Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctor in Balbriggan

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

Little Ted wrote: »
    As another poster pointed out, this is quite a bump up on an old thread.

Its just a pity that Dr O'Mathuna was sued for malpractice. This along with a bad experience I had of him would give me no reason at all to recommend him. Initially I too thought he was great, but soon thought different.

That's very interesting. Where did you hear that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Just read this now after a quick Google search.

http://www.injury-compensation.ie/news/tag/medical-negligence-claims/page/2/

Failure to Diagnose in Opera Singer Case costs HSE Over 2 Million Euros
    Tuesday, 22 February, 2011

Thirty six year old Elaine Lennon was an award-winning opera singer, with a bright future ahead of her both as a singer and as a recently qualified psychologist. However, in February 2007, she started suffering headaches during the pregnancy of her daughter Claudia, and attended the accident and emergency unit of Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda, County Louth.
    There, Mr. Justice John Quirk heard at the High Court, she was diagnosed by a medical registrar as suffering from a urinary tract infection and referred to a midwife, who assessed she was about to give birth and ordered that Elaine underwent a Caesarean section to deliver Claudia.
    Claudia was born a healthy baby, but the headaches and neck stiffness continued and Elaine failed to respond to antibiotics. Doctors at Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital twice queried whether a CT scan of her brain should be performed but none was done, and Elaine and her baby were discharged a week after the birth.
    Had a CT scan of Elaine´s brain been carried out at the time, doctors would have noticed an abscess which later burst into the ventricles. Instead, she attended her GP´s clinic at Castle Mill Medical Centre, Balbriggan, where Dr. Patrick Mathuna administered an injection which temporarily stopped the headaches and vomiting which had developed.
    Dr. Mathuna called on Elaine several days later, determined that she was suffering from post-natal depression and prescribed a sedative. Later that day, she collapsed at home and was admitted to Our Lady of Lourdes Accident and Emergency Department by ambulance. The following morning, Elaine suffered two seizures after which a CT scan was performed which revealed the extent of Elaine´s illness.
    Suing the Health Service Executive and Dr. Mathuna through her father, the court heard how Elaine formerly of Newhaven Bay, Balbriggan, County Dublin, is now confined to a wheelchair and can only speak in a whisper. She also requires 24 hour care due to the doctors failing to notice her brain injury.
    Approving an interim compensation settlement of 2.39 million Euros, Mr. Justice John Quirke said that, were it not for her injuries, Elaine had the potential to make a lot of money in the future. Both the HSE and Dr. Mathuna admitted liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 bustertypsy

SuzyS1972 wrote: »
    I concur about Dr O'Mathuna - lovely personable doctor - has plenty of time for his patients .

I agree, he is very pleasant and personable.Had a 10 minute chat with him about Canada (where he's from) with him.He certainly isn't a rusher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ifoolu

Hi all

My family wif and kids and myself have been going to Doctor O'Mathuna too. He is reliable and very personable . He has helped our family since 2008 and always made us feel safe. He has all the kind qualities of a caring human being.

Pat Woods and Family

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭NorthDub

Hi I know this is an older thread and want to find gp in balbriggan, are all the older recomendations on various GP still good. I just want to do a bit of research before deciding which practice to register with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

While I have not attended him myself, I have heard only good things about Dr Conor McGrane in the Bracken Clinic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

NorthDub wrote: »
    Hi I know this is an older thread and want to find gp in balbriggan, are all the older recomendations on various GP still good. I just want to do a bit of research before deciding which practice to register with.
    While I have not attended him myself, I have heard only good things about Dr Conor McGrane in the Bracken Clinic.

Dr McGrane is my doctor, and I find him fantastic. Be prepared for a wait to see him, but the upside of that, he does spend a lot of time with you. Worth the queue IMO.

Advertisement