Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB - Nightmare

Options
  • 21-01-2009 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Its crazy that this day and age that we dont have a Perlico type operator in the energy market to compete with the ESB. Im fed up receiving estimated bills even though I rang them in advance of every billing period with an accurate meter reading. Also because they have a monopoly in the residential electricity market they can charge what they like.

OPEN OUR ENERGY MARKET NOW!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Definitely, we need energy suppliers sending us junk mail, junk faxes and advertising all over the place offering questionable deals :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭cooperla

I'll add my name to the list.

Despite trying to be energy efficient in my flat, I'm still shocked every time I get an ESB bill in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

boys esb may seem bad but you should seen what selling off of the state owned electricty did to prices they sky rocked, at least with government in place theirs some price control.
    Lets not forgot also how much of our energy is imported and therefore paid for at higher prices, our neighbours elecrtricy costs are no cheaper
    I agree with the estimates been a bit off to be honest but cutting down on visits has to be done but surely they could work off a better formula from previous visits.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

cooperla wrote: »
    I'll add my name to the list.

Despite trying to be energy efficient in my flat, I'm still shocked every time I get an ESB bill in the post.

must...resist...urge...to...make...stupid...joke...about...being...shocked!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭GUIGuy

Irish electricity prices(not energy) are VERY expensive compared to the rest of the EU. For the facts see page 23 of the 2008 report:
    http://www.sei.ie/Publications/Statistics_Publications/EPSSU_Publications/Understanding_Electricity_and_Gas_Prices/Understanding%20Electricity%20and%20Gas%20Prices.pdf

To summarize domestic Irish prices range from 198% to 105% of average prices. The 198% is if you use less than 1000kWh and decreases to 105% if you use greater than 15000kWh. But for an average customer would range 120 to 130% of average EU price. So good ol' ESB is rather expensive.

Eirtricity used to supply domestic customers but they retreated back to the business market about 3 years ago:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Ste.phen wrote: »
    Definitely, we need energy suppliers sending us junk mail, junk faxes and advertising all over the place offering questionable deals :)

We get enough of that from the E.S.B. Every single bill they send contains some expensive booklet on how to pay, or how Mrs McCarthy from Ennis won a new Aygo. Way to blow all that money from the price increases guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I'm fairly sure airtricity are again supplying to the domestic market.

See http://www.airtricity.ie/ireland/switch_to_airtricity/switch_now/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Its crazy that this day and age that we dont have a Perlico type operator in the energy market to compete with the ESB. Im fed up receiving estimated bills even though I rang them in advance of every billing period with an accurate meter reading. Also because they have a monopoly in the residential electricity market they can charge what they like.

Why don't you give them the meter reading online instead of ringing them? They don't seem to ignore you when you do that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm fairly sure airtricity are again supplying to the domestic market.

See http://www.airtricity.ie/ireland/switch_to_airtricity/switch_now/

they are but there are no saving benefits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Cabaal wrote: »
    they are but there are no saving benefits

Correct. Therefore people should stop complaining about ESB prices and concentrate on Energy or Electricity prices if they really feel they have to bitch about something. Is it the fact that you pay for electricity after you've used it, or got the benefit from it, that irks people as there don't seem to be many threads on Bread costs, beer costs, soap costs etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Correct. Therefore people should stop complaining about ESB prices and concentrate on Energy or Electricity prices if they really feel they have to bitch about something. Is it the fact that you pay for electricity after you've used it, or got the benefit from it, that irks people as there don't seem to be many threads on Bread costs, beer costs, soap costs etc.

It's a lot easier to make these on the cheap yourself than to make your electricity.

Telling people to stop complaining about the ESB is the same as Cowen telling us to shut up about the economy - not going to happen.

As the ESB is a much maligned organisation, perhaps it should spill the beans and let us all know why it should not be so.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

If I were faced with this situation I would read the meter, do the cost calculation and pay them the amount (allowing for any outstanding charges or credits).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Use this in future: Submit a reading online

Is phone meter submitting able to handle pre bill reads? I know online is fine before or after the bill date, but i taught phone was only after a 'we missed you card' or an estimated bill was received, this could be the reason you still received estimated bills because you were submitting in advance.

Also and easy way to submit readings, see and pay bills and usage charts etc is to register online with Customer supply. Can opt for e-billing now since last year.
    Register Your Account HERE

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

By law don't they have to give you 2 out of your 6 yearly bills as exact readings so the max per 12 months that is estimated is 4 bills?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

davton wrote: »
    Also and easy way to submit readings, see and pay bills and usage charts etc is to register online with Customer supply. Can opt for e-billing now since last year.
    Register Your Account HERE

Didn;t know they did on-line a/c management, thanks for that, :)
    its basic but still handy have

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Cabaal wrote: »
    Didn;t know they did on-line a/c management, thanks for that, :)
    its basic but still handy have

Yes, they launched lasted October or so. I find it quite handy, the paperless billing is always a bonus, and the bar chart gives an easy indication of usage from month to month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

jonny24ie wrote: »
    By law don't they have to give you 2 out of your 6 yearly bills as exact readings so the max per 12 months that is estimated is 4 bills?

No. :confused:
    They have a cost reduction policy of estimating 2 bills at least each year but a bill could be estimated for years. Remember there are thousands of properties where they can't get access to the meters no matter how often they call or write.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

No. :confused:
    They have a cost reduction policy of estimating 2 bills at least each year but a bill could be estimated for years. Remember there are thousands of properties where they can't get access to the meters no matter how often they call or write.

Slightly OT (to do with Bord Gais) but I lived in the same rented house for 5 years and the gas meter was only read twice and a reminder slip put thro the letterbox once.

This might interest people, cheap and easy way to monitor esb usage and really gives you an idea of what wastes power in your house

http://www.cabaal.org/log/2008/07/energy-monitoring.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Dundalk Daily

Thanks guys didnt know I could submit meter reading online. They are actually advertising this on the radio at the moment. Still the prices are so so high.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 DeirdreD

+1

And how come ESB got a 3.5% pay increase sanctioned a few weeks ago when the rest of the country has to really pull in the belts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

The electricity domestic market is open. Airtricity and Bord Gais Energy SUpply currenlty supply domestic customers.

The issue with bills being estimated is not going to change if you change from ESB Customer supply to another supplier - meter readings are done by ESB networks - a separate entity ringfenced from ESB's supply business.

Advertisement