Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Classes (merged)

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭jayoo

Hi everyone,

just wondering if anyone knows of any evening courses that teach irish in the galway city area??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I heard talk of Saturday morning classes in the social space at 24 Middle St. - http://www.galwayspace.org/ - sure no harm to call in and ask.

If you want a bit of midweek chat - call in to the bar of Arus na Gael on Dominic St. on Wed evening around 2130 or so. They are a friendly informal group and happy to teach you stuff too. Spoken Irish is a lot more important anyway in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

As far as I know Arus na G still do courses, if you begin in Sept there are loads of courses including G.C.C. and Colaiste na Coirbe.

Hiya eeryone, very helpful thread.:)
    I am very interested in learning irish, however at the moment my work timetable is very very restrictive and changes on a weekly basis.

so i am just wondering if anyone could recommend prehaps some books which i could buy, which would allow me to practice my grammer and get a bita confidence with me verbs:pac:.

of course book learning can only get you so far but i would feel much more confident if i was able to do a bit of home learning first.

Also can anyone advise me where i can pick up an irish newspaper:confused: as this would give me a daily chance to try and practice.

at the moment i am just aiming to learn at a casual basis, and then later look into courses.:)

:confused::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Toft
    TangoTwit

I tried lessons in the spirit centre in the city centre, the fees were voilitiry donations but the classes were disorganized and the teacher seemly had no lesson plan and often appeared to be at a total loss when asked a question, also she had no confidence so after a few weeks a big chunk of each class was taken up in reassuring her that she was doing a great job. but that was a while ago so if they're still going on they may have improved.

sounds good Toft:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

jayoo wrote: »
    Also can anyone advise me where i can pick up an irish newspaper:confused: as this would give me a daily chance to try and practice.

Don't know that I've every seen any newspapers: try TG4 perhaps, that will help you start to get your ear around the language (in which words sound very different to how they look to an English-speaker!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Foinse is widely available. Easons etc. Lá is a bit trickier to get through but is out every day, as the name suggests! Best of luck!

Advertisement