Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Help) picking a router for Upc Business package

Options
  • 20-01-2009 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hello there,

I have a question regarding UPC business broadband. First of all in about 2 or 3 days i'm getting my connection set up and I would whant to ask you if you can help me pick a router that will work like a charm.I will be using it for my laptop,xbox360 and my main PC.

I already have a Linksys WRT54GL v1.1.But i wonder will it do me or there is something better on the market.

I would be thankful for your replies.

Regards Ion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Keep your WRT54GL router and then flash it with an alternative, open source firmware like DD-WRT or Polarcloud Tomato. You can find loads of info on Google. Turns the Linksys box into a solid piece of kit which should do everything you need!

HTH :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ion564

Thanks Kensington. What will you say about the upc 20Mb business package http://www.upc.ie/b2b/sme/
    Will it be suitable for Downloading, video streaming and gaming

Dunno about their business package, but I've their residential 20Mbps package and it's feckin fast!!! Always get around 20Mbps, even in the evenings, the PS3 online is pretty good over it. It has it's hissy fit moments now and then (albeit very rarely) but other than that it's great.

What would you say if this is possible or not. I rent my house with one of my friend. He has ntl now for about 3 weeks and he lives downstairs, the house is detached(not an apartment) would you think if its possible to get 2 diferent conections one residental and my one business on the same line.

Yes, you can have as many cable modems in your house as you're willing to pay for! Technically, everyone on your street shares the same, single cable line, it's not like DSL broadband through your phoneline where you can only use one modem at a time. Would it not be better to just get the business line in though and then split the costs?

• Advertisement

The only reason I'm getting the 20 mb business package is because of the contention 5:1. Yes know what you are saying about getting the broadband and then split the prices in two but the only reason im getting it is because im a pro gamer need good connection to play online,downloading a lot and video streaming.

Kinsgton can you go to www.speedtest.net and show me your test i just whant to speed you are getting in the morning.

Thanks for your reply.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

ion564 wrote: »
    The only reason I'm getting the 20 mb business package is because of the contention 5:1. Yes know what you are saying about getting the broadband and then split the prices in two but the only reason im getting it is because im a pro gamer need good connection to play online,downloading a lot and video streaming.

Kinsgton can you go to www.speedtest.net and show me your test i just whant to speed you are getting in the morning.

Thanks for your reply.

Is there guarantee from them that you will actually get that contention rate? They never seem willing to give any information at all on their contention rates.

I emailed them ages ago asking what the contention rate on their various packages were - needless to say I am still waiting on their reply!

dub45 wrote: »
    Is there guarantee from them that you will actually get that contention rate? They never seem willing to give any information at all on their contention rates.

I emailed them ages ago asking what the contention rate on their various packages were - needless to say I am still waiting on their reply!

I know what you are saying Dub, but before choosing them I had to do a lot of research on which internet provider will suit me the best and have my area covered and Upc were the only ones i found the best.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

ion564 wrote: »
    I know what you are saying Dub, but before choosing them I had to do a lot of research on which internet provider will suit me the best and have my area covered and Upc were the only ones i found the best.

Unfortunately from reading the various upc threads on here it really seems to me that you are entering a lottery in choosing them - it obviously is wonderful for some lucky people and dire for others.

And yesterday I 'endured' their latest process for a billing inquiry - it took me at least 7 minutes of listening to a headmasterish voice giving all the faqs on billing before I finally got on to a queue to a human.

Even if they were giving uncontended 100Mb for a euro a month I really would have to think long and hard before having any additional dealings with them beyond the basic tv service:mad: They simply do not want to provide any customer service as far as I can see and make it very obvous.

My mate downstairs has residental 10mb package and he says he has no probs. But im getting a business package in a day or so. The business customer service is wonderful i never had to whait in their que.Lets hope everything will be ok.

Thank you for the information you told me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

not a hijack or anything ,
    is this the router that you guys are talking about ?
    http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1136421

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    not a hijack or anything ,
    is this the router that you guys are talking about ?
    http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1136421

Yes this is the exact model i have. Mate, can you help me. I am not sure how to flash it so it will give me the right ammount of speed for everything e.g gaming,video streaming,torrents etc...

That's the one. To flash it:

Go to http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato#readme.
    Midway down the page, you'll see "Download" then "Firmware", click the first download link. When you download the file, open it up in WinZip or 7-Zip, and extract the "WRT54G_WRT54GL.bin" file. Then log into your Linksys router, go to the firmware upgrade section and select that file as the updated firmware. Just let it do it's thing after that, takes about 5 minutes to flash.

Only upgrade through a wired connection, NOT over wireless. And don't plug out the router until it's finished.

Kensington wrote: »
    That's the one. To flash it:

Go to http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato#readme.
    Midway down the page, you'll see "Download" then "Firmware", click the first download link. When you download the file, open it up in WinZip or 7-Zip, and extract the "WRT54G_WRT54GL.bin" file. Then log into your Linksys router, go to the firmware upgrade section and select that file as the updated firmware. Just let it do it's thing after that, takes about 5 minutes to flash.

Only upgrade through a wired connection, NOT over wireless. And don't plug out the router until it's finished.

Kensington thanks a lot, I really needed that info. Thank you again.

Advertisement