Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flat battery or dodgy sparks?

• 21-01-2009 11:39am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I took the bike out for the first time since xmas and duh @ me, i forgot to turn it over last week so its not starting.

Whats your opinion on the issue, i would have thought its a flat battery but im not sure. Anyway here are symptoms.

Turn key and lights come on as normal. When i hit starter button, it barely turns over and then resorts to make clicking noises from the engine. The lights fade as i hit starter button. When i stop turning it over and turn on my full lights they work fine.

Am i going mad and it is just the battery is flat or have aliens invaded my motorcycle? Its a Deauville. incidentally, its a ridiculously difficult, if not impossible, bike to push start!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Battery is flat, clicking noise is because the solenoid hasn't got enough power to make the connection.
    Lights don't use anywhere as much power as a starter, thats why they work.
    Starters use lots of current.
    My advice buy a smart charger like an optimate and fit the plug top your battery, and when not in use leave it plugged in.
    That way your battery will always be fully charged and ready to go.
    I have an Optimate on my bike for years now and the battery is perfect.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Battery is flat, clicking noise is because the solenoid hasn't got enough power to make the connection.
    Lights don't use anywhere as much power as a starter, thats why they work.
    Starters use lots of current.
    My advice buy a smart charger like an optimate and fit the plug top your battery, and when not in use leave it plugged in.
    That way your battery will always be fully charged and ready to go.
    I have an Optimate on my bike for years now and the battery is perfect.

Thanks Charlie, that was my next question, which charger to get! :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Optimate are now doing a new version, Optimate 4. Even better than opt3. They are the bees knees alright.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Oryx wrote: »
    Optimate are now doing a new version, Optimate 4. Even better than opt3. They are the bees knees alright.

How much would I expect to pay for one?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

€50 to €60 online. Used to be more, about €70, but with sterling doing badly they've got cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Around £40 stg or the same in Euro:D

Ok cool, thanks :)

Advertisement