Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drivetime coverage of Obama's inauguration

• 21-01-2009 6:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭

I can't believe how poor Drivetime's coverage of Obama's inauguration was.

Firstly, how much did it cost to ship Wilson et al out to a studio in Washington to have a panel discussion with rent-a-gob Terry Prone?

Surely it would have been better (and cheaper) to have a single correspondent on the ground and the panel back in Montrose?

BBC R4 had James Nachtwey and another correspondent on the ground reporting back to the studio and even Newstalk had a hack on the ground.

All Drivetime did was to air a few talking heads looking at a live TV feed. Did they really need to go to Washington to do that?

Let's hope they enjoyed the shopping.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Wilson spoke in "statesmanlike" tones for the full duration.

Totally different from her normal delivery.

Kept calling Washington "this town" a la the locals.

Didn't pull it off in my opinion.

Terry prone obviously has a big foot inside the RTE door, probably does a lot of corporate stuff for them.

Wouldn't crib too much about the numbers, just Wilson didn't seem to have the "weight" to carry the thing off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Who was that wagon that said she was crying the whole way through the speech? I mean, wtf, can't RTÉ get some guests on that can hold themselves together for a freakin' speech?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

Who was that wagon that said she was crying the whole way through the speech? I mean, wtf, can't RTÉ get some guests on that can hold themselves together for a freakin' speech?

I think that might have been Marie-Louise O'Donnell. She was on with Pat Kenny this morning talking about how emotional she was during his speech...cringe inducing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Native Hawk

Again - more tax payers money being wasted and nobody held responsible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,013 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Again - more tax payers money being wasted and nobody held responsible!
    Steady on - after 4 negative posts you deduct that it was a waste of tax payers money. Perhaps there are thousands out there who thought it was excellent!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

It did give us back Rachael for a while. Back today too. I wanna be the meat in a Aine Lawlor/ Rachael sambo.

Waste of tax payers money? I don't get that line. What alternative? Dickhead Bird out thwattling about on his lonesome reporting back to base on what he's interpreting? Nonsense. RTE's the national broadcaster and it's its duty to pull the stops out at such historical events. Ok I don't think it got it fully right in that Wilson was out of kilter, but that's how it goes: sometimes your presenters can lose sight and miss the listener. But on the whole I thought it a pretty decent stab. But in no way does a waste of taxes come into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Wouldn't crib too much about the numbers, just Wilson didn't seem to have the "weight" to carry the thing off.

If it was weight you were looking for George Hook was covering it over on Newstalk.:D

Advertisement