Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage relief

Options
  • 21-01-2009 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

Hi I have a quick question regarding mortgage relief

My father has been told that he is eligible for mortgage relief, and has been given a form to fill in entitled

"Mortgage Interest Tax Relief at Source -TRS1P"

He isn't the best at filling out forms, which is why Im giving him a hand.

Now here's the tricky part...

The mortgage is in both my mother and father's name. She left us about 4 years and has never been seen since, although we know where she works, we cannot make contact with her as she refuses to entertain us (Long story!!)

On this form is asks for my dads spouses pps number (not a problem as Im sure he would remember this) but it also asks for spouses signature.

My question is "Is it necessary to provide her details if they are separated?" Mor importantly, is it necessary to obtain her signature????

Their separation is not a legal one, she just walked out 4 years ago, and that was that.

thank you very much for any help you can give

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Brainz

just tell your dad to fill in his section and ignore the section re spouse - he will be entitled to a max of 37.50 p/m from 2009 onwards and for the previous years he will be entitled to 50 p/m -

if he hasnt claimed ever he will only be entitled to apply for the last 4 years but this could equate to 2400 once he is approved -

At the moment there is a backlog of a few weeks so dont expect this overnight -any more questions just PM me.

Also if your dad has seperated its probably best he looks into buying her out of the property so that the property is in his name only because if any thing happend ie he dies she will be entitled to the house as her name is still on the deeds

Advertisement