Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

job and tattoo question...

Options
  • 21-01-2009 8:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

So I am planning on doing Dental Assisting and eventually going for Dental Hygeine. I am dead set on getting a quote tattooed on my forearm, but I am afraid about jobs in the future. Does anyone know how people react to having tattoos when your trying to find a job? Its not some spider or anything crazy, its a simple 8 worded phrase that I want to get in small writing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,437 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think a lot of patients would be put off by tatooed medical staff, so I think discretion would be important.

Separately from a medical point of view, make sure you don't get any infections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 chelsey

I just realized, dont they wear long sleeved coats anyways?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

chelsey wrote: »
    I just realized, dont they wear long sleeved coats anyways?
    I could be wrong, but I don't think dental assistants/hygenists do wear long sleeved coats... ?

I'd find someone with a tattoo a little more interesting, but then again, I am into them so can't really answer that without any bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I've a friend who does something dentisty (possibly a dental nurse, not sure), she wears scrubs in work and has a tattoo on her forearm and it's never been an issue. Mind you I think the place she works is pretty liberal, they don't mind her having purple hair and suchlike.

I have an office job and my small forearm tattoo was never an issue when I was being interviewed for it, a few of us in the office have tattoos in the same place actually. Not the same as a medical job but how and ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

times are changing, people's attitudes towards tattoo's and piercings are changing. Chances are whoever's interviewing you has a tattoo or thought about getting one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I'm sure it'd be covered. So it's not an issue.

Might I suggest that you would consider what careers you see yourself in before getting any tatts done? In some professions, (ignore the rights/wrongs of it) people with piercings are not going to be looked at fairly. More conservative professions/employers will not look as kindly at the idea of a tattoo as some other professions.

Hell, in what I want to do, having long hair as a lad is looked at as dangerous from a professional perspective (image matters :rolleyes:) and that's a battle I'll have to fight in the future.

Worst case scenario - they don't like it - keep it hidden, and you'll be grand.

Ya I mean it would be very very small. I just dont want to eff up the rest of my life for a tattoo, but I realllly want it! lol

I also dont want to be stuck wearing long sleeves at any job I might have in the future for the rest of my life, since I do live in AZ lol

Idk what to do, my neighbor is a dental hygienist, but she is a strict christian and I know she will give me a lecture about tattoos, even though I already have 4. I might just call up a dentist's office and ask..

thanks for the advice everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Modern day tattooing has nothing to do with religion, if she gives you any hassle you can tell her where to stick her bible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Raze_them_all suggests you get a printer, make several hundred copies and pass around the neighbourhood
    n678425742_1479219_6005.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

What I'm trying to say is make your own decisions, hopefully they will be informed ones (which you are trying to do)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

chelsey;During an interview, you'll probably be wearing a long sleeved shirt or jacket of some kind, so any prospective employers wont see it, and not give you a job for having it.

As regards clients seeing it, you can prob get scrubs with long sleeves, or perhaps be allowed to wear something under short sleeved scrubs. But then, like its been said, peoples attitudes are changing, and tatts aren't a problem with most people. I know I wouldn't have one.
    Raze_them_all suggests you get a printer, make several hundred copies and pass around the neighbourhood
    n678425742_1479219_6005.jpg
    LOL

ya thats true, thanks everyone!

Advertisement