Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ice in car park = Burst Tyre...!!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

To be fair, as Vectra said, he got quite a fright, and it only happened this morning. He has had a little time to calm down, and has reconsidered.

Fair play OP, and again my sympathies. It's an awfully easy mistake to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭victor1

delly wrote: »
    Dignity would be one reason.
    Dignity ? yes you could look at it from that aspect fair enough,
    but who knows he may pay, im not saying i think he should, the op is at fault, it was a accident and liability would appear to be with him, but i would say he has a fair chance if he asked the shop they may pay!! why not - he's not losing anything by asking, oh sorry except "his dignity"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Its an act of god.

Actually thats not true, the person responsible for this is Jack Frost ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

victor1 wrote: »
    he's not losing anything by asking, oh sorry except "his dignity"
    Sarcasm aside Victor, some people actually place worth on such a quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

vectra wrote: »
    I hit the brakes immediatly which made no difference. I let them off again and turned the wheel the opposite way which made no difference so I satraightened the wheels again and floored the brakes..
    No hope of stopping :eek:

I'm sorry to hear that this experience happened to you...

One piece of advice though, using your brakes only makes things worse in those conditions (as you found out)!!

I hope you are ok though and not too shaken up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

I'm delighted to see all the responses here. Really restores my faith in people.

An accident that was completely his own fault and he is looking for someone to blame it on. Now, I'm not saying the OP is a bad driver or anything. It was just one of these things that could happen to any of us. But sh1t happens. Take it on the chin and move on.

Sarcasm aside Victor, some people actually place worth on such a quality.

Worth,? did not think that was being discussed, anyway i can tell we'l continue to see different aspects so i'll refrain from comment, i seem to have repeated my self a fair bit regarding what i think op should do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

dude, if you know him, no harm in chancing it - he might not be 100% sure of "assignment" of liability if there is any if u are lucky he may fork out
    i Disagree, why not, if he says no he says no, OP no harm in chancing it
    Dignity ? yes you could look at it from that aspect fair enough,
    but who knows he may pay, im not saying i think he should, the op is at fault, it was a accident and liability would appear to be with him, but i would say he has a fair chance if he asked the shop they may pay!! why not - he's not losing anything by asking, oh sorry except "his dignity"

:rolleyes:
    You're a piece a work aren't ya...

Seriously, the roads were LETHAL this morning - how could the OP 'not know' this within 10 secs of lesving his house? :confused:
    And only a morally bankrupt skinflint would even THINK about hitting up the property owner (legal liability or not)...

pburns wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    You're a piece a work aren't ya...

Seriously, the roads were LETHAL this morning - how could the OP 'not know' this within 10 secs of lesving his house? :confused:
    And only a morally bankrupt skinflint would even THINK about hitting up the property owner (legal liability or not)...

Nope, just expresssing an opinion:)

• Advertisement

I think it is worth me posting again just to clarify the point to the OP and anyone else who does not know (I'll make it simple also)......

ICE + BRAKES = RECIPE FOR DISASTER / STUPID / BAD IDEA etc!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Actually, OP could have a point here, I parked my car in Dunnes the other day and a bird crapped on it, can I get dunnes to pay for the car wash?

Actually, OP could have a point here, I parked my car in Dunnes the other day and a bird crapped on it, can I get dunnes to pay for the car wash?

Yes this happened to me before and they paid straight away, whats better was they caught the bird that did it,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Ive just walked into a closed door. Although it was blindingly obvious that the door was shut it seems I failed to notice and walked straight into the glass itself which is surronded by a door frame. Nobody made any effort to tell me the door was shut and my nose was badly stubbed. I know the person who owns the door and im considering giving him a good talking to. I have walked through many doors up and down this country and I never thought this would happen. Every door should have somebody warning them its closed other wise everybody will be walking into closed doors all over the place. Just not on. Who do I sue? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

It could be worse guys.

Take a gander at this for serious ice slippage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npTRXr4Sgxg&feature=rec-HM-r2

I lol'd at the 4 posts before this one :D

• Advertisement

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Every door should have somebody warning them its closed other wise everybody will be walking into closed doors all over the place.

Think of all the jobs that could be created during these recession filled times :P

kingtut wrote: »
    Think of all the jobs that could be created during these recession filled times :P

Im not standing near flower beds though, sounds a right dangerous job :p

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Its a bit of a basic thing to know when you loose it on ice not to jump on the brakes.
    kingtut wrote: »
    I
    ICE + BRAKES = RECIPE FOR DISASTER / STUPID / BAD IDEA etc!!!

i dont think you as much driving experience as you say.

i drive about 5,000 miles a year and even i know the above.

it was an accident.

just be thankful you didnt do more damage to your car or to a pass-er-byer

you should be thanking the gods, it is only going to cost you a new tyre and not a day in court.

sometimes irish people make me sick, with their whole its not my fault, i am a brilliant driver, its everyone elses fault.

you really need to cope on to yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,502 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

OP from how you describe the accident, it seems your attempt to control the car was v poor. Perhaps this is what you should concentrate on for now. Perhaps some skid pan driving might do more good for the future than trying to go after the shop for the price of a tyre.
    If the carpark was sufficiently grippy for you to drive to the parking space without any hint of a slide until you hit the brakes, I feel that good sense behind the wheel should have been able to rescue the situation given that there was a bit of space between your proposed parking space and the scene of the accident. If you had got all wheels rolling (no brakes) with as little turning as possible, Im sure you could have avoided this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

mickdw wrote: »
    OP from how you describe the accident, it seems your attempt to control the car was v poor. Perhaps this is what you should concentrate on for now. Perhaps some skid pan driving might do more good for the future than trying to go after the shop for the price of a tyre.
    If the carpark was sufficiently grippy for you to drive to the parking space without any hint of a slide until you hit the brakes, I feel that good sense behind the wheel should have been able to rescue the situation given that there was a bit of space between your proposed parking space and the scene of the accident. If you had got all wheels rolling (no brakes) with as little turning as possible, Im sure you could have avoided this
    In fairness to the OP, on sheet ice (no grip whatsoever) it doesn't make a blind bit of difference what you do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Either way, as far as i can see, this is nobodies fault but the OP's.

Is this another example of a culture in Ireland of claiming off others? Our so called "suing culture"?

Man up and except the responsibilty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Just out of curiousity, lets say you skidded and hit into a parked car?

Do you blame them for parking their car there? Or do you blame the shop? Or do you take responsibility?

It was icey, and i'm sure you didn't need a sign to tell you that. Unlucky that your car skidded and hit the kerb. It was a carpark, think about it, it could of been alot worse than hitting a flower bed.

Take it on the chin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Just out of curiousity, lets say you skidded and hit into a parked car?

Then he wouldn't ahve to worry about a burst tyre......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,613 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Hahaha
    Some of the above posts make me laugh at your ignorance

Do any one of you have a perfect picture of the area it happened??

Maybe i should take a picture for you and show how much room/time i had to react.
    As for braking on ice.

I always brake when turning right at this point ( And this was the instant I discovered it was Icy which was apparently too late anyway )
    otherwise you would be simply going too fast for the space available

you know what.
    I will take a pic of the spot and get some approx measurements.
    I will then document my full manouver for you "Know Alls" :rolleyes:

You go do that. Mind you dont slip.....

PS. I take no pleasure in hearing you damaged your car. Just wanted to say that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The main thing is nobody got hurt here
    The second thing is no other vehicle was involved so this can sorted quickly and easily.

You claim to be a very experienced driver OP and maybe it's your pride that's hurt so you're just looking for someone to blame and lashing out.
    What me??? Make a mistake?? Never!

Anyway, if you were to consult a solicitor and pay their hourly rate it'll probably exceed the damage you are going have to pay to mechanic for labour and parts

It's a small accident, these things happen and be grateful nobody got hurt.

And some of the comments on this thread are hilarious, great thread :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Hahaha

Maybe i should take a picture for you and show how much room/time i had to react.
    As for braking on ice.

I always brake when turning right at this point ( And this was the instant I discovered it was Icy which was apparently too late anyway )

you know what.

Be careful

It might help to establish your liability if the supermarket owners decide to come after you for damage to the kerb and flower bed :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭maidhc

But no matter what way you put it you were still wrong. You were in control of the speed of the car. The idea is in icy conditions NOT to brake, that means you should approach the corner at a speed where braking is not required.

You don't feel your approach is a bit like this:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0268437/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Hmm....

you could sue the shop for not informing you of the coefficient of friction between your tyre and their car park surface. At what friction coefficient does the shop become liable for damage caused?

Or sue the architect who designed the flower bed in the exact location where you were going to skid when it was icy?
    :p

Mr.David wrote: »
    Hmm....

you could sue the shop for not informing you of the coefficient of friction between your tyre and their car park surface. At what friction coefficient does the shop become liable for damage caused?

Or sue the architect who designed the flower bed in the exact location where you were going to skid when it was icy?
    :p

You know, you're right. I never thought of that. He could even sue the tyre manufactuer for not informing him of the exact moment of lose of adhesion in cold an icy conditions, clearly an oversight on their behalf.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭meesa

OP I hope you never consider driving while it`s dark out...I mean you would have to put your lights on and I haven`t seen any `put your lights on now` signs to date..could be disasterous! :pac::pac::pac:
    p.s. if I`ve upset you...sue me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

First off,
    I am NOT a fool :mad:

And I would ask you to retract that remark now.
    When you have as much mileage covered as I have and maybe have you drivers licence with as many boxes ticked as I have then come and make silly remarks like that.....;)
    Nobody called you a fool, but I'm wondering why with remarks like that and this experience to show it's all just egotistical bull :rolleyes:

Thank god there is one person on here with a bit of savy.

I would like to make this a bit clearer for everyone.

the kerb I hit would be about the same as on your driveway at home.
    That is what I hopped on and it was surrounding a flower bed.
    Now do you get a better picture?
    Speed had absolutley nothing to do with this.
    There's a kerb about 2 inches high in my grandparents driveway. If I hit it at parking speed I'd make it onto the lawn and stop dead (and have done)
    whippet wrote: »
    I don't think he called you a fool .. he said that any fool would have known about the conditions.

If the kerb was as you describe then you really must have hit it at a fair pelt to make a hole in your tyre. Then again, in your original post you say it was a high kerb? So was it high or low?

You describe in glowing terms your driving experience, however, your descriptions of the events this morning would contradict yourself!
    Exactly. Even hitting a kerb at 10 mph wouldn't do damage to a tyre head on
    As the maj of the posters have stated, I'd unfortunatley imagine you would be at fault the tip, while you may have also been very careful this morning in the car park, these things sometimes just happen, it may not have been down to carelessness and not reading road conditions, i was driving like miss daisy the last 2mornings, very very carefully and nearly lost car also half a dozen times, I doubt it if the supermarket will entertain that they are liable, but i guess you could ask them and they may as a goodwill gesture pay it, if not looks like u;ll have to suck it up and take cost ureself:(
    Negligence is more complicated than not salting a car park, it's beyond reason to expect it. It's cold out (where you are anyway, I haven't seen very cold weather really), there's going to be ice. ESPECIALLY in a low traffic area.
    I was able to read road conditions.

Unlike you
    You read my post wrong.

It did not happen on the road
    It happened in a PRIVATE car park
    Sorry my bad, I just assumed when you said carpark and slippery surface that it was paved and not a mud field. Cop on. It makes no difference.
    Supposing a family member of yours was walking across this particular car park this morning and slipped and got badly injured..

Would it be their own fault for being so stupid for walking on a slippery surface??
    Yes, of course it would, which is why you see people walking slowly on frosty days, some people even scuff along the footpath. It's hardly like it's unexpected.
    Vectra, I can't believe that you are actually friends with the owner and your thinking about approaching him for compensation.

Seriously dude, I think you need a reality check.
    +1
    tbh wrote: »
    urgh. Sickening, tbh.

true, i suppose, as long as you don't care what other people think of you. Words like "chancer" come to mind.
    Saab Ed wrote: »
    Ive just walked into a closed door. Although it was blindingly obvious that the door was shut it seems I failed to notice and walked straight into the glass itself which is surronded by a door frame. Nobody made any effort to tell me the door was shut and my nose was badly stubbed. I know the person who owns the door and im considering giving him a good talking to. I have walked through many doors up and down this country and I never thought this would happen. Every door should have somebody warning them its closed other wise everybody will be walking into closed doors all over the place. Just not on. Who do I sue? :D
    Actually in that situation, you would have a case, which is why all full length glass doors have those little sandblasted dots on them...to warn there's an obstacle.

Put it down to experience and don't stress about it like you obviously did this morning. It's only a tyre...and try to remember that cold weather brings icy roads in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Hahaha

As for braking on ice.

you know what.

OP, I have no doubt you did have an accident & the conditions may have made it unavoidable to some degree. But stop trying to blame someone else. **** happens, get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Maybe you should've had your winter tyres on:D

Hey OP if you succeed let me know. I want to sue my local supermarket letting some old lady bash my car with her tolly.

Yeah i want to do the same... Some oul one hit me with her trolley the other day too.......

Yeah i want to do the same... Some oul one hit me with her trolley the other day too.......

Wow this forum even has people to correct your spelling mistakes!

How very helpful and relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

ronoc wrote: »
    Hey OP if you succeed let me know. I want to sue my local supermarket letting some old lady bash my car with her trolley.

picard-facepalm.jpg

Your welcome! ;):D

I think the big thing this thread has improved for me, is my awareness of the chancers out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I think we're done here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement