Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was Worf gay?

Options
  • 21-01-2009 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭

Never watched Ds9 intensively but his relationship with Jadzia, was he in love with her or the trill who was male or both? It throws up the red dwarf connundrum when rimmer turns himself into Kochanski and Lister refuses to have sex with him/her.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Never watched Ds9 intensively but his relationship with Jadzia, was he in love with her or the trill who was male or both? It throws up the red dwarf connundrum when rimmer turns himself into Kochanski and Lister refuses to have sex with him/her.

He had a wife, Jadzia and a son by Keyler (spelling).

So, no. Also he didn't get with Ezri, which was the next Dax, he loved Jadzia, no-one else.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,513 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Being a Klingon he would like strong women, which is what Jadzia was, in part, due to the various male memories/traits/experiances from the symbiont

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

I'd imagine that the Klingon homeworld would fall under the category of "Worst places to grow up gay." Much like Manchester or some other city full of scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

IvySlayer wrote: »
    He had a wife, Jadzia and a son by Keyler (spelling).

So, no. Also he didn't get with Ezri, which was the next Dax, he loved Jadzia, no-one else.

He did screw ezri and den the jemhadar captured them both. Can't recall the name of the episode. Was the one were Worf's escape pod drifted into the badlands and Ezri got a runabout from DS9 with a five finger discount and went skidadlin after him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Who said the symbiont was male anyway?

IIRC they were kinda sexless creatures

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

kevmy wrote: »
    Who said the symbiont was male anyway?

IIRC they were kinda sexless creatures

I think people are making the presumption based on the previous host. Now that you mention it I don't recall them ever putting a sex on them.

And to answer the OP, I very much doubt Worf was gay. Nothing in the show ever leaned that way. Come to think of it I don't recall ever seeing a camp / gay character in ST !!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

KTRIC wrote: »
    Come to think of it I don't recall ever seeing a camp / gay character in ST !!
    Cover story in GCN (Gay Community News) this month on that very topic.

There's never been a gay character in Star Trek. At least not insofar as they've shown on screen.

Closest they got to it was probably Jadzia Dax snogging the wife of a former (male) Dax host in an episode of DS9. But even then they made it fairly clear that the attraction was from their heterosexual time together - and not some icky lesbian love thang.

The article in GCN suggests the 'powers that be' really didn't want a gay character or storyline in Trek, despite some writers and cast members pushing for it at various times.

There was an episode of TNG written in the early years which dealt with homosexuality and the aids crisis, in typical Star Trek sci-fi fashion, but it got shelved quick-smart. The story was recently adapted into the latest episode of Star Trek New Voyages / Phase II.

And I really doubt Worf was gay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

I heard of a novel that reveals Lt. Hawke (was assimilated in First Contact) as being gay. He has a boyfriend too. Don't know the name of the novel.

Does anyone else remember the first ever appearance of the Trill. On TNG episode Joined? Crusher falls for a handsome Trill ambassador. In some accident or other the host dies and the symbiont is temporarily placed in Riker until another Trill host can be found. The next host turns out to be a woman and wants to continue the relationship with Crusher. Crusher doesn't dig it.
    So right from the start the whole sexual dilemma of being a joined Trill is a central topic of the species.

But clearly Archer and Tucker are gay as Elton John's specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

There was also an episode where a female ferengi was masquerading as male waiter in Quarks bar and had a crush on him. Jadzia noticed and asked if he told quark how he felt about him(thinking that he was a gay ferengi and not batting an eyelid). The fernegi then revealed that he was infact and a she.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

Simi wrote: »
    I'd imagine that the Klingon homeworld would fall under the category of "Worst places to grow up gay." Much like Manchester or some other city full of scum.

Hehe.

But Worf grew up on Gault, as the foster child of the Rozhenkos, and then on Earth, in Minsk!

RE the OP:

I never thought he was gay, tbh. Quite the opposite. His psychology was really cool, imo, and this, I think, explains the strangeness he had about his relationships.

As a Klingon raised by human parents, he inherits many human behavioural traits... Klingon's are always on about honour, but Worf has extra things to worry about. He is far more mannered than the native Klingons, and is as concerned with his integrity and respectability in human society as he is about the shame-honour-culture ethics of the Klingons. On the other hand, he is dogged about honouring the traditions of his paternity, perhaps moreso than native Klingons, and in a distinctly solemn, human style.

He has learned to be solitary, and is perhaps happiest in this state, although within it he still needs company. By and large, he restrains violent Klingon sexual urges because these are incompatible with his learned human psychology, and since control over himself is something he's had to exercise since an early age, the gay abandon (no pun intended) with which Klingons conduct themselves is closed off to him.

I think towards the end of TNG they were really trying to set Worf up with Troy. And to be honest, I think that was probably ideal for him, since she's an empath, and nothing at all like the other women in his life. That episode where he goes into the alternative universes where he's married to her, and then after coming back, there's something there. It seemed quite natural, actually, for their characters.

But it obviously didn't work out, because she blew him off for Will!

And I watch the rest of his character developments as unsuccessful attempts to live past Deanna. His relationship with Dax was amicable, but came off as a mistake - she wasn't what he wanted. He was unhappy with her - she didn't afford him room. (anyone remember the Risa episode. I empathized with him in that one! Wanted to murder everyone else...)

The marriage went ahead, but I think he was still forcing himself into it. But this unhappiness with Dax manifests as guilt when she dies. Living through the guilt and the pain, though, is easier for him in a way. But then Ezri arrives, and he doesn't know what to make of her. But what does happen is embarrassing for both of them.

And in Nemesis, when Riker and Troy are married, he's the one who gets ****-faced drunk on Romulan Ale (not that I like that movie, but still... that's an indicator for me that Riker and Troy's continued involvement leaves Worf in something of an emotional black hole.)

So I don't think he's gay. He's just a pretty complex character.

To be honest, I always thought Geordi unintentionally came off as a closet homosexual, who didn't know himself. His relationships always seemed awkward and colourless, as if he was doing what everyone around him did in the hopes that it would suddenly "click" for him, and he wouldn't have to pretend to himself that he really liked women that way. Further, his friendship with Data, from his perspective, always seemed strange to me.

It would be an interesting development for that character, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Thats a good assessment of Worfs character. I always thought he was someone who was an innovator in Klingon society precisely due to the depth of his character, despite the fact that he once tried to shoot the viewscreen when Q appeared on it.

I think Geordi was your typical asexual nerd in love with technology. Wesley was definitely gay, "ooh I love you captain Picard, you're my hero sir" etc.

Wesley was definitely gay, "ooh I love you captain Picard, you're my hero sir" etc.

+1:D

Harry Kim always had a bit of an air of "gayness" about him to IMO

Thats a good assessment of Worfs character. I always thought he was someone who was an innovator in Klingon society precisely due to the depth of his character, despite the fact that he once tried to shoot the viewscreen when Q appeared on it.

I think Geordi was your typical asexual nerd in love with technology. Wesley was definitely gay, "ooh I love you captain Picard, you're my hero sir" etc.
    +1:D

Harry Kim always had a bit of an air of "gayness" about him to IMO

I don't think Geordie, Wes or Harry seem gay at all. Nerdy yes, but not gay. They're too uninteresting to be gay!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Harry got with a fair few chicks during the course of Voyager.

He did turn Seven down though, so there's evidence either way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

There's no gay people in Star Trek for the same reason that there is no muslims i.e. the show is set in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Pigman II wrote: »
    There's no gay people in Star Trek for the same reason that there is no muslims i.e. the show is set in the future.

?

What about Dr. Bashir? Or his parents at least. They might be gay. I mean muslim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

Closest they got to it was probably Jadzia Dax snogging the wife of a former (male) Dax host in an episode of DS9. But even then they made it fairly clear that the attraction was from their heterosexual time together - and not some icky lesbian love thang.

A possessed Kes in Voyager Season 3 almost snogged 'his' wife...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

There doesn't seem to be many Catholics in Star Trek either:rolleyes:

Anyone reckon Nog could have been gay?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Goodshape wrote: »
    ?
    [Fanwank]The hormonal imbalance in the womb which causes homosexuality has been fixed.[/Fanwank]

• Advertisement

[Fanwank]The hormonal imbalance in the womb which causes homosexuality has been fixed.[/Fanwank]

:D

What about the Muslims? Or has all religion disappeared from humanity as they have become more enlightened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

I always thought Q was quite camp (but not Gay)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

What about Riker getting with the non gender specific alien.

Dodgey territory!

Advertisement