Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting the grant

Options
  • 21-01-2009 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

hello just a quick question i am a dell worker who is thinking off going back to college when we are left go so i have a question , my wife and myself earned about 50,000 last year will this disqualify me from the grant as if it does i will find it very hard to go thanks .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭raviravi

Yes it will as far as i am aware unless they make exceptions for yourselves in Dell, perhaps you could get your Union Official to see if exceptions can be made for people like yourself who are looking at changing careers as a result of being laid off. You should also check out www.studentfinance.ie and it will give you info on what is available and check out your local authority / county council and look under their higher education grants section and check out the limits etc. I am assuming you are over 23 and if so you should be making your CAO application before 1st February as most colleges have an interview process in place for mature students so wherever you are thinking of going you should contact the Mature Student Support Officer there and they will give you all the info you need. Good luck with whatever you decide.

If you go from a full-time job to not working, your income will be taken as 0 when assessed under a 'change in circumstances', so yes you may indeed be eligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Could be wrong but are all mature students not elligible for the grant on returnung to full time education as long as they are "bettering" themselves? I.E already have a cert and now wants to go for a degree etc..

Nope, but all mature students who are eligible for the grant receive the 'non-adjacant' rate which is the the larger of the two rates, so that's around €3,000 p.a.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭robert18

contacted the vec today and i will be able to get the grant all i have to do now is apply ,which makes me ask another question ,i have 2 main hobbies in life excercising and messing with computers ,now i want to apply for either the sports science out in ul or the computer networking course in lit but was reading the ul website which states that mature students applying to ul don't go through th CAO process but apply directly to the university is this true and if so do i just use the CAO fot the lit course thanks .

• Advertisement
Advertisement