Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic conversion, who is better.

• 21-01-2009 1:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi all.

I am now thinking of converting my attic to make an extra bedroom and possibly an ensuite. I can complete about 60% of the work myself but I am considering making this into a dormer construction to provide more headroom. Who would be better to advise me about this, an engineer or an architect? Also would anybody have any recomendations, names for either in the Dublin area. I am aware that a dormer construction will need planning but if I am to complete this project myself would outline construction and exterior finish drawings be enough to submit for approval.

PMs are welcome.
    Regards D.

Rovers Are Going Home 2009.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Either one would suffice . In either case look for someone with plenty of relevant experience prepared to offer plenty of references

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I'd agree, either will do. Have you considered an Architectural Technician?

If your existing attic is formed by prefabricated trusses, then you will require a Structural Engineer to calculate the loads and new timber sizes.

Planning permission last 5 years, so submit as detailed drawings as possible. I'm sure you won't take 5 years to carry out the works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 joxer1

Thanks for the good advise lads. Can I just tell you a bit about the house and any advise is welcome. I just dont want to do work that is not necessary, such as adding steels when strengthening of beams would have done. I dont want to go into this project blind either.
    House is about 50 years old.Roof type is a rafter and purlin style ( purlins about 9"x4" running left to right across) with 4.5"x1.5" celing rafters @ 14" centre to centre.
    Also could anyone recommend an engineer or architect that does this sort of thing.

Thanks again,
    D.

Advertisement