Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

insulating under interior doors

Options
  • 21-01-2009 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

We have quite big gaps (about 2 in) under our interior doors and would like to insulate them. What options are there?

I saw they sell brushes or rubber pieces you can attach on the bottom, but they don't look very nice.

Another alternative would be to put thresholds but we have small kids and they would be tripping over them.

We can't move the door lower as it leaves an ugly gap on the top.

Any other possible solutions? (apart from replacing the doors)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 CamGirl

anybody?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 hello100

Hi

2 inchs / 50mm is a big gap to fill without it being noticed , why is there such a big gap , is it a new/old house . What size are the doors , I have a friend who imports doors , let me know .

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭drag0n79

CamGirl wrote: »
    We have quite big gaps (about 2 in) under our interior doors and would like to insulate them. What options are there?

I saw they sell brushes or rubber pieces you can attach on the bottom, but they don't look very nice.

Another alternative would be to put thresholds but we have small kids and they would be tripping over them.

We can't move the door lower as it leaves an ugly gap on the top.

Any other possible solutions? (apart from replacing the doors)

2 inches is a lot (is it really that much?). You could take off the doors, fit a piece of timber to the bottom, with a bit of filler and paint you may never notice the new piece, then rehang the door. Or get a piece with bevelled edges, might finish the bottom of the door off nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

2 inches is a huge amount to try and seal for draughts Drag0n suggestion is the best, remove door and add on,glue screw and a bit of filler ,lick of paint presto a much smaller gap.
    I did see recently in the US the internal doors in the house had a v groove cut into the bottom of the door and the brush was aluminium banded to match the groove it just slotted into place and gave a really good fit.

regards
    Builditwell

• Registered Users Posts: 21 CamGirl

Thank you, just measured the gap with the measuring tape and it is in fact 1.5 inches (I seem to have over-estimated it, sorry! :o) Not sure what type of door is it, just standard one (doesn't look solid wood) The house is 10 years old.

Will look into attaching piece of wood on the bottom and painting it:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Heatherview

Hi camgirl
    Attached sketch on how to remedy door problem
    Heatherview

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭tipperary

Hi

just wondering if there is a door saddle under the door? If not, putting one in would not look out of place, and would take about an inch off the gap beneath the door. The half inch gap that would remain is probably about right to allow for adequate ventilation of the various rooms.

Advertisement