Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Classes (merged)

Options
  • 24-04-2008 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

quick question - does anyone know where I can learn Irish as an absolute beginner?

I'm currently doing a course in Arus nGael, but I'm not happy with the course since they don't really teach grammar, and the class size is massive, so progress is very, very slow...So I'm frustrated.

I've looked at intensive courses in Connemara, but they're either for kids, run for 6 weeks or longer (not possible since I work fulltime) or you have to have 2-3 years of Irish already - but where do I learn it?

Any ideas and suggestions appreciated.

Cheers
    galah

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 triblex

I am in that class as well. I suppose you have to thru that one and to be on an intermediate level after that. once you r on interm level, you have more oppotunities and options.
    does it make sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

The VEC runs classes, not sure in what centre. My Polish friend went to them and I saw the notes, they won't be starting again until Sept. In some school but not sure where. Best of luck! If all else fails come back to me, I'm always happy to help!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

why do you want to learn irish? so you can be able to have a conversation with no one?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The VEC runs classes, not sure in what centre. My Polish friend went to them and I saw the notes, ...

Notes are a good sign.

I did the Arus n Gael beginners course at the start of the year: during the first class, I came very close to asking the guy if I had the wrong room, and had perhaps stumbled into a the basics (ie beginners +1) class by accident.

No handouts. No text book. No recommended reading. No suggestion to get a dictionary. No teaching plan. No course outline. No asking what the students wanted to learn from the course. No desks for us to use while writing things down. The only nice things I can say is that the room was heated, we all had chairs, and the guy was willing to be interrupted with questions.

All in all, not a recommended way to invest 100-eruos, in my humble opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

GMIT do one, I inquired about it a few months ago, I think the next one starts in September,
    it's not completely for beginners but looks basic enough:

http://www.gmit.ie/lifelong-learning/lifelong-learning-programmes/lifelonglearning-languages/irish-conversational.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

DRakE wrote: »
    why do you want to learn irish? so you can be able to have a conversation with no one?

funny, but the boyfriend speaks it, and so do all his mates.

Also, it's a nice way of getting closer to the identity of this country, even if some people would rather forget all about it.

Also, it's a very beautiful language.

But I don't have to justify myself, really.

Thanks for all your answers - I'll keep looking, and post here if I find out anything else ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Buddy74

With the winter months just around the corner I intend on doing some or at least one course. Where is the best in someone experience to learn Irish. Please give me some ideas or locations. I know Aras na Gael conducts some and I'm leaning towards attending there unless someone else knows of a better place.

I've not talked irish properly since Inter cert (yes that long ago) having failed miserable in the leaving.

Thanks for all the feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Yeah I was looking for somewhere.. but the language center doesn't do it :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

GMIT have it on their eveing course prospectus.
    Irish (Conversational) 1

Course Code: SL13171

Course Duration:
    One evening per week (Wednesday) for 10 weeks from 7.30 p.m.- 9.30 p.m.
    Course Fee: €95.00

Course Lecturer: Ms. Eimear Ni Fhatharta

For your convenience, a Postal Application can be downloaded

Course automatically begins on: Wednesday, 24th September, 2008 unless you are notified otherwise.

More info here

Try the diploma in Irish at the uni if you are really dedicated. €2k total.

The same old advice stands though, watch a bit of TG4 each night to bring back some of the bits you think you have forgotten. Ros Na Rún or the Nuacht or whatever.

• Advertisement

Courses are a big investment, of both time and money.

I would suggest asking the institutions you're considering about the policies and procedures they have: Are course objectives set and adhered to? What learning resources are provided to students? Are tutors trained in adult-education methods? Do students complete course evaluations - and what are the results?

I did a course at Arus na Gael last year, and for the money was not impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

best thing to do is just go drinking in the bar at club aras na geal..

after a while you get used to talking the lingo.. i never did Irish in school (wasn't born here) but knew people that drank there and was a regular for long enough, you'd be surprised how quick you pick it up..
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I know they do conversational irish classes in Arus na Gael over the winter at some stage. i was thinking of doing these. but then my irish isnt that bad at all, like when my connemara friends speak as gaeilge i can understand them perfectly, and i have munster irish, so i just really need to get more confidence with actually speaking it myself!!

The diploma in NUIG is ok, bit of everything in it, not sure if you just want conversational irish that it might fit your requirements, they sort of cover everything, or at least they used to!!

I auppose it very much depends on your level of irish starting off. Try the VEC also, i'm sure they must offer something in this line also.

Good luck!!

JustMary wrote: »
    Courses are a big investment, of both time and money.

I would suggest asking the institutions you're considering about the policies and procedures they have: Are course objectives set and adhered to? What learning resources are provided to students? Are tutors trained in adult-education methods? Do students complete course evaluations - and what are the results?

I did a course at Arus na Gael last year, and for the money was not impressed.

I second that. I did the same, and was not impressed at all - poor standard of teaching, no reading material, no explanations - I probably would have learned more watching Sponge Bob on TG4 (if I had time for daytime tele...).

I want to learn Irish Not sure what the deal is in Aras na Gael because I can't understand their bebo site but I've heard they do classes. Does anyone know if this is correct? I'm not too keen on just hanging out there trying to speak Irish to people with my limited knowledge.

Does anyone have any recommendations for classes? If anyone with a native tongue is interested in doing some conversation classes with me then send me a pm. I can offer money or maths classes in exchange or, preferably, a few pints in the pub and some poor conversation :P

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Nuggles

According to their bebo site every Wednesday night in Áras na nGael is beginners night, where you get the chance to use your cúpla focail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

TristanPeter did classes down there a couple of years ago... I assume they still run them... maybe just drop in and ask them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I am fairly sure the next session of classes starts soon, maybe next week.
    They run for about 10 weeks, usually on a Mon or Tue eve.
    Depending on demand there are about 3 or 4 levels.
    Fairly reasonable I think, only about 100 or 150 for the session.
    There is also a conversation night during the week but this is not as formal

dafunk wrote: »
    I want to learn Irish Not sure what the deal is in Aras na Gael because I can't understand their bebo site but I've heard they do classes. Does anyone know if this is correct? I'm not too keen on just hanging out there trying to speak Irish to people with my limited knowledge.

Does anyone have any recommendations for classes? If anyone with a native tongue is interested in doing some conversation classes with me then send me a pm. I can offer money or maths classes in exchange or, preferably, a few pints in the pub and some poor conversation :P

If you have a car, take the classes in Spiddeal! They're cheap (80 Euros for 15 weeks, I kid you not), they're fun, and you learn an awful lot! Only drawback is having to drive to Spiddeal, but you get over that ;-)

Or do the ones in NUIG, they have beginners, too. A bit more expensive, but way more professional that Aras na Gael.

I personally cannot recommend the classes in Aras na Gael, I found them really annoying, teacher was unprepared and totally disorganised, too many people in the class (and loads of foreigners who struggled with English first of all - how you expect to learn Irish if you don't have a grasp of English is beyond me...and I'm a foreigner too, so I'm allowed to say it ;-)), and I didn't learn a thing cause the pace was too slow (in week 4, we were still recapping the 'Is maith liom ...' concept, which we discussed in week 1, week 2, and week 3 as well) Enough to drive anyone crazy.

Rant over...;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭leebee77

galah wrote: »
    If you have a car, take the classes in Spiddeal! They're cheap (80 Euros for 15 weeks, I kid you not), they're fun, and you learn an awful lot! Only drawback is having to drive to Spiddeal, but you get over that ;-)

Or do the ones in NUIG, they have beginners, too. A bit more expensive, but way more professional that Aras na Gael.

I personally cannot recommend the classes in Aras na Gael, I found them really annoying, teacher was unprepared and totally disorganised, too many people in the class (and loads of foreigners who struggled with English first of all - how you expect to learn Irish if you don't have a grasp of English is beyond me...and I'm a foreigner too, so I'm allowed to say it ;-)), and I didn't learn a thing cause the pace was too slow (in week 4, we were still recapping the 'Is maith liom ...' concept, which we discussed in week 1, week 2, and week 3 as well) Enough to drive anyone crazy.

Rant over...;-)

Hey there..Do you have any details on classes in Spiddeal as im looking for lessons also as have just moved to Inverin (dont know how to spell it in Irish...yet! Dont want the scary man from another thread having a go at me!)
    Tapadh leibh!!

• Advertisement

galah wrote: »
    I personally cannot recommend the classes in Aras na Gael, I found them really annoying, teacher was unprepared and totally disorganised, too many people in the class (and loads of foreigners who struggled with English first of all .... and I didn't learn a thing cause the pace was too slow (in week 4, we were still recapping the 'Is maith liom ...' concept, which we discussed in week 1, week 2, and week 3 as well)

I totally agree with this, except that in my case I didn't learn a thing 'cos the pace was too fast!

They say that "beginners" is only for people with absolutely no background, but my class had a bunch of people who were busy remembering all the things they'd forgotten from school.

The tutor was disorganised, there were no notes or recommended textbook or dictionary, and no expectation that we'd want such thing. The week that we did jobs and work, he went around the room asking people what they did, and then gave out along the lines of "why can't people have normal jobs like teacher or nurse" because he didn't know the translation for jobs like "systems accountant" or "process operator".

The classroom has chairs, but no tables, so taking notes was about balancing on your knee, and I found it totally impossible to get the Irish word, a representation of the pronunciation (which the tutor didn't help with) and the meaning before he'd moved on to something else.

There was also an expectation that everyone had learned a foreign language before, so was familiar with learning sets of verbs in different tenses, and other similar things that you don't become aware of in learning your first language.

leebee77 wrote: »
    Hey there..Do you have any details on classes in Spiddeal as im looking for lessons also as have just moved to Inverin (dont know how to spell it in Irish...yet! Dont want the scary man from another thread having a go at me!)
    Tapadh leibh!!

I do - at home...Will look for the number and send you a PM! ;-)

Will you send to me too please? Can't find the Spiddal crowd on the net, can only find these guys:
    http://www.gaelchultur.com/index.php

They have classes in knocknacarra but are quite pricey - 240 quid for 12 weeks, seems expensive unless the class is very small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭GrayD

Hey all,
    Does anyone know if there is such thing as Irish lessons for adults anywhere.

I obviously did Irish in school so I'm not a total beginner but its been about 6-7 years now since I spoke it with any regularity in school.

I really would like to be more fluent or at least be capable of conversation.

I heard Aras Na nGael offered courses but I can't find any info on what or who they are?

Its only after travelling and meeting lots of people from other cultures you start to realise how great it is to be able to speak your own language.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah, the Arus is best for it in my opinion.
    www.bebo.com/Arus-na-nGael

or

Club Árus na nGael
    45 Sráid Doiminic
    Gaillimh
    conradh@bradan.iol.ie
    091 567824

See this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055467422

Apparently there is a good place in Spiddal but I have yet to find out what the name is and they're not on the net. Does anyone know who these guys are?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 looney-toone

Dia dhuit op,

I give private tuition to adults in all aspects of the irish language from oral to written.

In the first class I asses what stage you are at and what you need most help with.

If your interested i can pm you my number and we can talk more.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 looney-toone

Dia dhuit op,

I give private tuition to adults in all aspects of the irish language from oral to written.

In the first class I asses what stage you are at and what you need most help with.

If your interested i can pm you my number and we can talk more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Gaillimh1990

Go to the conradh na gaeilge website and ring the galway brance - they would have all the info that you would need!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭yourmano

Does anyone know of anywhere that runs an Irish course to enable me to sit the Leaving Cert next year? I did ordinary & after a recent interview am adamant it was the only thing that held me back. For the sake of it I'll sit it again. I got an A2 in ordinary. My sister seems able to it & I know I'm more organised than she is. I'd prefer a course without a load of young Leaving Cert canditates, more people like myself.

Advertisement