Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oz east coast - buy / rent vehicle?

Options
  • 21-01-2009 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

A friend and I (both female, both 24) will be spending 3/4 mths in Oz and are looking for the best way to travel along the east coast, prob from Adelaide to Cairns. Must be economical, reliable and flexible so I was checking out campervan rental but tbh it seems very expensive. Was also thinking of buying a ford falcon station wagon from this company - Travellers Auto Barn. Anyone used them before? They buy the car back from you at the end of your trip and offer 24 hour call out and assistance. A rough guide is about 5000 dollars for the car itself and for the petrol for the distance we want to go. It can sleep 2 people comfortably but obv no toilet / shower so how does that work without paying to use hostels / camp grounds? Seems like a decent price, but is it really? Has anyone done anything similar before?

Sorry for yet another post on Oz but couldn't find relevant info elsewhere!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

forget trying to sleep in a Falcon, seriously uncomfortable I've done it, even if you get a LWB landcruiser theres still the issue of the sticky heat. Hostels are cheap and cheerful accomodation.

I know the guy that runs Autobarn they are a decent company and the Buyback is a good deal. what they offer mainly is peace of mind, think of as a rental car.

check to make surethat they have a depot in Cairns (I'mfairly sure thy do)

If you check their website they also sell Vans, this might be the more sensible option.
    there are laws in most states about camping randomly with tents n stuff, but parkin i a different situation.

if ya want to fly into Brisbane First I can sell ye a car for about $1500, no buyback tho, hell I wont even Guarantee that it'll make it out of the yard :D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sadhbhc15

Tempting offer...... :)

Yeah I've checked the website, they have a depot in Cairns. Ok so if we weren't to sleep in the car, does it make any sense to buy one to simply get from A to B, then camp or hostel at night? I'd love to rent a campervan but it's too expensive tbh.
    Basically my q is - what is the cheapest (and most flexible) way of travelling along the east coast from Adelaide to Cairns, considering accommodation, travel, food, etc.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

A lot of towns on the Great ocean Road do not allow sleeping in cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 mdrizzle

I just returned from Oz after year long trip. If you want to hire proper campervan (with toilets and stuff) check out http://www.apollocamper.com/reloc.aspx You can hire the vans goin one way (relocating them for the hire companies), they sometimes only charge $1 day and give you money for fuel :D, only prob is you have to leave at certain dates and be in the destination city within a time limit, You also could go with wicked campervan hire but they are overated and unreliable cos the vans have gone round Oz around 30 times each and tend to break down, renting is dead money, you never see it again, with Travellers auto barn your guaranteed some money back but not alot (the longer you own the vehicle the less they will give you back) but you could always sell it privately, I bought a campervan in Cairns for $3000 and sold it in Sydney $4000!!! Camp sites are between $5 and $15 dollors a nite but you wont get to meet as many people as you do in hostels ($12-$45 a nite)
    Enjoy your trip! Lucky sods!!!! :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sadhbhc15

Thanks mdrizzle - some good advice there! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 fetishphil

sadhbhc15 wrote: »
    A friend and I (both female, both 24) will be spending 3/4 mths in Oz and are looking for the best way to travel along the east coast, prob from Adelaide to Cairns. Must be economical, reliable and flexible so I was checking out campervan rental but tbh it seems very expensive. Was also thinking of buying a ford falcon station wagon from this company - Travellers Auto Barn. Anyone used them before? They buy the car back from you at the end of your trip and offer 24 hour call out and assistance. A rough guide is about 5000 dollars for the car itself and for the petrol for the distance we want to go. It can sleep 2 people comfortably but obv no toilet / shower so how does that work without paying to use hostels / camp grounds? Seems like a decent price, but is it really? Has anyone done anything similar before?

Sorry for yet another post on Oz but couldn't find relevant info elsewhere!

Hi have you see web site gumtree it's a backpacker site link to oz city they post ad up for car's,van and camper.you can post up a ad saying you looking for you mite have a reply back people who travel a round. that my bit hope it help you and hope you have a nice time :):):)

Advertisement