Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air in radiators

Options
  • 21-01-2009 8:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have 11 radiators in my house. 2 of them upstairs keep getting air in them. One of them needs bleeding almost everyday, the other once a week.
    They wer installed less than a year ago.
    The one which needs bleeding everyday was turned off for about 6 months during the summer months.
    I have had 2 new radiators installed downstairs within the last couple of months and they are okay.
    What could be the cause?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Not enough water in the system - look back for posts on topping up the system.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭willbur

yes water is the issue put there could be a leak so check all pipes near the rads allso ckeck under carpet if you have a sub floor down stairs , fill the system to 1 bar and late a night listen to the floor near the rads you might be luckly to find it, :cool:pm me if no joy

• Registered Users Posts: 37 twilo

Hi all, i have the exact same problem. We moved into the house 2 yrs ago. Its a new house but the rad in the en suite never fired up totally, in where i would have beld this a few times over the 2 years. Before xmas i came home one evening turned on the heating on nothing happened. We called a pulmber in where he had to bleed the pump in the outiside oil burner. Quiet lot of air came out of that pump and the heating worked ok for a few days. Its zoned heating in where the sitting room rad is constantly air locked and some rads upstairs are also air locked and need constant bleeding. I checked the small tank in the attic and its constantly filling. Not sure if its a faulty ball cock or do we have a leak somehere. I have checked all of the rads and cannot find any leak. But to sum it all up the rads are not heating to full capacity and the house is cold which doesnt help in these freezing temperatures. We called the builder and he said he is not liable to fix this as it is outisde of the 6 month period from when we bought the house. Does anyone know if the builder has to come out to correct this or do we just have to pay for it ourselves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 avondale

Hi,
    If there's water flowing into your small tank in the attic then
    it's very likely you have a leak, It's also likely to be downstairs
    as you would have noticed if your ceiling was wet :rolleyes:
    In a new house it's usually a poor connection or someones put a nail etc through you pipe !

• Registered Users Posts: 37 twilo

Hi Avondale,
    Any idea as to where i should look for the leak. I cant see any accumalation of water anywhere downstairs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 avondale

Hi Twilo,
    You could start with pipework on the surface like out at the boiler, in the hot press, around the rad's etc. then under the floors lino, carpets (could be carpet grips nailed around edges !) the pipework should be on top of the floor dampcourse which will
    force the water to the surface under the floor covering, try starting from where the pipes enter the house from the boiler and they usually run through the hallway and branch out to the rad's,
    You could try ask the not so helpful builder who the plumber was as he would know the
    system inside out and it would be easier for him to find the problem and he should stand over his work !
    hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

twilo wrote: »
    Hi Avondale,
    Any idea as to where i should look for the leak. I cant see any accumalation of water anywhere downstairs.

If the tank is constanly filling and the leak is not showing up in the house, and you have an outside boiler, it is likely that it is underground outside (or under wooden floors).
    Jim.

Advertisement