Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reducing breeze from Vent For Room with Gas Fire

Options
  • 21-01-2009 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm wondering is there any minimum size which a vent has to be, in a room where you have a gas fire? We have a gas fire in the back room, the vent is 10" x 6" and a massive gale blows in....

I know a closable vent cover isn't allowed either....

Has anyone any suggestions to try limit the amount of air-flow, especially on windy days/nights. I was thinking of mounting some ply-wood, say 2'' away from the vent on the outside, so a breeze can't come straight in...

Is there any other methods of doing this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

dublindilbert.

the internal vent covers and louvered and direct the air flow down when it enters the room.

you could try turning your vent cover upside down so the cool air is directed towards your ceiling instead of you floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

There is a vent available that prevents gusts blowing through ,costs a bit though. If I can find a link I'll edit this post.

Edit : http://www.stadium-ventilation.co.uk/vents/Vent_Bkhole1_.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

gsxr1 wrote: »
    dublindilbert.

the internal vent covers and louvered and direct the air flow down when it enters the room.

you could try turning your vent cover upside down so the cool air is directed towards your ceiling instead of you floor.

Thanks guys....

I've tried different louvered covers on both the inside and outside, but nothing seems to work.

I think its kind of amplified, cause its in a corner, and with hitting the extension would be forced into the vent..

Also 10" x 6" seems to be very big for an air vent, that's why i was thinking of replacing it with a smaller one and filling in around it.

I was wondering if there was anything i could get to regulate the air flow coming through the vent.

311 wrote: »
    There is a vent available that prevents gusts blowing through ,costs a bit though. If I can find a link I'll edit this post.

Edit : http://www.stadium-ventilation.co.uk/vents/Vent_Bkhole1_.htm

That's interesting......

I could make up an insert that shape to fit in between the current vent covers, as its a cavity block wall....

i have some 9mm MDF in the garage, which would be perfect... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Be careful with this type of ventilation ,when it's windy you actually get less air into the room.
    Wouldn't recommend this type of vent for a small room.

• Advertisement

311 wrote: »
    Be careful with this type of ventilation ,when it's windy you actually get less air into the room.
    Wouldn't recommend this type of vent for a small room.

Yep, i'll take that on board.

I wouldn't mind I never even use the gas fire... but if i was going to do something, I'd still like to have it right...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Do the fires not come with a manual specifying the minimum aperture of the air inlet? I seem to remember this with a room-fed boiler. 10" x 6" seems very big for a gas fire.

Fit a CO meter to the wall if you are adjusting the vents.

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Do the fires not come with a manual specifying the minimum aperture of the air inlet? I seem to remember this with a room-fed boiler. 10" x 6" seems very big for a gas fire.

Fit a CO meter to the wall if you are adjusting the vents.

The vent was originally fitted when there was a baxi boiler and gas fire installed (about 20 years ago)... the boiler has since been replaced and moved to the shed, and gas fire replaced with a modern one....

I took down the internal cover this evening, and the hole isn't as large as the vent, but still fairly big....

I decided to order this
    http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/commerce.cgi?cart_id=1232571377.29708&product=Stadium_Ventilators&pid=832

I'll just brick back up around the pipe on the outside...

Advertisement