's death.

To be fair, I'd say most people on this thread aren't old enough to have seen Alice In Chains in the SFX in 93....in any case, from all accounts of anyone I have ever spoken to, that was the the most amazing gig the band has ever played

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

The whole "Not the same without Staley" arguement is dependent on whether you ever seen them with Layne Stayley. Most people on this thread mention the Metallica show, but having seen Alice in Chains in the SFX back in 1993 (i think), I cant muster up any enthusiasm for them since Stayley's death. "DIRT" is easily the best album of the grunge era, inc "NEVERMIND". You can really sense the turmoil that the frontman was embroiled in throughout the album. "Down in a hole" is a monster of a song.....hear, "...I have been guilty of kicking myself in the teeth, look at me now Im a man who wont let himself be". Their show in the SFX was f@cking intense and I remember reading Jerry Cantrells tour diary in Kerrang at the time where he said, the Dublin show was the first time he was actually scared of the crowd such was their entusiasm. It was a privilage to be there.

Thats great to hear. Show definitely sounds amazing and nobody is doubting the talent that was Layne ... but maybe it's time for people to get over it and move on? The band are certainly trying to...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

One of the things I remember about that show was that Stayley said right from the outset, "Dublin, you give us a show and we'll give you a show!".At various stages throughoutout the gig the stage was swamped by fans and stagedivers while the band played on regardless. The security guards didnt know what the f@ck was happening. Stayley stood motionless centre stage, while Cantrell looked a tad uncomfortable with the preceeedings. Layne Stayleys menacing stance was only broken when some chancer decided to help himself to a swig of the frontmans bottle of JD. Que Layne Stayley, "Hey Jack, don't fcuk with my Jack!".The SFX was a dump of a venue but Ive seen some great gigs there, Kings X in 1990, Queensryche in 1991, AIC in 1993, The Black Crowes, Suede, Stone Temple Pilots in 1994 and Skunk Anansie and Iron Maiden in 1995. Great days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I still can' t understand how AC/DC are getting away with their change of singer. No one seems to be slating them...:confused:

Probably because Brian Johnston is unique himself and the band really only received mass success from 1980 onwards. Remember AC/DC's first album with Johnston on vocals is arguably their best album and the 3rd biggest selling album of all time.Regardless of your preference, not only did Brian Johnston step into Bon Scotts shoes, he contributed to taking them to another level.Ive often wondered what Back in Black would sound like with Bon Scott on vocals?! Cant imagine anyone but Johnston singing those songs.

• Advertisement

was Back in Black written before Bon died? Would he have been due to sing over the tracks that are on the album? Or did the album take shape around Brian's vocal style?

off topic, sorry...

anyways, I'd be open to hearing some new AIC, and if it's good, it'll be good...

Back in Black was released 3 months after Bon Scots death, so Id imagine it was at the latter stages of writing when he passed away. Actually, I read in a recent AC/DC biography that when Bon Scot was being praised for the success Highway to Hell received, he often answered, "wait till you see what we have lined up next!".

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I wish they'd come back to ireland........I dont mind what singer they have as long as they tour.the new guy sounds decent enough though.

seachto7 wrote: »
    I still can' t understand how AC/DC are getting away with their change of singer. No one seems to be slating them...:confused:

Prob because this is an Alice In Chains thread:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Aye, with a Stone Temple Pilots album out next year, coupled with new material by Pearl Jam and AIC, 2009 could be a mini 1991! :D

*crosses fingers*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

One of the things I remember about that show was that Stayley said right from the outset, "Dublin, you give us a show and we'll give you a show!".At various stages throughoutout the gig the stage was swamped by fans and stagedivers while the band played on regardless. The security guards didnt know what the f@ck was happening. Stayley stood motionless centre stage, while Cantrell looked a tad uncomfortable with the preceeedings. Layne Stayleys menacing stance was only broken when some chancer decided to help himself to a swig of the frontmans bottle of JD. Que Layne Stayley, "Hey Jack, don't fcuk with my Jack!".The SFX was a dump of a venue but Ive seen some great gigs there, Kings X in 1990, Queensryche in 1991, AIC in 1993, The Black Crowes, Suede, Stone Temple Pilots in 1994 and Skunk Anansie and Iron Maiden in 1995. Great days!

Agreed.....saw smashing pumpkins do 3 hours there.........you were front and centre stage even if you were at the back. The Ambassador(if it's still going) is similar..

...I wouldn't go to Alice In Chains, I haven't forgiven AC/DC.......Pantera was a hair band before Big Phil'.....blah...blah....blah.....

Whatever happened to the SFX, did they tear it down or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

I know this thread is about Will DuVall but I just came across this tribute video to Layne -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfFtyOpwQkQ

Don't get me wrong, I hear the new guy is really good and I will be buying the album when its out in the summer.
    I found this video really touching anyways. I love AIC and Layne has the same birthday as me :)
    In the interviews you can see he had these two sides - the hardcore rock star and the troubled soul. He really is a loss to the Rock/Metal world and I find it so sad geniuses like him can get so ****ed up from drugs. I can honestly say I'm never gonna try the stuff, if thats the one thing I learn from this man, I'l be happy.

RIP Layne - You'l never be forgotten.

I can honestly say I'm never gonna try the stuff, if thats the one thing I learn from this man, I'l be happy.

RIP Layne - You'l never be forgotten.

Read the last interview he ever did and you will never want to even talk about drugs again.

Can you paste a copy of this interview? Id love to read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

All you need to do is watch the Unplugged video to see how bad he was, years before his death. He was ****ed back then. Mark Lanegan was in a similar way when Screaming Trees appeared on Later around the same time (one of the videos is on the Later Louder DVD), skeletal face with pasty white skin, drugs are bad mmmmkay?

Drugs are indeed bad, but they gave some people something to sing about, including Layne (Hate to Feel, Angry Chair etc... ). Not forgetting some of his best work with Mad Season. Above is a great album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 T3h-Slayer

Alice in chains is just great!!! and their unplugged are awesome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Yeah, went to that gig last night anyway.

Jerry is as tight as f*ck live, new singer is very good but im afraid the venue was seating and the aussie crowds dont really go as mental as the Irish so it whole thing seemed abit tame.

There are quite a few clips from the soundwave festival on youtube. Feck it, I'd defo go to see them anyways if they make it over these parts.
    It's not Layne.Grand job.Who is anyone to say the rest of the band can't get on with their lives and play?
    It comes across that there's quite a few posters on the net who would rather run Jerry's life for him to suit themselves....
    "He can't call it AIC etc etc" What? Says who? Some 15 yr old?
    Then, you can't call it AC/DC if that's the case etc etc. People forget Mike Inez is/was a replacement too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

buck65 wrote: »
    Its not AIC without... o sorry Doctor J
    but it's not though. Saley as AIC in my eyes i'd have no inerest in this band now. Saw AiC waay back in the Point supporting Megadeth 1990?. Staley poured his heart out in those songs and became them that is why I think now they are just another band.

+1

It aint the same - could be good, great, or who knows, even better; but it aint the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 brenchman

am gonna see them wit metallica this summer and if hear gob****es chanting laynes name like they chanted dimebags name at the down gig i will get quite angry and wet my pants with rage, poor duvall he's got big shoes to fill and he does this quiet well indeed. so ROCK ON A.I.C. and shut the f**k up anyone who dares chant layne.

Staley's last Interview ever made
    http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1470138/20030225/alice_in_chains.jhtml

Rare Interview from 1996

Layne Staley interviewed by Chris Hazard of the band Funhouse. And, the story behind this video clip is as follows : Layne and Chris were hanging out, and somehow Chris was appointed as the Interviewer, and, Layne and he did what any young rock stars would do before a filmed interview....smoke 2 big fatties together. As you can see, Layne and Chris are clearly baked out of their minds. Please note that Jerry Cantrell plays the role of the straight man ( he didn't get high for the interview) Hence, he's still alive. Bonghits kill? Perhaps? - Interview for MetalHead Magazine, Directed by Modi.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭missannik

^ ^ ^ That youtube video is circa 1991... it's clearly from the Facelift era.

As for Layne's last interview, it really is a pile of steaming ****... and I wouldn't trust Rubio's account that it is real. Who the hell would quote their own song lyrics in an interview that they wrote some 10 years prior?! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭The Engineer

I remember paying over the odds for her book and boy was I sorry! It was pathetic!
    missannik wrote: »
    I wouldn't trust Rubio's account that it is real

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Not crazy about Duvall, I couldn't make it to the gig but in all the footage I saw, it just sounded like he was ripping off Layne's vocal style, or maybe too afraid to stray away from it in case fans didn't like something even slightly different. Not really sure who to blame if that was the case. :confused: Fair fecks to him for trying anyway, hard shoes to fill!
    As uncool as it may be to say, it just isn't the same band for me. I may not have been of gig attending age when they were around in their heyday(being born in 1991 sucked) but I have everything they ever released and consider myself a pretty huge fan, them having been my favourite band for a long, long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭The Engineer

Staley had an amazing voice, and there was something really enigmatic about him too! Although it's been a while since I've listened to any AIC albums, I do tend to listen to some of their b-sides and rarities from time to time. Mad Season "Above" has been in my CD tray of my car for as long as I can remember

Regarding Duvall and everyone else that tries to sing like Layne, I think Eddie Vedder's tribute, "4/20/02", says alot:

So all you fools
    Who sing just like him
    Feel free to do so now
    Cuz he's dead

Using, using, using
    The using takes toll
    Isolation
    Just so happy to be one
    Sad to, sad to think
    Sad to think of him more

Lonesome friend, we all knew
    Always hoped you'd pull through

No blame, no blame
    No blame, it could be you
    Using, you can't grow old using

So sing just like him, ****ers
    It won't offend him
    Just me
    Because he's dead

It must be really tough to try and replace a band member that dies, but if the band are to progress then the new member has to bring their own talents to the forefront. I'm thinking of Brian Johnston replacing Bon Scott in AC/DC, for example - Bon Scott was a phenomenal front man, one of the best ever, but Brian Johnston has his own gruff growl and AC/DC continued to build on it and grow. The big difference between AIC and AC/DC is that AIC were practically a non-entity by the time Staley died, whereas AC/DC were in fully-fledged world domination mode releasing "Highway to Hell" with Scott in 1979, and "Back in Black" with Johnston just under a year later! Sad to say, but AIC were never that driven. Perhaps Jerry & Co. should have joined up under a new guise? "Susan in Hand-cuffs"? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

hmmm a bit wierd without layne staley...i wonder if any live chemistry is there......

friend of mine saw them play the sfx ......said it was the best gig he ever saw and he's seen a load of shows.....jaw dropping apparently....

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭hyn-zie

Why would you want Duvall to sing them his own way, i know if i went to a gig and heard someone trying to perform a song differently to known the original i'd be like wtf??? seriously he is a great replacement, im a big layne fan and always will be and think Duvall is a really good singer! Bring on the summer with there new album!!!

• Advertisement

I've seen AIC with DuVall twice and I never noticed him trying to sing like Layne :confused:

Advertisement